Author Topic: You are what you eat  (Read 5125 times)

Ruanaidh

You are what you eat
« on: May 10, 2017, 08:28:12 PM »
Just a diversion from more heavier postings on the forum. It also may help those with ailments and general malaise.

I have been on a Keto and intermittent fasting(18 hrs per day) regime for 6 months now and the results have been impressive:

Low blood sugar
Higher testosterone
Low PSA
Higher Hdl and LDL cholesterol levels (doesn't worry me a bit). 30 eggs a week will have that effect.
Very low triglyceride levels (which is more indicative of cardiovascular health apparently).
Etc etc

I would recommend to anyone wanting to lose 'girth' (including visceral fat) to look into this system of eating. I have reached my weight and BMI target without ever really going hungry (fats via Keto are more satiating than sugar and carbs). My 6 hour eating window is 11am to 5pm. By working out each morning at 10am I also maximise elevated HGH levels caused by the fasting so I have no trouble holding and improving muscle mass. In all I dropped 10kgs almost exclusively from the gut region by foregoing carbs and sugars and moving into ketosis thereby using fats for energy.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Online Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
Re: You are what you eat
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 10:15:19 PM »
Well done mate, can I ask a couple of personal questions?
Feel free not to answer them if you don't want to.
Roughly what was your start weight?
How many weeks have you been on the diet to lose 10kg
And roughly what is you're age? (20's, 30's, 40's)

I briefly did the same thing a few months ago, I made it 10 days and was actually starting to feel fantastic before a pretty serious accident derailed  it and I went back to my old habits  ::)
I had managed to lose 4kg in those 10 days and pretty much compleatly lost any craving for sugar (I have an energy drink addiction and drink 4-6 cans a day) this was the longest I had gone without  without a energy drink in years and really felt I was right on top of it until the accident.
I'm really looking forward to getting back into it in the coming weeks as soon as I'm right to start exercise again.
I do think a large part of it is mental and if you can get through the first few weeks it's certainly a lifestyle change that you can permently stick to for the long run.

Ruanaidh

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 04:48:48 AM »
Ask anything you want Loui :thumbsup. I was already on the 5:2 diet on and off for a while before trying this regime. I lost 10kgs in the first 8 weeks and have maintained my current weight by eating heaps in my 'eating window'.  I am in my 50's, 6" 2" and weigh 84 KG's. I work-out  everyday on a cable machine alternating I day bodybuilding, the next abs/core. I also do a mini abs/core workout everyday before work , as in right now.

Sorry to hear about your accident mate. I too stumbled when going on strict keto for the first time as I didn't allow for any carbs at all - too extreme and my fault. Now my diet would best be described as No Sugar (or alternatives), low (quality, wholefood) carb and what I believe is the key: 18 hr fasting. As you probably experienced it is amazing to see your gut shrink whilst eating the fats  that we have been told for years not to eat.

Great to see you are weaning off that energy drink poison :thumbsup. Fats provide true homeostatic geared energy that is revelatory when you experience it.

And for the uninitiated the fat on your midriff is caused by sugsr/carbs, not fats. It is hard to comprehend,  but true.

Late edit: The essence of my routine can be found in the 'warrior diet' which I had never heard of until a mate said I was on it. It is close to what I do but with minor refinements (Keto oriented).

I break the fast with high fat nuts and the only fruit (and sugar) I have for the day: 1 apple and 1 banana. I substitute out one or the other for fruits in season. Lunch at 1130 then dinner at 1700 - No snacking in between but black, unsweetened coffee/tea is ok. I was eyeing the 1 meal per day regime but I reckon I would lose too much weight and couldn't cope with the amount of food I would have to consume in one hit.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:32:11 AM by Ruanaidh »

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 08:31:18 AM »
So when you are not fasting, what does your diet generally consist of?

