Author Topic: AFL considering Wildcard system for finals  (Read 1278 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL considering Wildcard system for finals
« on: May 19, 2017, 02:18:10 AM »
'Wildcard Weekend' for 2018? Clubs like the idea

afl.com.au
19 May 2017

THERE is growing support for a wildcard weekend among club CEOs, with League chief Gillon McLachlan suggesting a playoff round could be introduced for the 2018 season.

The AFL is working on a number of different fixture models, including 17-5 and 18-4 formats, with McLachlan briefing club bosses in "animated" discussions on Thursday.

While a substantial fixture reform is unlikely to be made until the 2019 season, the introduction of a wildcard round, where potentially four clubs would play off for two finals spots, is possible next year.

"There was more interest in a wildcard round leading into finals than I thought there would be," McLachlan said.

"That had, I wouldn't say universal, but a significant level of support. That was the thing that was probably most surprising."

It was suggested at Thursday's talks that a wildcard round would fit in the weekend currently reserved for the pre-finals bye.

McLachlan said an example of a wildcard round – under a split-fixture model – would have the team that finishes seventh playing the team that finishes 13th for one spot, and eighth playing ninth for another.

The bottom six teams would be battling each other in the final rounds to finish 13th to earn the right for that playoff spot, keeping interest alive in late season matches that have become a concern for the AFL.

Read more at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-18/wildcard-weekend-for-2018-clubs-like-the-idea

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: AFL considering Wildcard system for finals
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:30:03 AM »
What a load of bollocks.

...amd I bet the first year it comes in we'll finish 11th....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 10:43:30 AM »

You can picture it already. 10th or 11th for us or we finish 7th and lose to the 13th spot.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

tony_montana

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 11:57:06 AM »
just cut the season down to 17 games plus finals and be done with it - joke of a competition

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 05:50:10 PM »

You can picture it already. 10th or 11th for us or we finish 7th and lose to the 13th spot.

Which would be goddam Norf

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 06:33:20 AM »

Which would be goddam Norf
Took the words out of my mouth..  :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S