Author Topic: Hardwick v.2017 is a trendsetter in the coaches box: Robbo (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2013 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
From Robbo's likes & dislikes column (Monday):

Damien Hardwick continues to be a trendsetter in the coaches box.

First was his intent to keep a forward deep, preferably Martin or Trent Cotchin, or as deep as possible.

Second was to run Shaun Grigg as the forward 50m ruck in response to the ruck rule change.

Third was to institute a tagger in the age of 18-man defence. After Sam Mitchell spanked the Tigers with 12 first-quarter disposals, Hardwick went back to the future. Kane Lambert was sent to Mitchell and kept him to seven touches in the next two quarters. It was a game-changer.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/mark-robinson/the-tackle-fremantle-marc-murphy-hawthorn-and-arrogant-saints-among-mark-robinsons-likes-and-dislikes/news-story/8ded1e0ccf384400f3c26154a84753c5

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Going back to what gave people a little faith in 2012/early 2013 :clapping

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
There's nothing in Hardwicks coaching history that suggests that he has come up with anything novel.

I've got a feeling he's finally got a decent assistant and he's been told to listen.

Or ........

maybe he realised, as George Constanza once did, that every idea he's ever had was wrong and somewhere between the end of last season and the beginning of this one he decided to do the opposite of whatever his "blueprint to success" impulse tells him to do.   :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Hardwick would have to go 10-0 this season before getting any semblance of credit on this forum .
Unleash the tornado

tony_montana

yep he will.

Last year, Brad Scott, when talking about hardwick said in his opinion Hardwick was a very effective coach in that he was able to change our whole footy philosophy and get complete buy in from the players (ie went from attacking to defensive short possession game). He said whether that gameplan was right is irrelevant, just the fact he was able to totally change the game style shows how good a coach he is..

Watching us play now, I can see where he was coming from with those comments.. BUT...

I still reckon he was/is a goose bc he changed it unnecessarily imo and then was too damn stubborn to change it back when it was clear as daylight to everyone bar him that we were on the road to nowhereville playing that style. I feel we wasted 3 good years of football so yeah he will need to go 10 zip and deep into this years finals to wipe the slate clean with some supporters

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Blake Caracella

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
What a talented football brain dimmer is.

He's won against a three amazing teams thus far
Caracella and Balmey.

Ruanaidh

Blake Caracella
Hammer meet nail.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Hardwick would have to go 10-0 this season before getting any semblance of credit on this forum .

A few losses in a row and you'll be off him again....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
yep he will.

Last year, Brad Scott, when talking about hardwick said in his opinion Hardwick was a very effective coach in that he was able to change our whole footy philosophy and get complete buy in from the players (ie went from attacking to defensive short possession game). He said whether that gameplan was right is irrelevant, just the fact he was able to totally change the game style shows how good a coach he is..

Watching us play now, I can see where he was coming from with those comments.. BUT...

I still reckon he was/is a goose bc he changed it unnecessarily imo and then was too damn stubborn to change it back when it was clear as daylight to everyone bar him that we were on the road to nowhereville playing that style. I feel we wasted 3 good years of football so yeah he will need to go 10 zip and deep into this years finals to wipe the slate clean with some supporters

exactly this. putting jack on the outside because he spoke against his plan. his weird vendetta against shane tuck and his poo treatment of anthony miles tarnishes his ability to get the team to "buy in" in my eyes. willing to overlook these sins if he takes us to a GF or better yet a premiership but to be honest winning "a final" doesn't cut it for me considering he has been at the helm for an insane length of time

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Hardwick v.2017 is a trendsetter in the coaches box: Robbo (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 01:28:20 PM »
stuff off Blobbo. No room for you on our bandwagon

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 01:29:59 PM »

We could go undefeated all year and win the premiership and there would still be little chickens squawking.

In fact the sack hardwick thread has been too quiet, i will give it a bump

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 05:49:55 PM »

We could go undefeated all year and win the premiership and there would still be little chickens squawking.

Let me drop some knowledge on you Chuck .

Richmond win = no credit what so ever to Damien Hardwick.
Richmond lose = its all Damiens fault.

Hope that clears everything up for you .
Unleash the tornado

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 07:42:48 PM »
Apparently Robbo thought that goal of Rioli's in the 3rd qtr might have been seen as a little sensual to some in the crowd...
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 08:09:38 PM »

Let me drop some knowledge on you Chuck .

Richmond win = no credit what so ever to Damien Hardwick.
Richmond lose = its all Damiens fault.

Hope that clears everything up for you .

Thanks Mat