Author Topic: Well done RFC/ Tyler Fishlock  (Read 31000 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Well done RFC
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2006, 05:04:54 PM »
3aw is reporting that Tyler's operation yesterday has been a success and he's so far adjusting well to life without sight.

Best wishes for the future to Tyler and his family.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2006, 05:08:14 PM »
Said he could be out of hospital tomorrow or the next day.  Sounds like the op went to plan  :thumbsup

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2006, 05:44:50 PM »
I hope the Club keep in contact with the little blokes family and when he is well enough I would love to see Tyler run out on the ground as our mascot for the day - with Johnno or Browny holding his hand (perhaps even carrying him) as they run through the banner :bow :bow

I reckon the Tiger Army would make enough noise that'd he'd know what's going on :thumbsup

The best idea I have ever heard.

I'll second that.

Good luck to Tyler and his family.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Well done RFC/Messages to Tyler
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 10:53:34 PM »
Just to let everyone know the RFC has on their web-site has set up an area where you can send messages to Tyler and his family. The plan is for the club to collect all the messages and then pass them onto Tyler and his family :clapping

Here's the link:

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=tyler&spg=messages
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tyler is learning to see by touch (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2006, 01:42:34 AM »

Tyler is learning to see by touch
Michelle Pountney
Herald-Sun
10feb06

TYLER Fishlock is learning to see the world through his hands. A day after doctors removed his remaining eye in a battle against a rare genetic cancer, the gutsy toddler told his mum Georgette he could "see" her through his hands.

"He said: `Mum, is it over, is my eye out?'," Mrs Fishlock said yesterday.
"I said `yes'. He said `I can't see you' and I moved closer to him, he grabbed my face and said `I can see you now'."

That moment was one of relief for Mrs Fishlock and husband Brad.

"It is the start of a new chapter of his life and we will move forward from this," she said.

Just hours after the operation to remove his remaining eye Tyler, 3, was sitting in bed singing the Richmond theme song keeping fellow patients at the Royal Children's Hospital awake.

Doctors operated for 90 minutes on Wednesday to remove Tyler's right eye after a 15-month battle with the eye cancer retinoblastoma.

The cancer had ravaged his left eye so badly it was removed soon after diagnosis.

Despite extensive chemotherapy and radiotherapy, his heartbroken parents last week learned the cancer had also claimed his right eye.

In a bid to stop the cancer spreading through the optic nerve to his brain, doctors removed the eye and part of the nerve in a delicate 90-minute operation.

Tyler is just the fourth child in 20 years at the Royal Children's Hospital to lose both eyes to retinoblastoma.

The fanatical footballer's last words before the operation were "Nathan Brown" in reference to his Tigers hero, who visited with teammate Kane Johnson at home on Tuesday.

He then added "I love you mummy and daddy".

"He's obviously taken this memory from the day before into surgery, which is fantastic," Mrs Fishlock said.

She said the footballers' visit was a precious final memory of sight for Tyler.

"He was ecstatic after the footballers left," she said. "It was just an unreal feeling to see my son so happy – a gift you could never buy to see the happiness on his face."

The couple are amazed at the resilience of their boy – how quickly he has begun to adjust to life without sight.

"Today was a turning point for me," Ms Fishlock said. "Tyler is still going to be able to see me in another way, in a touching way.

"Tyler is a very emotional and loving child anyway and to show his affection through touch is completely natural."

After the operation, the courageous toddler sat up talking to his parents and demanded juice and food to quell his rumbling stomach.

"He sang the Richmond theme song and I think half the ward heard him," Ms Fishlock said.

Proud father Brad predicted blindness would not stop Tyler from achieving in life.

"It's not going to keep him down. It will make him even more determined and he will achieve great things."

Ms Fishlock described their son as a hero.

"We have two beautiful children (daughter Madeleine, 8) and we appreciate our kids and know in our hearts that Tyler for us is a hero."

Tyler is expected to return home today.

A trust fund has been set up to help fund Tyler's education, continuing medical needs and another family car so his parents can drive him to blind school in Burwood from their Caroline Springs home.

To donate to Tyler's trust fund, quote account name G. and B. Fishlock, Suncorp Metway account, BSB: 484 799, account no. 083 854 523.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18095463%255E661,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2006, 01:59:56 AM »
If that article, and especially the bit about him singing the theme song before his op, doesn't bring a tear to your eye then I don't know what will  :'(.

What an amazingly brave kid! 

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2006, 11:33:58 PM »
What a brave little soldier, good luck to the kid. Hope he gets to hear the noise of Richmond in a granny and the feel of the Tiger premiership cup.

Life just aint fair sometimes - what do you say.

Maybe the reason I have no faith.

Moi

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2006, 12:04:13 AM »
Life just aint fair sometimes - what do you say.

Maybe the reason I have no faith.
My father has been sick since 1961.  Had the worst kind of health anyone could have, but he is still with us.  His life has been one where you question why God, if he exists, would inflict such horrors on any one individual, time after time after time, but he keeps on going.  He's 81 this year.

He is happy, he still contributes in his own way to this world, and I think it all comes down to a person’s attitude in how they deal with their plight.  I think little Tyler shows all those characteristics, even at such a very young age, and it’s that which I adore about him rather than why God has been so cruel.  If he stays that way, and I believe he has great character already, he can have a very happy life, no matter how long it is.

I don’t believe faith has much to do with it, but my mother (an extremely religious person) has worked overtime for many years online to someone up there lol.  Maybe there is something to faith, but I believe how you deal with your illness, the support you get makes a heap of difference – and most importantly, a positive attitude.  Not once have I ever heard my father whine.  He’s a top bloke  :thumbsup

I look at others who continually whine about what seem to me trivial things in comparison and i just roll my eyes and laugh.  As sad as it is, i have a good feeling that little Tyler will be okay  :)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2006, 06:13:02 PM »
Ch 9 news just showed young Tyler back at home  :thumbsup playing on his slide and with a huge toy dog and a Richmond beanbag he has received from complete strangers in the last couple of days.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2006, 06:30:27 PM »

Man, I doubt i could stand losing 2 eyes let alone one. The kid has plenty of courage

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2006, 03:04:34 PM »
If that article, and especially the bit about him singing the theme song before his op, doesn't bring a tear to your eye then I don't know what will  :'(.

SO ture MT - I saw him on the news back home playing on his slide and I smiled and then his Mum made a comment about how he'd asked her to turn the light son when they got home because it was dark and it broke my heart and then a second later he was finding his way around his home and my smile came back.

This young fella is a true hero - brave with no fear and I must add his parents and sister aren't that far behind either the courage they are all showing

:bow :bow :bow

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Moi

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2006, 09:55:54 PM »
Believe it or not, Tyler started kinder today.
Go kid  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2006, 02:05:15 AM »
Believe it or not, Tyler started kinder today.
Go kid  :thumbsup

That's great news :clapping

Moi

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2006, 07:41:12 AM »
Rumour File caller this morning said in the next couple of days, the RFC will do something to reconfirm what good guys they are.
That's all he said  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2006, 02:16:06 PM »
Neil Mitchell interviewed Tyler's mum this morning and the good news is Tyler just got the all clear and the cancer has been removed and hasn't spread to his brain.