Author Topic: Tigers desperate for forward options  (Read 1460 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Tigers desperate for forward options
« on: February 15, 2006, 01:29:30 PM »
Tigers desperate for forward options

15 February 2006   Herald Sun
Jon Anderson

RICHMOND fans get ready for the ride because goals are again on the menu this season.

Coach Terry Wallace promised it last year and delivered, even if it sometimes meant the floodgates opened at the other end, a balance that will hopefully be righted this season.

The goalkicking options look greater this year, as evidenced yesterday at Victoria Park during a two-hour training session.

Daniel Jackson, 19, recruited as a defender from Carey Grammar, was a notable forward addition as he led from the 10m square.

Jackson spent the second half of last week's Ballarat intra-club practice match at full-forward, kicking three goals on Thomas Roach.

His move forward is an attempt by Wallace to discover smaller forwards who can "ping" from the goalsquare.

"It's the nature of the game, the quicks who can ping out of the goalsquare like Matty Robbins (Western Bulldogs)," Wallace said.

"We've tried (Brett) Deledio, (Richard) Tambling, (Daniel) Jackson and even (David) Rodan out of the square.

"Daniel Jackson is a bloody good athlete, can run distance, can run speed.

"He hasn't played a lot of footy and has sometimes struggled to find the ball in the middle of the ground where the angles are different. At half-back, it is more straight ahead so we've tried the same sort of theory coming out of the goalsquare.

"It simplifies the games for him and he's going OK."

Wallace expects 203cm ruckman Greg Stafford will spend a lot of time near the goals with Matthew Richardson playing up the ground.

That would mean Nathan Brown, Stafford and a leading forward, such as Jackson, near goals with Andrew Krakouer and Rodan hovering.

Then there's Kayne Pettifer and Deledio further out, and promising key forward Adam Pattison.

It's designed to add options to an attack that has relied on Richardson for a decade.

"I've tried to get them to be not completely Richo conscious because he'll find the ball anyway and kick his goals," Wallace said.

"Last year he kicked the same amount of goals at centre half-forward as he did the year before at full-forward, so he's best for us up the ground.

"In the last three or four years of his career, as long as his body holds up, he'll come back to the goalsquare."

Right now that territory is open to young opportunists such as Jackson, although the well-spoken teenager admits he has a long way to go.

"I've got to learn to move like an agile forward and get in the positions to kick goals," Jackson said.

"I've had to learn to hold back against my will and wait for the right moment which is against my natural instinct.

"I have this real urge to go.

"Hopefully, it's another string to my bow, I'm still learning the game but it could give me more chances to play at senior level.

"I was only told a week ago I could be tried up forward.

"I'd been playing full-back and then moved to full-forward halfway through last weekend's practice game."

Jackson was an outstanding schoolboy athlete, capable of running 11sec for 100m and 49.7sec for 400m.

He played six senior games while still at school in 2004 and 10 last season.

After his first full pre-season, he is ready for the next step.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,18153529%255E20322,00.html
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers desperate for forward options
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 01:31:06 PM »

"I've tried to get them to be not completely Richo conscious because he'll find the ball anyway and kick his goals," Wallace said.

"Last year he kicked the same amount of goals at centre half-forward as he did the year before at full-forward, so he's best for us up the ground.

"In the last three or four years of his career, as long as his body holds up, he'll come back to the goalsquare."

:bow :bow :cheers :thumbsup  :clapping

Three or four more years of the big fella - Julz wil be pleased very pleased  ;D ;) :woohoo
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 01:15:12 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 02:19:17 PM »
Our foward options aren't too bad at the moment. But I hope we can get some more classy firepower in the foward line in this years draft. One of Thorp, Hansen, Gumbleton or Sellar would be good, but it would be great to get more than one of them  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 06:17:22 PM »
With Richo, Browny, Pettifer, Tambo, Lids, Krakouer, Staff, Patto as well as Simmonds and even Schulz, Jackson and Tuck plus Hughes as a key forward in the pipeline, we're starting to put together a pretty handy and potent forward line. I would add the Bowdens as potential forwards too but it looks like Wallace will play instead them upfield.

As long as they get enough quality supply from the midfield and don't resort back to being Richo-conscious then we have the capacity to kick big scores. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 08:39:48 AM »
I wouldn't have thought our forward line was too much of a problem.  Rather the backline needs boosting. :-\

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 03:32:50 PM »
  kicking goals is not a problem  its the delivery into the forward line that has been letting us down
hopefully with a more direct style of play and plenty of support for the ball carrier we can start giving our forwards some quality ball
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 04:58:39 PM »
  kicking goals is not a problem  its the delivery into the forward line that has been letting us down
hopefully with a more direct style of play and plenty of support for the ball carrier we can start giving our forwards some quality ball

Spot on 632.

The boys spent the whole session today working on just that  :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 05:10:17 PM »
The midfielders need to deliver more quality ball through the big sticks as well as to the forwards.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

blx

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 10:14:10 PM »
Danny Meyer to line up in the forward line.

Pros

deadeye dick
clever safe hands
very quick

Cons

wasted disposal talent in the forwards

he could possibly be another option for us.