Author Topic: ‘It’s very humbling’: KB statue outside the MCG unveiled .... (H-Sun)  (Read 340 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘It’s very humbling’: KB statue unveiled

Kate Salemme,
Herald Sun
March 22, 2017

RICHMOND and AFL legend Kevin Bartlett has been immortalised with a bronze statue outside the MCG unveiled today.

The statue is the latest addition to the Australia Post Avenue of Legends, alongside Norm Smith, John Coleman, Jim Stynes, Shane Warne and Neil Harvey.

Bartlett’s statue has been made to feature his iconic goal celebration, with two arms raised above his head.

“It’s very, very humbling to come here today and have so many people turn up, which I’m very appreciative of,” Bartlett said.

“To see so many of my old teammates and work mates here, when you have a life in sport there are so many people you’ve got to thank because you never do anything by yourself.

“Over the years I’ve had so many great teammates, coaches, administrators and people I’ve worked with over the years have been so good for me and encouraging.

“One of the things when Stephen Gough first rang up and informed us that we’d received this honour ... the family were just so excited. To think that my kids got so much enjoyment out of it, my grandkids got so much enjoyment out of it and of course the future Bartlett family will also have great enjoyment and therefore there is a link from now into the future with the generosity of the MCC.

“For that we are very, very thankful.”

Bartlett played 403 games — 200 of which were played at the MCG, the most of any player — and kicked 778 career goals and won five premierships with the Tigers in 1967, 1969, 1973, 1974 and 1977. He also won five best and fairest awards.

He became a legend of the AFL Hall of Fame in 2000.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/kevin-bartletts-legacy-guaranteed-after-bronze-statue-unveiled-outside-mcg/news-story/bf123a1a1b9df260b48fae2b5cda18ea

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Looks fantastic  :clapping
Compared to that atrocity outside Punt rd oval of Jack Dyer
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Jackstar 1960

Ended up attending the function in the G and the unveiling in the Avenue Of legends in Yarra Park
Fantastic morning with many explayers attending
Sheeds, Emmett Dunne , Roger Dean .Bill Perry ,Balmey, Flea just to name a few
For those going tomorrow night , it's worth going to have a look
Great statue which is the closest to Jolimont Station as you enter the car park
Well done to Australia Post and the MCC  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 04:00:45 PM by Jackstar 1960 »

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
In before Chucky asks if he has apologised to Dusty yet.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame