Author Topic: Angel of mercy (Shepparton News)  (Read 203 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Angel of mercy (Shepparton News)
« on: April 08, 2017, 02:00:12 PM »
Angel of mercy

Hayden Thomson
Shepparton News
8 April 2017

When Violet Town’s Steven Jeffery was diagnosed with leukaemia last year his family was put under huge pressure until a stranger stepped in to help.

Today, Mr Jeffery’s spirits will be lifted even higher when his young son Parker runs on to the hallowed MCG turf with the mighty Tigers — all thanks to an angel of mercy from Euroa.

Mr Jeffery had been undergoing a strict regime of chemotherapy in Melbourne since he was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia.

Family visits were restricted to every second weekend, which was difficult for his wife Bree and children Parker, 6, and Elliette, 7.

‘‘We had to find alternative accommodation for Steven’s treatment down in Melbourne,’’ Mrs Jeffery said.

‘‘So we did, and posted on the local community noticeboard in Euroa asking for cheap whitegoods to use down there — while living in Melbourne for Steven’s treatment.

‘‘A lovely lady saw our post, discovered our story and has done some of the most amazing things since.’’

Euroa’s Lorraine Lease arranged a Pandora necklace for daughter Elliette, a weekend away for Mrs Jeffery’s parents and a day with the Richmond Football Club for son Parker.

‘‘Parker absolutely loves the Tigers and has since he was about three and began to recognise football,’’ Mrs Jeffery said.

‘‘Lorraine has made it her mission to do these amazing things and it’s unbelievable.’’

Not one for publicity, Mrs Lease said the nickname of fairy godmother bestowed on her ‘‘did not sit well’’.

‘‘I was close friends with the lovely Tom Hafy and his saying was a life spent giving is a life worth living,’’ Mrs Lease said.

‘‘With my contacts in the sporting and arts world I thought it was only just that I spent my life working with families who need help.’’

The family visited the club at Punt Rd Oval last week to catch a closed training session before the Round 2 match against Collingwood.

‘‘It was absolutely fantastic, the club has really been quite amazing with regards to how they’ve treated us,’’ Mrs Jeffery said.

‘‘Parker ran water for the boys, Elliette controlled the scoreboard from the coach’s phone and all the players signed their guernseys and chatted with us and the kids.’’

Today young Parker will join the team as it runs out on the MCG turf for its clash against the West Coast Eagles.

‘‘He’s absolutely ecstatic and cannot wait,’’ Mrs Jeffery said.

Mr Jeffery will undergo a bone marrow (stem cell) transplant in May, which the family hopes will work towards curing him.

The transplant requires a strict isolation period post-operation and the photos of Parker and his family at Punt Rd will go into Mr Jeffery’s isolation unit providing life-long memories for all involved.

People wishing to help the family can write a cheque to ‘The Steven Jeffery Donation Fund’ and send it to Ruralco Property in Euroa.

A GoFundMe page has also been started which can be found at: gofundme.com/help-steven-jeffery-beat-leukaemia

http://www.sheppnews.com.au/2017/04/08/83126/angelofmercy