Author Topic: Freo loss a steep learning curve - Jack Riewoldt on AFL360  (Read 1774 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL, Richmond, Fremantle, Jack Riewoldt, AFL 360

May 17, 2017
Sarah Olle
FOX SPORTS

RICHMOND forward Jack Riewoldt says Sunday’s after the siren loss to Fremantle has been a “steep learning curve” for the club.

And while he conceded the players could have structured the final and fatal centre bounce differently, the first three quarters of the match had ultimately cost the Tigers the game.

“We certainly looked at this and thought we need to be better,” Riewoldt said on Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“We needed to have someone come off the back of the square because that stunts Lachie Neale, the ball might go a bit higher. Other than that we weren’t set up too bad.

“We had a pretty honest discussion today. It’s a very steep learning curve.

“But there’s no point wasting a whole hour of the review on 21 seconds when we served up what we served up in the first three quarters.”

Richmond piled on five unanswered final term goals, two which came from the boot of Riewoldt, to hit the front with only 21 seconds remaining against Fremantle at the MCG.

Behind the goals vision revealed a loose Daniel Rioli on the wing, a move which has since been criticised by footy analysts.

Riewoldt said the club’s structure at that final centre bounce was ultimately the responsibility of the on-field leaders.

“It comes down to every player, but the on field leaders have more of a responsibility for that,” Riewoldt said.

“I was setting up the forwards where I thought they should be, Alex (Rance) had set up and Trent (Cotchin) had set up.

“The ball bounces up in the air, (Shaun) Grigg misses it — just. It bobbles out to (Lachie) Neale. Sometimes it just happens.

“What I will continue to harp on about is that there is no point focusing on the last 21 seconds if you are not going to get the first three quarters right.

“And we didn't get the first three quarters right. We were outplayed.”

Four-time premiership player Jordan Lewis said he could understand how the unthinkable had transpired for Richmond on Sunday.

But he also conceded every team would have a game plan to ensure that outcome didn’t eventuate.

“The funny thing is when you do go in front with 21 seconds to go you try to get as many guys behind the ball as you possibly can,” Lewis said.

“What that may do is relax some of the defenders who are already on forwards because you’ve got to go out there covering space. So you might be thinking, ‘I don’t have to go as tight, someone else will come and cover me’ because they’ve got extras there.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/jack-riewoldt-says-richmonds-loss-to-fremantle-was-a-steep-learning-curve-for-the-club/news-story/0d1651a476726e9ccec23e294d98a007

Ruanaidh

Re: Freo loss a steep learning curve - Jack Riewoldt on AFL360
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 02:04:13 PM »
This statement is a further indictment on the Coaches and On-field leaders. Ffs it's not as if it hasn't happened before! Freo structured up (obviously practised) to fit the scenario. We were rank amateurs for the last of many examples under Dimwit. He has to go.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 02:12:09 PM »
Pretty sure the 'steep learning curve' line got trotted out after the Gold Coast loss. And a couple of the Elim finals losses.

If they keep claiming to learn so much, why do we keep failing when the same circumstances keep happening?
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 02:26:13 PM »
Slobbo's a rude prick....Jack was trying to say the first three quarters were to blame for the loss and Gerard said "especially that third quarter" but Slobbo shouted them  down and said "No I wanna discuss that last 21 seconds first and then we'll get to that ..." so they discussed it for about 5 minutes and then Gerard said and what about that third quarter and Slobbo just shouted him down again and waved his varms dismissively saying "Nah we're outta a time..."...Jack looked like he wanted to deck the fat slob...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:36:54 PM by one-eyed »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 07:41:54 PM »
Blobbo is the most overpaid football person in the entire industry...
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 08:21:07 PM »
Have had a hard time bringing myself to get onto this site after being there last weekend, thinking I could get an early train home only to have some hope before it was extinguished.

Why on early doesn't the centreline flood the backline, and the forward line all move to the defensive side of the centre square to rush in and cause a stoppage?

I would seriously only have ONE player goal-side, and that would be Rioli or Butler for a quick break if we win the clearance.

Every single other player should be in the D50 or between it and the centre square.

How stuffing hard is it? Did they think Nank was going to win the tap?

tony_montana

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 09:36:37 PM »
STFU

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 09:51:53 PM »
If the senior players under Hardwick still have to learn hard lessons after 8 years that to most of the football public would be glaringly obvious then we are going to have a long hard haul for the rest of the season.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 10:10:01 PM »
It's just spin, they didn't learn poo. They train for late game scenarios all the time and they stuffed it up yet again.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 11:36:28 AM »
Bump.

Steep learning curve?
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 12:49:25 PM »
Too steep for us…. :rollin
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Ruanaidh

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 12:52:33 PM »
This poo...you just couldn't make up :lol

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 01:20:11 PM »
Stfu, Jack.

You can't miss those shots AND be a leader.

That's the example.

See how it works.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 02:10:59 PM »
Dont EVER trust what the club says.

They dont know what they are doing.
"Sliding doors moment.