Author Topic: Richmond - 3rd most inaccurate at goalkicking & 5th worst at set shots (H-Sun)  (Read 4743 times)

tony_montana

Just cant get over how much we butcher easy goals. Counted about 5 today that youd mark down as certain sodas, add a couple of cheapies the hawks got and im still scratching my head as to how we only won by 5 goals and not 12

dwaino

Just cant get over how much we butcher easy goals. Counted about 5 today that youd mark down as certain sodas, add a couple of cheapies the hawks got and im still scratching my head as to how we only won by 5 goals and not 12

Another >100 score gone begging. We can bang on about certain players, selection committee, the head coach, anything else, but the most minimal improvement in front of goals and we go two games on top of the ladder. Come finals we can't afford to let any team have a sniff, no good having the best defence if we can't put teams away on the scoreboard. This feels like a very unsettled season/era of footy coming off dominant periods of a few clubs like Hawthorn and if we take our chances properly there is no reason we can't snatch the whole thing this year like the Dogs did last year. Who knows if the league will settle next season and we aren't in the same position as we are now. I'll spew if it comes down to losing it because our players suck at the most basic and fundamental skill of our game.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Jack missed 3 gettable chances after nailing his first early in the game.

Houli's two missed sitters from 20 out, both after 50m penalties, were momentum killers :facepalm.

You can get away with missing set shots and stuffing up good chances against bottom sides (last week) but not against top sides.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Jack missed 3 gettable chances after nailing his first early in the game.

Houli's two missed sitters from 20 out, both after 50m penalties, were momentum killers :facepalm.

You can get away with missing set shots and stuffing up good chances against bottom sides (last week) but not against top sides.

Its simply not good enough. You could tell Houli was going to miss his first 2 shots...playing around pretending his left hand was slippery  :banghead Concentrate and kick the bloody ball straight!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Don't worry.....some clearly very astute experts have informed me that Big Guy Levi will rectify the situation....... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Barry Oh

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
In round 1 next year we'll kick 19 8 122.
Because its the start of the season that boosts membership sales.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Don't worry.....some clearly very astute experts have informed me that Big Guy Levi will rectify the situation....... :shh
If Big Guy Levi played for us today we would have won that game. Blind Freddy can see we need a contested marking beast at CHF.
Henderson killed us today with his intercept marking.

Anyway agree to disagree on him but I'd take him in a heartbeat especially for nothing.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
If Big Guy Levi played for us today we would have won that game. Blind Freddy can see we need a contested marking beast at CHF.

Anyway agree to disagree on him but I'd take him in a heartbeat especially for nothing.

Yep well said. Especially when you consider he would replace Soldo.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame

We need him or similar that's for sure. Something for our smalls to feed off as they can't be the down the line target.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
I hope the boys finally realised today how much easier it is to win when you kick straight (25.5). Typically this year, 30 scoring shots would result in 12.15 + 3 OOTF and only a grinded out 30 point win.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Bankers or shankers?: Your club's best and worst set shots (afl site)
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2017, 01:51:12 PM »
Bankers or shankers?: The best and worst set shots

Nathan Schmook
afl.com.au
23 August 2017

WE'VE heard it time and again - kicking for goal is the one skill that hasn't improved in football over many seasons. But some players are far more reliable sharpshooters than others.

Here are the best and worst at your club when lining up in front of the big sticks.

RICHMOND

Best: Dustin Martin (18 shots, 11 goals, six behinds, one miss, 61 per cent)
A key tactic for the Tigers this season has been isolating Martin deep forward, where he can monster his opponents one-on-one in dangerous positions. As a result, he has taken 22 marks inside 50 (more than all top-20 ball-winners bar Patrick Dangerfield) and found himself in positions where he can capitalise. Then there is his pure skill with the footy in his hands.

Worst: Shane Edwards (13 shots, four goals, seven behinds, two misses, 31 per cent)
Playing on a wing and at half-forward, Edwards hasn't been taking set shots in high-percentage areas this season. He most notably kicked 0.3 against GWS in round 18, including one set shot from 40m and another from 50m on the boundary. He hasn't been rotated deep forward like other midfielders at Punt Road Oval.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-23/bankers-or-shankers-your-clubs-best-and-worst-set-shots