Author Topic: Well done RFC/ Tyler Fishlock  (Read 30997 times)

Moi

Re: Well done RFC
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2006, 02:22:39 PM »
TYLER Fishlock and his parents yesterday got the news they had been anxiously waiting for.

Doctors at the Royal Children's Hospital told them Tyler was clear of the cancer that claimed his sight.
"We are just so relieved and so happy," said Tyler's mum, Georgette.

"As far as (the doctors) are concerned all the pathology shows there were multiple growths on top of each other in the eye but it was fully contained within the eye.

"It was ready to go off and spread like a time bomb. It was good timing for Tyler and us that he had it removed."

Last week Tyler lost his remaining eye to retinoblastoma -- a rare genetic cancer that he has been fighting for 15 months.

After surgeons finished the delicate surgery last Wednesday they sent the eye to pathologists to determine if the cancer had spread.

Yesterday's good news will allow the Caroline Springs family to relax.

But the little boy who has captured the nation's heart has not let losing his sight hold him back.

He is already back at kinder.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18161850%255E2862,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2006, 01:14:10 PM »
Some Braeside car dealership has given Tyler's family a brand new car. They said on 3aw that Tyler was playing the Richmond theme song on the horn :thumbsup. He was pressing it non-stop so they had to take the fuse out to do the interview ;D.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2006, 01:35:56 PM »
the car is appar done up black and yello and been signed by the players :thumbsup

Moi

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2006, 06:25:58 PM »
Tyler coming up on Channel 9

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2006, 07:57:46 PM »
Forgot to post the other day that 3aw also said that Tyler will get the chance to run out on the ground with the boys as the mascot next Saturday in our NAB Cup match against the Hawks. Someone must have read WP's suggestion on here. Once again top stuff by the RFC  :thumbsup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2006, 09:53:07 PM »
Good on ya Browny for giving Tyler a moment to remember forever today carrying him onto the Dome :thumbsup

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2006, 05:38:58 PM »
Watching the replay Channell 10 showed Tyler quite a bit - in the rooms before the game, Suga taking him through the banner and then giving him to Browny. Spoke to the Fishlock's at half time, Tyler was having a ball with his blow up finger. But the best moment was during the last quarter when we saw Tyler sound asleep in his Mum's arms just after we hit the front. Would have been a massive day for the little fella  :thumbsup

Kudos also to the Club for getting his big sister Madeline involved - she ran out through the banner too :thumbsup

There's a great photo of Browny carrying the little bloke and holding Madeline's hand as they wnet off the ground yesterday. You can find the pic in the Sunday HUN with the article that is posted as separate thread. Let me know if you want me to scan and post it - only problem with it is it is in B&W
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tyler Fishlock
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2006, 06:11:17 PM »
Great to see Tyler happy as larry on the news when he visited the Children's hospital today  :thumbsup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Well done RFC/ Tyler Fishlock
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2007, 12:30:53 PM »
Some kids cop more than their fair share in life to say the least  :(. Tyler Fishlock's mum was on 3aw before midday and apparently the poor kid copped an illness (sounded like an infection in his ears) that perforated his eardrum and now he may have lost some hearing in his right ear  :(.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2007, 01:01:16 PM »
Some kids cop more than their fair share in life to say the least  :(. Tyler Fishlock's mum was on 3aw before midday and apparently the poor kid copped an illness (sounded like an infection in his ears) that perforated his eardrum and now he may have lost some hearing in his right ear  :(.

He's one tough little dude (and top model too  :thumbsup) and despite any possible set-back he'll be right.

Tiger tough that young fella
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2008, 12:53:13 PM »
What an inspiration  :thumbsup

Bravest little battler Tyler set for first day at school
Sunday Herald Sun | Shannon Deery | January 27, 2008

HIS smile says it all. Tyler Fishlock can't wait for his next challenge -- starting school.

Tyler touched the hearts of Victorians when his battle against a rare eye cancer was revealed. It cost him the sight of both eyes. Now, with almost 45,000 other five-year-olds, the little dynamo is set for his prep year at a mainstream school.

No back-to-school blues for Tyler -- simply unbridled joy.

