Author Topic: Tigers’ Flea Amigos - Rioli, Castagna & Butler - have special buzz (Herald-Sun)  (Read 33103 times)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: The tiny tiger who typifies Richmond's new brand of footy (Foxsports)
« Reply #255 on: September 28, 2017, 06:40:28 AM »

A small forward who prides himself on pressure, he will often go through matches without impacting on the scoreboard.

I think he would impact more if he stopped hand balling through the goals, kicking out of bounds on the full, kicking around the body from straight in front and converting easy shots.

All that being said i am a fan of his general play and hope he can tidy up the conversion part of his game.
I thought he was really important on the weekend. I know I have a soft spot for the kid but if anyone watches the replay again, watch George closely. He must have halved about 6 high kicks into our forwardline and very nearly took a couple.
I hope he has a great grand final and we have a win.
There is a lot to like about George.

I like George too. His tackling is fantastic. His speed is a real asset and he does not shirk from a contest. He does need to work on his kicking particularly for goal. His marking is good.  We need him to have an enormous game against the crows.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Why Richmond’s small forwards hold the key to winning the GF: Brereton (H-Sun)
« Reply #256 on: September 29, 2017, 02:27:22 AM »
Dermott Brereton explains why Richmond’s small forwards hold the key to winning the Grand Final

Dermott Brereton,
Herald Sun
September 29, 2017

SO much has been made of the express pace in the Richmond forward line.

And although the club’s forwards have some genuinely slick wheels, it is another physical attribute that is not getting mentioned that I believe is the reason why the Tigers can win on Saturday.

That is endurance, the raw ability to keep running at full tilt while your opponent drifts behind.

The speedy tackling and pressure players in the forward line like Dan Rioli, Jason Castagna,

Dan Butler and Kane Lambert (when he pushes down through the midfield) are not only quick, but have massive tanks on them.

Trusting the eye, I could see that Rioli has endurance. So when this piqued my interest, it was not surprising to learn that he excelled at the Draft Combine as an 18-year-old.

He had elite speed sure, but he also blitzed the field for the repeat 30m sprint exercise.

Meaning that even before Richmond has built his tank with a couple of years of pre-season training, he had top-end elite stamina and endurance.

I looked at Castagna and the first item that jumps off the page with his combine results is a 15.2 beep test. That is an awesome number, a number that says the boy has endurance in his genes.

If you look at Butler’s scouting profile from the Ballarat Rebels it suggested that he was a tackling machine who ran all day. He averaged six tackles a game as a 17-year-old and had 17 alone in one game.

He was the small forward type that the Tiges were looking for when they were trying to turn Stephen Morris into a pressure forward a few years back.

So you can see the common traits between all these lads — all are lightning fast, but all are endurance beasts.

It’s worth noting that last weekend, in the third quarter when the game was up for grabs, the Giants’ fastest defender Nathan Wilson had to go to the bench to suck in some air and recuperate.

His Richmond opponents did not need to do the same.

And that is what these Richmond small forwards do, they run their opponents to exhaustion.

The class might be there led by Rioli, but don’t be fooled, these guys are fans of the grind.

Since the St Kilda debacle back in Round 16, the Tigers have torn apart the game.

With only one blemish, against Geelong at the narrow Simmonds Stadium arena in Round 21, the Tigers have averaged over 100 points per game since Round 16, which gives them much the same scoring potential as the Crows.

But it is the “grind” that has won me over.

In week one of the finals, Geelong was pretty brave, held at bay by around two goals for most of the match until the last break. Then the Cats just simply could not go with Richmond in the final quarter.

The endurance capabilities of those Richmond forwards were relentless and Geelong, as brave as they were, simply could not run with them or match their intensity.

Against the Giants, if you take out the Tigers’ two opening goals (literally kicked in the opening seconds), the Giants in a game sense were the better team until halfway through the third term. But then the Tigers put the foot down and once again their opponents could not go with them.

In nearly every game of AFL football two teams come out onto the field and go at each other. The first team to blink and drop their pressure gets scored against and that, then, is the game.

Similarly, 99 per cent of teams drop their pressure in the second half, by a lot or if you are a good team, just by a little.

But since Round 17, the Tigers have turned this footy truth on its head. It’s freakish.

Champion Data statistics show us that Tigers’ pressure actually goes up in the second half.

For me there are two major “if’s” for Saturday.

If the Crows blow the Tigers’ defence away in the first half, that is their best chance of success.

But if the Tigers are with hope and within striking distance at three-quarter time, they will overrun the Crows and the cup goes to Punt Rd.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/dermott-brereton-explains-why-richmonds-small-forwards-hold-the-key-to-winning-the-grand-final/news-story/e06291dca9a58f63ae94aa31dc0e46e4

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Never been a fan of Dermie after he punched Tony Free from behind 50 metres off play, but enjoyed the facts in that article

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Never been a fan of Dermie after he punched Tony Free from behind 50 metres off play, but enjoyed the facts in that article
There is no way that DH came up with those stats.

Very interesting though

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
I have been saying this for ages, it defies belief that they can sprint so much and keep going and that has ground teams into the dirt, with good tall marking sides, it can backfire if they are on and the weather is good because they move it around a lot and it back fires.  Saints and Crows got us like that when they dismantled us I reckon.  I noticed that we will force sides every now and then to chase kicks around a bit to run em ragged not to chew up time.  I saw Geebung and GWS die in the arse at 3/4 time, totally spent.  We can turn it around just like we did with the saints and give em a rogering
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
He's a bit of a flog but I usually rate Dermies opinion. Seems to know what he's talking about a lot of the time

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Adelaide coach Don Pyke boasting he's not only going to stop our small forwards but use them to the Crows' advantage.

ADELAIDE coach Don Pyke believes the Crows' backline can expose Richmond's mosquito fleet forwards with their superior height in Saturday's Grand Final at the MCG.

Pyke said the Crows thought about making a change, but backed in the likes of Kyle Hartigan and Jake Lever having the pace to compete when the ball hits the deck, while also picking off anything in the air.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-29/pyke-has-the-answer-for-tigers-mosquito-fleet

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Clearly, Adelaide will aim to try to control the corridor and force us wide down the line. Not only to set up Jacobs a kick behind the play but to slow us down and bomb the ball high into our F50. We've counted that in the other finals so far by surging in numbers around the contest and keeping the ball moving forward. That's brought our small forwards into the games and allowed them to have scoreboard impact on top of their collective forward defensive efforts.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
I think when going inside 50 and under pressure we need to basically kick a ground ball rather than just bombing it in.

A mongrel ball at ground level will trouble their defence so much more as it gives our mosquito fleet more opportunity to do their stuff. We have been doing this pretty well up til now and Pyke can say what he wants but such a tactic is extremely hard to counter.

dwaino

Laird is another one who competes well in the air. We're going to be pushing poo uphill but where there is a will there is a way.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
picked em like a booger
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
"Learning to be an expert kick takes a long time and if you start now, the better prepared you will be when the season starts," said Williams whose last full-time AFL role was as Richmond's head of development. "It's not just a ball for beginners. This ball helped the likes of (Richmond premiership players) Jason Castagna and Dan Butler get right up to AFL standard."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-10/game-changers-why-flags-are-built-in-december

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
First time back together this year: 5 goals combined and our famed forward pressure was back in vogue.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
First time back together this year: 5 goals combined and our famed forward pressure was back in vogue.

Rioli seems to be the key component on today's effort.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The talented trio had a collective tally of 15 tackles, 16 score involvements and five goals (out of the team’s total of 12).

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-06-19/tiger-band-hasnt-missed-a-beat

That's 16 out of a total of 23 :o.