Author Topic: Dustin Martin on 'A Current Affair' Monday night  (Read 10834 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin on 'A Current Affair' Monday night
« on: February 20, 2017, 03:32:24 AM »
Dusty will be talking about his dad.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:44:02 AM by one-eyed »

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin on 'A Current Affair' tonight
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 06:51:30 AM »
Can he give Tracey Grimshaw a metaphorical fend off with a pair of chopsticks?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 10:46:04 AM »
Looking forward to this one.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 08:20:06 PM »
Peter Dutton = dead set wanker of the highest order.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 11:02:24 PM »
A Current Affair  :lol
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘It’s stupid’: Dusty’s plea over deported dad (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 03:46:24 AM »
‘It’s stupid’: Dusty’s plea over deported dad

Tom Morris
FOX SPORTS/Herald-Sun
Feb 21, 2017

RICHMOND star Dustin Martin has delivered a passionate plea to have his father returned to Australia.

Shane Martin, 49, was one of 81 current or former bikie gang members to have their visas negated by Federal Minister for Immigration and Border Protection Peter Dutton last March as part of a Federal Government crackdown.

He moved to Australia from New Zealand in 1990 but has spent the last 11 months away from his son, family and friends as part of the government’s deportation scheme.

Dustin Martin, who finished third in the 2016 Brownlow Medal, had not opened up on the matter until Monday night.

“He’s not what he might look like,” Martin told Channel 9.

“To have that taken away – you see all the other guys with their parents in the rooms after games – I don’t even have my Dad there. It’s pretty sad.

“If he was a criminal, I’d cop it. But they have just taken him away for association.

“It’s fair enough if he’s done something… to be just taken away for no reason and breaking up the family. I think it’s pretty stupid.”

Martin maintained his father is no longer part of a bikie gang. Instead, the 25-year-old drew a comparison between his association with Richmond and his dad’s current bikie associates.

“Just because he’s in a club, you can’t just say that he’s doing something wrong,” the 2016 All-Australian said.

“There are plenty of clubs out there. I’m in a footy club. He’s in a bikie club. They join and get together and go for rides. I go to my club and play football.”

Late last year, Shane Martin submitted a claim to return to Australia, saying he was of Aboriginal decent. The claim was rejected by a three-member board in early January.

Martin had hoped to use the confirmation to appeal his deportation.

“Many of these criminals will claim that they are being picked at random somehow or that we are picking people that don’t have criminal histories. It’s nonsense,” Minister Dutton told Channel 9.

“We are looking at those criminals who have been identified by police and intelligence agencies around the country that are the highest value targets.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-star-dustin-martin-opens-up-on-the-pain-of-his-fathers-deportation-to-new-zealand/news-story/464cfded67ca15e9c349b3edc36d8064

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin appeals for father's return on A Current Affair (Age)
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 03:49:28 AM »
Richmond Tigers star Dustin Martin appeals for father's return on A Current Affair

Neelima Choahan
The Age
February 21 2017

Richmond star Dustin Martin has urged the Federal Government to allow his deported father to return to Australia because "he hadn't done anything wrong"

In April last year, Shane Martin was deported to New Zealand for his alleged links to outlawed motorcycle gang, the Rebels, a link Dustin Martin confirmed in a television interview on Monday nigfht.

"I am in a footy club, he is in a bikie club," Martin has told Channel Nine's A Current Affair, adding his father was no longer part of the gang.

"I wake up every day hoping to get a phone call from dad, saying 'just hold on, I am coming back'," he said.

"Just because he was in a club doesn't mean he has done anything wrong.
Advertisement

"I am in a footy club, he is in a bikie club, they join, get together and go for rides."

Dustin Martin was born in Victoria but his father remains a citizen of New Zealand. Speaking from there, Shane told ACA not many parents had famous sons.

"Now I sit on the other side of another country, and I can't even enjoy that," he said.

"If I committed a murder, had domestic violence or had anything to do with a threat to Australia, as they say, I could wear it.

"But I have got no charges, nothing. That's pretty hard to swallow."

Dustin Martin, a skilful midfielder who finished third in the AFL's Brownlow Medal count last year, also spoke out about missing out on his dad's support. He has had his own troubles, apologising last year for threatening to stab a restaurant patron with a chopstick after she told a drunken Martin to behave at a Melbourne eatery.

"You see the other guys with their parents. I don't have my dad there. It is pretty sad. If he was a criminal, I would cop it," Martin said.

"Taking him away for association is no reason for breaking up the family.

"I think it is pretty stupid."

According to A Current Affair Shane Martin had consented to revealing his Australian criminal record, which the show reported dated to 1990, soon after his arrival from NZ.

It includes, the show reported, unlawful assault, burglary, armed with an intent, criminal damage and resisting police. He was ordered to carry out 250 hours of community work.

Over the next six years, Shane Martin was reportedly convicted and fined four times for possessing a restricted substance and once for possessing a drug of dependence.

In 2004, according to ACA, he received a two-month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months for aiding and abetting in the trafficking of ecstasy.

His last brush with the law was reportedly in January 2004, when he was convicted and fined for possessing a drug of dependence, and possessing ecstasy and cannabis. 

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/richmond-tigers/richmond-tigers-star-dustin-martin-appeals-for-fathers-return-on-a-current-affair-20170220-guh8wf.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin on 'A Current Affair' Monday night
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 06:37:47 AM »
I am pretty confident in saying Dusty was never going to say anything else  ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ruanaidh

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 06:59:42 AM »
I feel for Dusty but Dutton and the appellant board were right in keeping this bloke out of the Country. May many more follow him.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 10:35:37 AM »
I feel for Dusty but Dutton and the appellant board were right in keeping this bloke out of the Country. May many more follow him.

:help

"Rucks:

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 11:46:32 AM »
Both sides have valid points here.

IMHO the time to have deported him is when he committed his crimes. He has served his punishment now. There is no point in having deported him now when he is not doing anything wrong. Splitting a family up for no reason is draconian to say the least. If anyone can show me he is still linked to the drug trade then I will agree with them in he should stay in NZ but that does not seem to be the case now.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 12:36:38 PM »

IMHO the time to have deported him is when he committed his crimes. He has served his punishment now. There is no point in having deported him now when he is not doing anything wrong. Splitting a family up for no reason is draconian to say the least. If anyone can show me he is still linked to the drug trade then I will agree with them in he should stay in NZ but that does not seem to be the case now.

:thumbsup

"Rucks:

FlashGordon

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 12:45:36 PM »

But at the end of the day the world is up in arms with Trump and his wanting to ban Musilms from getting into the USA. but Dutton and fascists under the hood in the govt are ok, because of this.   :huh

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 02:43:24 PM »
No criminal offences for about 12 years... Seems a little strange to deport him now?

And FMD what a chest on the bloke, wouldn't mess with him LOL