Author Topic: Richmond AFLW team [merged]  (Read 191374 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond AFLW team 2020 [merged]
« Reply #375 on: September 06, 2020, 09:24:31 PM »
So all those warriors on social media who criticized us for dropping VFLW program now owe us an apology seeing as the more important VFL is getting the chop..
Not holding my breath...

I don't  think you are having a go at me

I am very critical of the Club axing its VFLW side, think it is wrong

But have never said the men's VFL side should go.

Both programs are extremely important and both should remain

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #376 on: September 06, 2020, 09:33:51 PM »
So all those warriors on social media who criticized us for dropping VFLW program now owe us an apology seeing as the more important VFL is getting the chop..
Not holding my breath...

I don't  think you are having a go at me

I am very critical of the Club axing its VFLW side, think it is wrong

But have never said the men's VFL side should go.

Both programs are extremely important and both should remain

Nah not having a go at you...
I agree both should stay

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #377 on: September 06, 2020, 09:52:40 PM »
People also speculated that on BF and poster Kiwi Tiger who's heavily involved with the club (IRL not just internet bullshyte) also said we won't be fielding a stand alone men's  side.... :shh

Yep- disappointing as it does in fact look highly likely we will not.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #378 on: September 07, 2020, 03:04:12 AM »
No surprise both state league sides could be dumped given both have non-AFL/AFLW Richmond listed players moving in and out of the respective squads. If the AFL maintains covid bubbles even upon return to Victoria in 2021 then VFL/VFLW sides will prove too problematic even ignoring the additional financial costs.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #379 on: September 07, 2020, 06:38:51 AM »
No surprise both state league sides could be dumped given both have non-AFL/AFLW Richmond listed players moving in and out of the respective squads. If the AFL maintains covid bubbles even upon return to Victoria in 2021 then VFL/VFLW sides will prove too problematic even ignoring the additional financial costs.

True, but what happens to access players each week? They have to play somewhere and it needs to be in the new look VFL comp. (Talking the guys here)

They have 3 options, field our own VFL side, align with one VFL club or spread our players across multiple VFL teams. Either option present problems around COVID.

Interesting times ahead which at the moment are complicated further with the AFL yet to determine list sizes for 2021

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #380 on: September 25, 2020, 10:35:01 PM »
NAB AFLW Draft Prospects & Profiles

We take a look at the top group of prospects for this year's NAB AFLW Draft.

https://womens.afl/about/draft/prospects

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #381 on: September 27, 2020, 05:41:41 PM »
No.1 contender on Tiger links, Hawk idol and sports-mad family

Sarah Black
womens.afl
Sep 27. 2020

Ellie McKenzie in action for the Knights. Picture: AFL Photos

WHEN she was 14, potential number one pick Ellie McKenzie toured Richmond's headquarters as part of a talent search day.

Come November, the classy, line-breaking midfielder with a pin-point kick could well find her way back to Punt Road for the start of pre-season via the NAB AFLW Draft on October 6.

"I got linked there somehow through (Tigers' head of women's footy) Kate Sheahan and some people at Richmond, they'd seen me play or something. There were about 20 of us invited," McKenzie told womens.afl.

"We got a tour of the facilities and it was amazing to be in that elite environment and get a sense of what it would be like to play at an AFLW club.

"Little did I know that maybe I'd be at a similar club in four or five years."

The McKenzies are a "sports-mad" family, with 20-year-old older brother Tom having spent a year on North Melbourne's rookie list in 2019. He has also been a handy ally during the COVID-19 lockdown in Melbourne.

"He was at the Roos for a year and was unlucky, he was delisted after a season-long back injury. He learnt a lot there, and it was good for me to be able to watch him go about pre-season and see what's required to play at that elite level," McKenzie said.

"I'm really fortunate to have him, and he's really supported me through this draft process as well.

"It's been difficult when you're by yourself and you need self-motivation to keep your training up. During the first lockdown,

my brother and I bought a few weights and made a set-up out in the backyard."

Listening to McKenzie - an All Australian at last year's NAB AFLW under-18 championships - it's clear she's a student of football, as well as sport in general.

Her favourite players are often aligned to specific traits she admires and works to emulate, while she's just finished watching the Netflix documentary "The Playbook", focusing on championship-winning coaches from around the world.

"Growing up, my idol was always Isaac Smith, with his running ability on the wing and his long left-foot kick. When I was a kid, I was playing a lot on the wing, so I looked up to him a lot," she said.

"These days, I try and simulate what Katie Brennan does as a forward, I aspire to achieve her marking ability, she's got a great kick as well.

"In the AFL, I think Steele Sidebottom is amazing; his ability to kick on both feet is really special and you don't see that often in AFL or AFLW."

Having also played cricket and athletics growing up, McKenzie played her footy with Fitzroy junior football club before her selection at NAB League club Northern Knights.

The colour of their team polo aside, the Knights have been in a purple patch over the past few years, finishing runners-up in 2018 and winning the flag in 2019, with five girls – including number one selection Gabby Newton – drafted in that same year.

The year 12 student at Maribyrnong College has had her fair share of Zoom calls with interested AFLW clubs over the past few weeks and is trying to reframe her thinking around a potential pick one selection.

"There's a lot of pressure surrounding it. For me, the most important thing is to try to stay present and enjoy this moment and the next few weeks," McKenzie said.

"I'm just really fortunate that I can back myself and don't have to worry about not being drafted.

"I've spoken to Gabby a little bit, she's been great and has a lot of knowledge in the area. I've been trying to use her and a few other girls from the Knights.