Ruanaidh

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 08:43:35 AM »
So when you are not fasting, what does your diet generally consist of?
The Keto diet is generally 70 percent Fats, 20 protein and 10 carbs. I found that 60/20/20 is ideal for me. The 20 carb is in organic, wholemeal, whole grain sourdough, salad and veges (no starches). The 20 protein is any meat that tickles your fancy but high fat organic mince and organic chicken are my major sources and of course eggs. The Fat comes from eggs, cheese, cream/milk,mountains of butter, nuts, bacon/meat, and 2 tbspoons of olive oil and coconut oil a day.

I also take I multi-vitamin per day.

In fast (after abs in the morning) I drink a large glass of tepid water containing a tbs of organic apple cider vinegar and the juice of half a lemon. I don't do it for enjoyment but it is tasting better now. It supercharges ketosis and has many other beneficial effects.

Every now and again I let go and eat what I want/when I want but I limit alcohol these days and Sugar is always off limits. These  'binges' are becoming less frequent as time goes on. You feel so good on the regime that any divergence feels like an illness.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:59:19 AM by Ruanaidh »

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 03:13:18 PM »
Do you ever feel things are a little too bland and "heavy" (not sure how else to explain it - just doesn't sit right) with this diet? I have done somewhat similar except it was more 80/10/10 with protein being the main source but effectively being the same theory i.e. ketosis. I had really good results with this about two years ago (15kg lost but can't remember how many weeks - roughly two months) but I slowly crept into bad habits especially when I've travelled as it was too hard to meal prep. My weight slowly crept up and now I'm sitting higher than I want (not as high as before) but I tried kick starting it again and after about a week my stomach could just not handle it.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 03:22:25 PM »
How tall and how much do U blokes weigh on average?
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 06:11:35 PM »

I'm 186cm and have been around 95kg for most of my late 20's and 30's. Middle tyre was there but not massive. A couple of years ago I started training with a former professional league player (Maori) who lives nearby - basically circuit weights and core strengthening. 1 hr 15 min sessions twice a week. Without fail. Even in my late 30's I've put on a shitload of muscle and dropped fat. My frame has seemingly opened up and stretched out and widened (shoulders, chest, hips) and I'm now 103kgs with a slight gut (hard to totally cut down) but you wouldn't notice. Generally eat normal and but extra protein if I have the option.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Ruanaidh

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 07:55:07 PM »
Do you ever feel things are a little too bland and "heavy" (not sure how else to explain it - just doesn't sit right) with this diet? I have done somewhat similar except it was more 80/10/10 with protein being the main source but effectively being the same theory i.e. ketosis. I had really good results with this about two years ago (15kg lost but can't remember how many weeks - roughly two months) but I slowly crept into bad habits especially when I've travelled as it was too hard to meal prep. My weight slowly crept up and now I'm sitting higher than I want (not as high as before) but I tried kick starting it again and after about a week my stomach could just not handle it.
Sorry mate but what you explained is the opposite of Keto. By eating so much protein you would have promoted what is called 'Gluconeogenesis' whereby the liver converts the excess protein into glucose so that it can be reserved in fat cells. You are literally blowing yourself up and stalling Ketosis as the body will choose glucose over ketones everytime. Excess protein is very damaging to your body in so many ways. On your 'bland' query: keto is full of taste! All the butter, eggs, cheese you want (when coupled with fasting)....For the first time in 30 years I never crave for anything and every meal is very satisfying and filling.....Oh, and there is no sugar high or crash. That poison should be criminalised.

Look up Dr Eric Berg on youtube and follow his advice. Eric is the Keto Guru.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 09:06:50 PM by Ruanaidh »

Ruanaidh

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 08:07:09 PM »

I'm 186cm and have been around 95kg for most of my late 20's and 30's. Middle tyre was there but not massive. A couple of years ago I started training with a former professional league player (Maori) who lives nearby - basically circuit weights and core strengthening. 1 hr 15 min sessions twice a week. Without fail. Even in my late 30's I've put on a pooload of muscle and dropped fat. My frame has seemingly opened up and stretched out and widened (shoulders, chest, hips) and I'm now 103kgs with a slight gut (hard to totally cut down) but you wouldn't notice. Generally eat normal and but extra protein if I have the option.
What you have described are Mesomorth characteristics. Lucky bugger. Swap out the extra protein for natural fats and that 'slight gut' might disappear. Rbr, eating fat does not make you fat. Carbs create white (external visceral) fat whilst Sugars (including fructose) form brown (internal visceral) fat - the deadly, organ destroying kind. This is why you have to limit fruit consumption.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:34:32 PM by Ruanaidh »

