Author Topic: Hardwick's post-match media conference/ Tigers must 'get used to the close ones'  (Read 6015 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dimma's post-match presser:

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2017-06-17/round-13-hardwick-postmatch

------------------------------------------------------------------

'Tigers must 'get used to the close ones': Hardwick

afl.com.au
17 June 2017

'We weren't good enough for long enough' Damien Hardwick rues the close loss to the Sydney Swans

RICHMOND can't hide from tight games, so they better find a way to win the arm wrestles, says coach Damien Hardwick.

Despite the Tigers losing their fourth game by fewer than 10 points for the season after going down to Sydney at the MCG, Hardwick remains hopeful the Tigers can start to win the close ones.

"I think that [narrow margins] is what our side has to get used to. We're very competitive. We'll keep the games close," Hardwick said after the nine-point loss to the Swans.

"We're not going to win games by 10 goals. We're not going to lose games, hopefully, by 10 goals either. It is always going to be an arm wrestle."

Hardwick was disappointed that four of the five goals Richmond conceded to the Swans in the thrilling final quarter were from stoppages, as defending set plays had been a focus during the preparation.

However, he said it was tough keeping the experienced Swans at bay once their midfield began to lift.

In the end, Hardwick said Richmond, who kicked the first six goals of the game, weren't good enough for long enough.

"They lifted their work rate in and around the contest and we weren't able to match it at the very end," Hardwick said.

"If you let your guard down for a period of time they can score pretty quickly."

Hardwick praised Alex Rance, who beat superstar Lance Franklin in an enthralling battle, and nearly saved the game with his efforts in the final quarter.

"I thought when the game asked for someone to stand up I thought he did that pretty well," Hardwick said.

Richmond remains in the top four with seven wins and Hardwick is adamant its best football can beat most teams.

"We didn't win today but we will learn a bit out of it and we will go forward and we attack Carlton next Sunday [at the MCG] with vigour," Hardwick said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-17/tigers-must-get-used-to-the-close-ones-hardwick

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
can someone for the life of me explain why he would say these things in public.

He really has NFI this bloke, he really doiesnt.

Most cliubs know we are soft as butter but why give them additional amunition.

Hope they see the light and send him packing like they should have done last year.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Ruanaidh

'strange fruit'....figuratively speaking of course.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

"We're not going to win games by 10 goals. We're not going to lose games, hopefully, by 10 goals either. It is always going to be an arm wrestle."

I can't quite get over this comment. We led by 36 points in the 2nd quarter. We have failed to convert periods of absolute dominance in a number of games this year.

If we aren't going to win games by 10 goals, it is because we don't know bloody well how too!

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Find a template that involves winning by more than 6 pts might be a good start. 

tony_montana

I can't quite get over this comment. We led by 36 points in the 2nd quarter. We have failed to convert periods of absolute dominance in a number of games this year.

If we aren't going to win games by 10 goals, it is because we don't know bloody well how too!

If the coach doesn't believe that, then the players sure as hell aren't going to believe it either. That's the second times he's said that this season, absolute garbage!!! If we kick straight we can win plant of games by 10+ goals but whilst this Muppet keeps saying things like that we never will

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame

If the coach doesn't believe that, then the players sure as hell aren't going to believe it either. That's the second times he's said that this season, absolute garbage!!! If we kick straight we can win plant of games by 10+ goals but whilst this Muppet keeps saying things like that we never will

Well I'm sure he would change his mind if we actually kick straight for a change  :banghead it's on the players and no excuses for big Nank and Castagna missing from straight in front constantly  :banghead

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Damien Hardwick says Tigers doing a lot right (H-Sun)
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 10:23:08 PM »
Damien Hardwick says Tigers doing a lot right

Chris Cavanagh,
Herald Sun
18 June 2017

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick says his players have to get used to dealing with pressure situations in close games after another devastating defeat to Sydney at the MCG.

The Tigers were left to lament missed opportunities in the final quarter and a young forward line that lost its way after halftime as the Swans kicked eight of the last nine goals of the game to secure a nine-point win.

It was an all-too familiar tale for Richmond fans, who have already been tormented by slender losses to Western Bulldogs (five points), Fremantle (two points) and Greater Western Sydney (three points) this season.

But a philosophical Hardwick said close margins were something to get used to and his side had to learn to be on the right side of them more often.

“We’re very competitive, we’ll keep games close,” he said.

“We’re not going to win games by 10 goals, we’re not going to lose games, hopefully, by 10 goals either. It’s always going to be an arm wrestle.

“Sometimes you’re going to keep your head above water and sometimes you’re going to go under.”

A ladder reversing the results of games decided by six points or less this season which was reported during the week had Richmond sitting on top with a 10-1 record before Round 13.

That was painful enough for already long-suffering Tigers fans before yesterday’s defeat, which would have also been by less than a goal if not for a Gary Rohan major in the final 12 seconds.

Hardwick said his side simply “weren’t good enough for long enough” against the Swans, who overcame a 36-point second-quarter deficit to win a fifth game in six outings.

“They’ve got some really good players, seasoned campaigners that can get the game back going their way and we just weren’t quite able to curtail that at various stages throughout the game,” he said.

“There’s a lot of things we’re doing right. There’s some things that we can improve in, there’s no doubt about that. I thought we didn’t quite have the level of consistency of performance that we had from our 22 players. We were probably down in that area today. It probably cost us in the end.”

Richmond holds a 7-5 record heading into a clash with Carlton next Sunday which Hardwick said his side would attack “full of vigour”.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-says-richmond-doing-a-lot-right-after-loss-to-sydney/news-story/bcc7f458b54dfe688275e6eb360630e5

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
What an idiot.
Go Tigers!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Wow....he trotted out that ridiculous "10 goals" line again...... :facepalm

We've got absolutely no hope as long as this clown remains in charge....with or without Martin....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Again this goose said after we lost another 60+ point loss in his first year. If we lose by 10+ goals is a player issue, but if we lose under 10 points its a coaching issue.

Add another loss to the coaches fault Damien..
Go Tigers!

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
He's going to set us back another 30 years, his attitude is all wrong and creating a limited mind set in his players, it is no wonder that we surrender 40 point leads, everyone's expecting it, because, "we are never going to win by ten goals" Hardwick needs to be offloaded.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
In their mind they have the right coach
In my view, we have close to the right group not the coach
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Thats rubbish guys blaming Dimma I'm not a supporter of him but please get real.How is it these guys miss sitters in front of goal ?.Or a panic merchants under pressure and don't do the team thing's.I tell you why because they have brain fades and a mentally weak and make school boy errors.Have a look at our leadership tell me do see a Kieran Jack or a Kennedy I see high.profile players going in there shell when the heat is on.

tony_montana

Thats rubbish guys blaming Dimma I'm not a supporter of him but please get real.How is it these guys miss sitters in front of goal ?.Or a panic merchants under pressure and don't do the team thing's.I tell you why because they have brain fades and a mentally weak and make school boy errors.Have a look at our leadership tell me do see a Kieran Jack or a Kennedy I see high.profile players going in there shell when the heat is on.

yep and that is all defined by the head coach...