"Vic Metro have been great as well, talking me through the process and calming me a little when I'm a bit stressed."

https://womens.afl/news/52101/no-1-contender-on-tiger-links-hawk-idol-and-sports-mad-family

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #382 on: October 05, 2020, 03:47:37 PM »
Explosive teen McKenzie tipped for Tigers selection

Daniel Cherny
The Age
October 5, 2020 — 3.28pm

Rival clubs expect Richmond to select explosive teenager Ellie McKenzie with the first pick in Tuesday night's AFLW draft.

Having gone winless in their inaugural season in the national women's competition, the Tigers will bolster their list with one of Victoria's top female talents.

Northern Knights midfielder/forward McKenzie, who turns 18 next month, is the hot tip to go at pick No. 1, according to opposition clubs broached on the subject on Monday.

The 176-centimetre left-footer is prolific at stoppages and would provide a line-breaking option to a Richmond midfield in desperate need of bolstering.

She is also the younger brother of former North Melbourne rookie Tom McKenzie.

"She's going to be a 10-year player wherever she ends up," said Marcus Abney-Hastings, who coached McKenzie in the NAB League.

"Her skill set and the way she plays, it's absolutely exceptional to be honest. In the three [Knights] games we had we played her forward and she just doesn't get beaten one-on-one."

Draft predictions:

1. Richmond: Ellie McKenzie (Northern Knights, 176cm midfielder/forward)
2. W.Bulldogs: Alyssa Bannan (Northern Knights, 178cm, forward)
3. West Coast: Sarah Verrier (Peel Thunder, 168cm defender)
4. Adelaide: Teah Charlton (South Adelaide, 169cm midfielder/forward)
5. Melbourne: Tyanna Smith (Dandenong Stingrays, 167cm midfielder)
6. St Kilda: Jessica Fitzgerald (Northern Knights, 163cm midfielder)
7. Gold Coast: Annise Bradfield (Southport, 170cm utility)
8. Brisbane: Zimmorlei Farquharson (Calamvale/Yeronga, 172 cm forward)
9. GWS Gaints: Tarni Evans (Queanbeyan, 180cm utility)
10. Geelong: Stephanie Williams (Darwin Buffaloes, Geelong Falcons, 162cm forward)

Ellie McKenzie flies for mark playing for the Northern Knights. CREDIT: GETTY

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/explosive-teen-mckenzie-tipped-for-tigers-selection-20201005-p561zz.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #383 on: October 06, 2020, 07:01:28 PM »
All set for tonight's @aflwomens#AFLWDraft selections.

https://twitter.com/RichmondWomens/status/1313382068328390656

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #384 on: October 06, 2020, 07:18:21 PM »
1. Richmond - Ellie McKenzie

Welcome Ellie to Punt Rd  :).

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #385 on: October 06, 2020, 07:19:05 PM »

Ellie McKenzie has been selected by Richmond with pick one in the 2020 NAB AFL Women’s Draft.

The 17-year-old joins Richmond on the back of standout performances playing for the Northern Knights across a number of years, as well as for Victoria Metro in the 2019 NAB AFLW Under-18 National Championships.

At 176cm, McKenzie is a powerful athlete that can play as a forward or midfielder. She has explosive speed, is an excellent stoppage player, and has a long penetrating left-foot kick.

McKenzie was a standout in the Knights’ 2019 NAB League Girls premiership team as a bottom-age player, playing alongside now Richmond teammate Sarah Sansonetti.

The exciting youngster had also made a prolific start to the 2020 campaign for the Knights, averaging 19 disposals, 4.7 inside 50s and five marks before the season was shut down due to COVID-19.

Richmond Head of Women’s Football, Kate Sheahan said McKenzie’s ball use, versatility and aggression stood out most to the Tigers’ recruiting team.

“She is just a beautiful kick of the football and a fantastic user of the ball,” she said.

“Her versatility and ability to run through the midfield is pretty handy, and she’s quite aggressive, we really like that.

“She is the sort of player we are looking for - someone that is not afraid to get their hands dirty but then on transition can run really hard and damage the opposition.

“There have only been the three games this year and she played well in all of them, but she is someone that has been setting the junior footy world alight for a long time and lots of people are aware of Ellie and her skill.”

McKenzie was first introduced to Richmond back in 2017 when she attended a Come and Try Day at the Swinburne Centre as a talented 14-year-old from the Fitzroy Junior Football Club.

“I remember the look in her eye that day and the way she observed everything and really took in her surroundings and the environment,” Sheahan said.

“She is a really nice kid who wants to work hard, wants to be the best; is a competitive beast which we love, and is someone that wants to be at our football club.

“You want to know people want to come to your club and we think she will fit in really well here with the players we already have and their collective attitude towards improvement, hard work and just getting better.

“We are pumped and just can’t wait to start working with her.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/822961/

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #386 on: October 06, 2020, 07:27:21 PM »
Conti will enjoy having another midfielder in the team that is a gun.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #387 on: October 06, 2020, 08:00:06 PM »
Conti will enjoy having another midfielder in the team that is a gun.

Certainly will  :clapping

Now if we just had a coach  :huh3

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #388 on: October 06, 2020, 08:13:58 PM »
With pick No.43, we have selected Australian basketballer, Tessa Lavey. #AFLDraft

https://twitter.com/RichmondWomens/status/1313406613097603072

Welcome Tessa to Tigerland  :).

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #389 on: October 06, 2020, 08:24:02 PM »
Pick 52: Luka Lesosky-Hay - @RichmondWomens

https://twitter.com/aflwomens

Welcome Luka to Punt Rd  :).