Ruanaidh

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 08:08:49 PM »
C'mon Ox fess up...Give us your 'vitals'.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 12:47:16 AM »
Sorry mate but what you explained is the opposite of Keto. By eating so much protein you would have promoted what is called 'Gluconeogenesis' whereby the liver converts the excess protein into glucose so that it can be reserved in fat cells. You are literally blowing yourself up and stalling Ketosis

Tell that to all the excess fat I dropped (not just weight).

Ruanaidh

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 05:57:14 AM »
Sorry mate but what you explained is the opposite of Keto. By eating so much protein you would have promoted what is called 'Gluconeogenesis' whereby the liver converts the excess protein into glucose so that it can be reserved in fat cells. You are literally blowing yourself up and stalling Ketosis

Tell that to all the excess fat I dropped (not just weight).
You must have have gone into continuing caloric deficit, which as you have witnessed is not sustainable in the long run. This would have stimulated periodic Ketosis but also brought on  nutrient starvation. You have to have your Macronutrients in balance and consume sufficient Micronutrients in order to maintain overall health and remove misaligned cravings. Keto does this and allows you to eat sufficient calories whilst eliminating carb/sugar induced fat stores. When combined with routine fasting the whole process is supercharged..... But hey, give it a go and give some feedback and remember don't hold back on the butter - it is a superfood.

Late edit: 'Kerrygold' ,arguably the best butter in the world, will be available in Woolies by the end of May. Til then eat their homebrand, word is it is NZ grass fed. 8)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 08:35:48 AM by Ruanaidh »

Ruanaidh

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 06:32:36 AM »
For anyone wanting to try this regime I would recommend that they first have a comprehensive blood test done in order to be able to note a base line and compare post Keto improvements later on. Start with Keto, then incorporate the daily fast later on down the track. You can start with a 12 hour abstinence and gradually increase the window to suit your needs.

Caveat Emptor: Prior to starting Keto you need to determine (after research) the importance you give to 'elevated' Cholesterol levels in the blood. They will rise under Keto. Personally, I think the whole Cholesterol scare is a myth. I'm running at 7.5 and don't give a poo. The figure that matters to me is the HDL/Triglyceride ratio - a key indicator of cardiovascular health. Mine is .048 mmol/l, which is spectacular for any age. I give credit to the eating regime for this figure as it improved dramatically from my last blood test 6 years ago when it should have worsened due to ageing.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 07:21:04 AM by Ruanaidh »

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 07:19:42 AM »

I'm 186cm and have been around 95kg for most of my late 20's and 30's. Middle tyre was there but not massive. A couple of years ago I started training with a former professional league player (Maori) who lives nearby - basically circuit weights and core strengthening. 1 hr 15 min sessions twice a week. Without fail. Even in my late 30's I've put on a pooload of muscle and dropped fat. My frame has seemingly opened up and stretched out and widened (shoulders, chest, hips) and I'm now 103kgs with a slight gut (hard to totally cut down) but you wouldn't notice. Generally eat normal and but extra protein if I have the option.
What you have described are Mesomorth characteristics. Lucky bugger. Swap out the extra protein for natural fats and that 'slight gut' might disappear. Rbr, eating fat does not make you fat. Carbs create white (external visceral) fat whilst Sugars (including fructose) form brown (internal visceral) fat - the deadly, organ destroying kind. This is why you have to limit fruit consumption.

Would make sense why i cant stand fruit! I mean, ill eat the occasional apple or banana but im more of a veggies or salad guy. If anything though, carbs are my weakness especially in my italian family - pasta, pizza, rice, etc etc etc
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018