Author Topic: Is Alex Rance the best full-back of all-time? ... (Herald-Sun)  (Read 5702 times)

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Is Alex Rance the best full-back of all-time? ... (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2017, 08:09:02 AM »
Ch 7 news tonight said Rance was on Daniher for 47% of the game last night and during that time Daniher was goal-less and only had 3 touches.

Not to mention 2 holding the ball and outmarked him but wasn't paid...

Gotta say man in front, technically was rances. But there's no way that's a mark, without Daniher there to hold the ball in position for rance he wouldn't have gotten his hands firmly on it, good call by the ump.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2017, 12:20:47 PM »
Comment from the HERALD-esSendUN:

Robert
1 hour ago

How could Rance get votes, not once did he take Daniher, at one point he was on fantasia. If he actually was as great as he's made out to be and took the best forward each week, Richmond may be a better side. When the best opposition forward averages 3 goals a week against them, he clearly isn't doing his job
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2017, 01:19:31 PM »
Obviously doesn't watch Rance play. Sure we may leak an extra 1-2 goals by playing Astbury on the best forward but what Rance does is save an extra 5 by playing on spuds and keeping them quiet as well as saving his teammates asses time and again.

Wonder what he thought of Hurleys game? Their best defender but he didn't seem to take Jack very often :shh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2017, 05:26:28 PM »
Rance goes from beer to champagne
richmondfc.com.au
1 June 2017

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick agrees with the growing sentiment echoing throughout the football world that star Tiger backman Alex Rance now ranks as one of the game’s all-time great key defenders.

“He’s certainly up there,” Hardwick said.

“In my time (in AFL football), I wouldn’t have seen many better one-on-one defenders. And then he has the ability to use the ball and start counter-attacks.

“He’s a three-time All-Australian and still only 27.

“He’s playing some really good footy and his best footy’s probably still in front of him . . .

“We’re very lucky to have him, and in such good form as well.”

Hardwick admitted his opinion of Rance’s football talent had changed quite markedly over the years.

“I often joke to him, my first year (as coach) I was prepared to trade him for a six-pack of Coronas at one stage,” Hardwick said.

“But he’s been an incredible player for us.

“He’s worked really hard . . . Justin Leppitsch, who’s back now (at the Club), did a power of work with him with regards his balance and his footwork.

“He’s been a good player for us for a long period of time and hopefully that continues for a long period of time also.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-06-01/rance-goes-from-beer-to-champagne

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2017, 12:07:56 PM »
Rance is an absolute superstar.
Unleash the tornado

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2017, 12:57:54 PM »
Yes he is ...

tony_montana

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2017, 07:18:39 PM »
2-3 more years of this and he will be

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2017, 12:50:56 AM »
People all talk about Dusty winning the Brownlow but Rance is the star of this team now.

Caracella and Balmey.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2017, 07:44:50 PM »
People all talk about Dusty winning the Brownlow but Rance is the star of this team now.

:bow almost the best player i have seen. Ablett senior was unbelievable but this guy is the complete player.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2017, 07:48:39 PM »

Your boy Cotchin is also playing quality football
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2017, 09:37:44 AM »
I never really saw the likes of Silvagni, and some people think Fletcher and Scarlett were better than Rance.

I don't agree. Scarlett was a great defender in a team that had one of the best midfields of the last generation, and good support around him in Enright, Longergan, Mackie, Harley etc.

Rance has been a juggernaut in a poor team with only Chaplin, Grimes (who I rate) and Astbury to back him up.

So from my own memories, which is mostly from the 2000's onwards, I think Rance is the best I've seen.

Michael Hurley LOL

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2017, 10:55:42 AM »
Rance also plays in an era where defenders can't get away even half the stuff that Silvagni, Fletcher in his prime and to a lesser extent, Scarlett could.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2017, 11:29:15 AM »
Rance also plays in an era where defenders can't get away even half the stuff that Silvagni, Fletcher in his prime and to a lesser extent, Scarlett could.... :shh
Re: Blasphemy?

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2017, 11:49:30 PM »
Yes he is ...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2017, 02:41:24 PM »
'HE'S ALWAYS IN THE CONTEST'

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick says Alex Rance is up there with the best defenders he has seen in more than two decades of involvement in the game.

Rance was best afield for the Tigers as he held Sydney star Lance Franklin to just one goal on Saturday in a sterling display.

“I don’t think I’ve seen a better one-on-one player in my time in footy to be honest,” Hardwick said on Fox Footy’s On the Couch last night.

“The way he goes about the game, he’s always in the contest and even when he’s not in the contest, he gets to the contest. He’s had a very good year and I think the game he played on the weekend was one of the best I’ve seen from him.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-daily-live-rolling-footy-news-from-around-australia/news-story/6f456a6256fe7d54b642e1b19a01a391