Author Topic: Houli reported; suspension doubled from 2 to 4 weeks after AFL appeal [updated]  (Read 15245 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
How can you call something intentional when it all happened in a few tenths of a second?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
'Manifestly inadequate': AFL appeals Houli ban

THE AFL is appealing Bachar Houli's two-game suspension for striking Carlton's Jed Lamb on the grounds the sanction is "manifestly inadequate".

The AFL announced shortly after Wednesday's noon deadline that it had lodged an appeal.

"The AFL wishes to advise that general manager football operations Simon Lethlean today notified the AFL Appeal Board and the Richmond Football Club that the AFL would appeal the two-game suspension imposed on Richmond’s Bachar Houli for striking Carlton’s Jed Lamb during the first quarter of Sunday’s round 14 match at the MCG," the League said in a written statement.

"Mr Lethlean said the AFL had appealed the two-game suspension on the grounds the sanction imposed was manifestly inadequate."

The appeal will be heard on Thursday night at 5.30pm by three members of the Appeals Board, which consists of Peter O'Callaghan (chairman), Brian Collis QC (deputy chairman), Brian Bourke, Michael Green, Stephen Jurica and John Schultz.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-28/manifestly-inadequate-afl-appeals-houli-ban

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
I have no issue with the AFL appealing

Not condoning what Houli did in any way

What I have an issue with is the AFL's continued lack of consistency in anything to do with the MRP or tribunal

There has been numerous instances this season with jumper punches (Franklin, Cotchin to list 2) where the penalties have been weak and the AFL has done nothing

They could have appealed did nothing

Now they decide that we better appeal this because the media are having a field day with it

Please  :banghead

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
The AFL is a stuffen joke! The tribunal system is their own system! Pudding guts is appealing against the Tribunal he is responsible for.  Can't believe the CEO has allowed it.  Makes them look like stuffen idiots.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Bachar Houli outrage over suspension only matched by affront over Richmond’s defence

Jon Ralph,
Herald Sun
28 June 2017

BACHAR Houli isn’t using the race card by saying he is a peaceful person who never meant to hurt Jed Lamb.

And Richmond shouldn’t have to apologise for putting on the full court press to defend their star defender.

The AFL tribunal last night made a bizarre, nonsensical decision that the AFL has decided to appeal.

But somewhere along the way the football community has become outraged at Richmond’s defence as much as the tribunal decision itself.

If you invented the kind of issue likely to enrage the lunatic fringe as well as those who thrive on outrage, it is this one.

A football club enlisting polarising TV figure Waleed Aly and using the testimony of unpopular prime minister Malcolm Turnbull to help minimise a suspension for a brutal hit that concussed a rival.

Especially when Houli said as part of his religion he was a peaceful person not prone to violence.

To be accurate, Richmond tendered detailed character references from Aly and former assistant Mark Williams.

Then used that day’s comments from Malcolm Turnbull at a funding press conference for Houli’s programs to support their case.

But when hasn’t a football club used every possible avenue to minimise a suspension or even see their player escape any penalty?

Western Bulldogs ruckman Luke Darcy was the past master of tribunal performances.

He stood in front of the tribunal and spoke of how he was affronted to be cited and believed it was a stain on his character.

And by the way, your honour, if you could make the ruling quick smart because I don’t want a late night.

The tribunal mostly ruled in his favour as Darcy brilliantly used the system in his favour.

Richmond just used a different version of that technique.

Let’s get this straight: your five-year-old kid currently running around in Auskick knows more about footy than Malcolm Turnbull.

But quite clearly Richmond’s approach worked as the AFL tribunal consisting of Wayne “Moose” Henwood, David Neitz and Hamish McIntosh gave him a two-week discount.

They said “it is very rare that we come across an example of such a fine character ... and on that basis it’s a two-week penalty.”
Bachar Houli leaves the AFL tribunal after receiving a two-week suspension for striking Jed Lamb. Picture: Getty Images

What nonsense.

Players are often given discounts for good records and fine character, but the penalty should have been cut from four weeks to three at most.

Halving a suspension from four weeks to two is utter madness.

A two-week suspension is exactly what West Coast’s Will Schofield would have received if he failed to overturn his strike on Melbourne’s Clayton Oliver.

The image of both Houli and Schofield potentially receiving identical penalties on the night should have been enough to make the tribunal realise their error.

Especially when Toby Greene was handed a two-week suspension earlier in the year for a clumsy hit on Caleb Daniel many thought was an attempt to spoil.

What has got many hot under the collar is Houli’s use of religion to defend himself.

Houli told the tribunal of his strike, “It’s something I have never ever done in my life and something I would never ever do. It’s part of my practice in my religion.

“I am a peaceful person. I am proud of how I have conducted myself.”

Again, Houli spoke from the heart just as he had done in immediately contacting Jed Lamb to apologise.