As the youngster packed and unpacked his schoolbag, he beamed: "I'm a big boy now."

He said he could not wait to sample the canteen's gingerbread men, meet new friends and play with cars and trucks -- a favourite pastime.

But Tyler's not setting off with just a backpack and lunch -- he needs a full-time personal aide, different teaching methods and textbooks and work sheets translated into braille.

The mother of the brave boy, who had both eyes removed during his battle with retinoblastoma, said she was praying he would be all right. And Georgette Fishlock told of the difficulty of deciding to send Tyler to a mainstream school.

"We want him to be able to live as normal a life as possible. I hope this is the first step towards doing that," she said.

"But I'm very apprehensive. I am excited, but for (father) Brad and I, the nerves are about whether we're doing the right thing sending him to a mainstream school. "The biggest concern is will he be accepted by the school and students and whether or not he will accept them."

Mrs Fishlock admitted waving goodbye at the school gates would be the hardest part.

"I don't think I'll get a wave back and that will be hard," she said. "I've prepared him and explained I won't be there all day."

Tyler could not understand what the fuss was about.

"Mum, I'll miss you, but I'll see you after school," he said.

It's that optimism that reassured Mrs Fishlock about her decision. "He is my inspiration and he will inspire me to get through the first day," she said. "He has such a positive outlook on life. His disability doesn't even bother him."

Tyler has been going to school with guide dogs, familiarising himself with the school's surrounds and doing homework on his braille computer.

Mrs Fishlock once feared the day would not come.

"This is a huge milestone for Tyler and I couldn't be more proud of him,"she said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23113898-661,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2008, 02:56:33 AM »
Great to hear Tyler enjoyed his first day at school.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23140913-2862,00.html

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2008, 08:01:37 AM »
Here's a post on Y&B from Tyler about his first day.

http://www.yellowandblack.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=140158&postcount=33
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2008, 03:21:52 PM »

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2008, 09:14:58 PM »
Doesn't this kind of thing make you think about the 'real' seriousness of your own problems!

While reading this I remembered how the club (in Tyler's case) went to great lengths to do what it could to help out and I believe with every bone in my body that they did so out of a genuine desire to help, with no ulterior (marketing) motive.  Without trying to hijack Tyler's thread, I think it says something about the players from all clubs who put in personal time and effort outside their club for no kudos or financial return.  It also got me thinking about another episode from within the club a few years ago that I had a personal interest in.  Please indulge me if it sounds a bit dated - I posted the story to another forum a few years ago and copy/paste saves me re-typing on a Friday night!

A couple of years ago (pre 1998) Wayne Campbell was told of a young bloke (2 years old) from a Tiger family, doing life pretty tough. Although no formal approach or request was made by anyone connected with the family, he took it on his own shoulders to visit the family and lift the spirits of all concerned. This initial visit consisted of a chat with Mum, Dad and the boys, as well as a kick in the backyard with the kids. Needless to say, the visit had a huge impact on all the family and was a constant talking point for months, however the story doesn't end there. Over the next couple of years, he became a regular visitor (the family don't live in Melbourne), both to their house, and the Royal Childrens Hospital, where the young bloke was spending a fair bit of time. During his time in hospital, he was also visited by at least Duncan Kellaway and Mark Merenda (there may have been more) at Campbell's request. As 1998 was drawing to a close and things weren't looking too good, he then organised for the family to come down and watch the last game of '98 (vs Melb) and go into the rooms prior to the game. He then took the young bloke in his arms and carried him through the banner at the start of the game. After going through the banner, he was allowed to stand with his Dad and watch all the warm-ups before leaving the arena. Unbeknowns to the family, he had also organised a professional video to be made of the whole day, and this was presented to Mum and Dad soon after. Sadly a few weeks later, the little fella lost his battle, and one of the four pallbearers at the funeral was W. Campbell. This all occurred right in the middle of his problems and walkout with the club. He still maintains contact with the family to this day, and it all started because he heard of a young Tiger doing it tough.

I never fail to be impressed by players who are humble enough to help out just for the sake of it, and even more so, I never fail to be amazed by the courage and spirit shown by children who get dealt a rough hand.  These kids are the true heroes.