Some commentators desperate for attention and keen to whip up confected outrage will turn that sentence into something it isn’t.

It’s hard to argue there is a more solid citizen than Houli in the AFL or a better role model who has done more for a faith that is being questioned by many Australians.

But it was up to the tribunal to see that religion wasn’t a factor in this decision.

Muslim or Christian or Athiest, if you whack a bloke in the head hard enough to concussion him badly, you can’t only serve a two-week suspension.

Kudos to Richmond for using every available avenue to get their star defender back as quickly as possible.

Now after the tribunal made a total balls-up of that decision it is time for the AFL to come in and clean up the mess.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/why-is-the-football-community-so-outraged-at-richmonds-defence-of-bachar-houli/news-story/76caa8084638cbe849a5dfc508d8847e

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The Club acknowledges the AFL is appealing the Bachar Houli decision and we are currently considering our options.

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/879900915947458560

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
Pudding guts is an incompetent fool and now the whole AFL world can see it.  Can only think Gill wants to get rid of him so is giving him free reign to give him the ammunition he needs at a later date.  Its your stuffen Tribunal pudding guts that you put in place and manage that made the 2 week decision!!!

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
The Club acknowledges the AFL is appealing the Bachar Houli decision and we are currently considering our options.

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/879900915947458560

Bachar should sue the AFL for the stress the process is causing him

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Re: Houli reported & cops 2 weeks from Tribunal [updated]
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2017, 06:57:37 PM »
I just saw that the AFL is funding the 'Bachar Houli' Academy. A component of its charter is to impart Muslim Identity and 'Religious' studies.  :banghead. My first year back as a member in 4 years will be my last. I'll not be party to this treachery.
http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/index.php?id=1907

The Academy is all about giving opportunities and providing a pathway for young Muslim men aspiring to play AFL football. The program focuses on strengthening player’s leadership abilities, build a brotherhood and provide a unique football development opportunity for young Muslim men, as well as giving the participants the opportunity to learn about their identity and Religion.

Total silence from the SJW's on why it's so non inclusive of all people groups.  :shh :lol

........... meanwhile my wife (a kinder teacher) isn't allowed to sing or teach any "religious" or "Christian sounding" Christmas carols at this years end of year kinder Christmas production for the kindergarden graduates because it might offend people.  :rollin

But let's learn more about Islam so we can all learn the songs they sing. :clapping

... Better yet let's bring in Waleeds Mrs to teach the kids if their not Muslim they are second class citizens and even worse if they happen to be women.  :shh
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Tommy

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2017, 08:04:10 PM »
I just saw that the AFL is funding the 'Bachar Houli' Academy. A component of its charter is to impart Muslim Identity and 'Religious' studies.  :banghead. My first year back as a member in 4 years will be my last. I'll not be party to this treachery.

The Academy is all about giving opportunities and providing a pathway for young Muslim men aspiring to play AFL football. The program focuses on strengthening player’s leadership abilities, build a brotherhood and provide a unique football development opportunity for young Muslim men, as well as giving the participants the opportunity to learn about their identity and Religion.

Total silence from the SJW's on why it's so non inclusive of all people groups.  :shh :lol

........... meanwhile my wife (a kinder teacher) isn't allowed to sing or teach any "religious" or "Christian sounding" Christmas carols at this years end of year kinder Christmas production for the kindergarden graduates because it might offend people.  :rollin

But let's learn more about Islam so we can all learn the songs they sing. :clapping

... Better yet let's bring in Waleeds Mrs to teach the kids if their not Muslim they are second class citizens and even worse if they happen to be women.  :shh

Tigeritis is spot on here.

This is happening everywhere not just in kinders.

Its happening in our schools as well and in every community.

The traditions we used to know are going.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Shut TF up Tigeritis. Peddling your anti Muslim bullcrap on a god damn football forum
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
in reference to the academy so it has relevance.

reckon he is on the money old tigeritis

back to houli funny how all th carltank supporters are the most vocal about it since they lost the 4 points. I guess anything that deflects what a joke they are helps their cause.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Ruanaidh

« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2017, 09:10:10 PM »

Tigeritis is spot on here.

This is happening everywhere not just in kinders.

Its happening in our schools as well and in every community.

The traditions we used to know are going.
Well said the two 'T's'. :thumbsup. But hey, speak against this crap and for our  traditions, you'll be surprised how much support you will get.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens

Even better,  keep Christian or any other cult songs out of kinders or school, do it in church, leave the magical thinking in the temples and don't indoctrinate children, let them grow up and make their own choices.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
In all honesty this is nothing short of a circus.How can the AFL appeal the tribunal went it is under the AFL and staff is employed by them.Wouldn't have been nice to see AFL showing it's weight last 10 years with the doping scandals and deliberately tanking by clubs not bring punished enough instead swept under the carpet.