Author Topic: Houli reported; suspension doubled from 2 to 4 weeks after AFL appeal [updated]  (Read 15233 times)

dwaino

Biggest thing I take from it is how useless the tribunal is. Every man and his dog said 4 weeks down to 3 due to good record. MRP could have just as easily handed it down and nobody bats an eyelid. Instead they waste everyone's time with a tribunal that carries as much weight as Judge Judy's, appeal the 2 weeks and get the 4 they always wanted.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
He got what any player would deserve for his actions imo.

The AFL has shown it has a backbone and stepped in when imbeciles got it horriblely wrong.

You can twist it anyway you want, he swung his arm intentionally and knocked a player out.

No doubt should of got suspension.When you look at what Bary Hall got off to play in Grand final.this make you wonder.My problem is with the AFL who pick and choose battles they like to fight.Been doping issues in our game over 10.years now, brushed under the carpet and tryed to cover up same with tanking by clubs deliberately not punished because there at the bottom or punished then rewarded with first round picks take a look at blues,bombers and dees.Be nice if they took the same path.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
He got what any player would deserve for his actions imo.

The AFL has shown it has a backbone and stepped in when imbeciles got it horriblely wrong.

You can twist it anyway you want, he swung his arm intentionally and knocked a player out.

Accept the decision

But

Let's hope this backbone you speak of is now permanent for ALL cases not just the ones the media drive.

Just want consistency

And sadly with the AFL that's not exactly a strength
Regardless of all that, do you think they got this one right WP?

I originally thought 3 weeks

So yeah the decision is more right than wrong. It's how they got to it I have a major problem with

I found the Cunnington punch to the Bulldogs player just as bad. And he got a week. Punch to the throat area is mighty dangerous as well, could end someone's career

That's what I mean by lack of consistency
The AFL did what the system is designed to do and that is to appeal when they think the MRP get it horribly wrong.

You talk about consistency but even with this case people's opinions are miles apart. I think it's cut and dry but some think he should have got off because he was being held. WTF!
So consistency is what your opinion is of each case. Just because you don't agee with every decision doesn't mean they are inconsistent. Maybe you are wrong??

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-03/demons-jordan-lewis-jesse-hogan-dealt-double-blow-by-mrp

a week more than this bloke. hahaha
So you think this is worse than the Houli incident obviously?
He did break the guys jaw AND had a poor record which I thought counts for something.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-03/demons-jordan-lewis-jesse-hogan-dealt-double-blow-by-mrp

a week more than this bloke. hahaha
So you think this is worse than the Houli incident obviously?

Unless Lamb has a fracured jaw then absolsutely i do

lewis record is one of the worst in the league

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Houli was trouble after AFL legal counsel showed replay of Jed Lamb concussion

JON RALPH,
Herald Sun
30 June 2017

“UNCONSCIOUS before he hits the ground...”

Those six words uttered by the AFL legal counsel Andrew Woods were the hammer blow that will see Bachar Houli miss the next four games.

Thursday night’s appeal was subjected to two hours of dense and at times irrelevant legal argument.

But it was Woods’ initial 10-second replay of Houli’s hit on Carlton’s Jed Lamb that spoke louder than any withering cross examination.

That slow-mo vision showed Lamb with hands at his side, defenceless and unconscious as he plunged into the MCG turf.

It was that irrefutable fact — rather than any interpretation of the AFL’s judiciary — to which appeals board chairman Peter O’Callaghan finally returned.

O’Callaghan quietly ripped apart the central Richmond argument — that the “good bloke” defence could see a four-week ban reduced to two.

“Undoubtedly the evidence established Mr Houli is worthy of the highest praise and respect of which he is held by the community,” O’Callaghan said.

“But that cannot and should not distract from the objective fact that the strike was high and resulted in him being made unconscious and quite unable to play out the match.

“A blow from a person of exemplary character has just the same impact as a person of bad character.”

Bottom line: justice was served, even if took the first ever AFL appeal to rectify a decision so bad it was one-in-one-hundred-years awful.

And no matter your club allegiance or belief in the integrity of the tribunal and its right to consider exceptional circumstances, two weeks was ridiculously inadequate.

When the dust settled Richmond will realise that the brilliance of its argument on Tuesday night actually cost Houli an extra week’s suspension.

One against premiership favourite GWS at the MCG, no less.

Had the tribunal jury settled on a three-week ban it might not have passed the sniff test but the AFL would never have appealed.

Instead, as AFL footy boss Simon Lethlean said last night, he felt compelled to do so to protect the health and safety of players.

There was no sign last night of Messrs. Neitz, Henwood and McIntosh, presumably being flogged out in the stocks behind AFL House.

Malcolm Turnbull is right in that Houli does work of “extreme and extraordinary importance”.

It just isn’t relevant in a tribunal case when he can already access a discount for a guilty plea.

This was not an appeal rich in quotable quotes, more dense legal arguments.

Back in 2014 Joel Selwood helped Brent Harvey’s successful appeal when he admitted he bled like a Game of Thrones character at the slightest contact.

Back then legal counsel Jeff Gleeson QC conceded Selwood was the “league leader of bleeders”, but this appeal was dry and full of nuance.
Bachar Houli speaks to the media after receiving a four-week suspension. Picture: Getty Images

Woods stated his case then Houli’s counsel Michael Tovey spent 90 interminable minutes fleshing out why the two-week discount was appropriate.

He pushed arguments that the tribunal jury were totally within their rights to argue compelling and exceptional circumstances.

As he said of tribunal member Wayne Henwood, the former is a barrister and former AFL anti-doping board member who isn’t easily swayed by flawed arguments.

Other arguments were less successful, like when he argued: “What he’s convicted of is not an intentional strike to the head, but an intentional strike, resulting in contact to the head”.

With respect your honour, that sounded like an unadulterated slice of gibberish.

Houli is one of football’s great ambassadors who does not deserve to be booed now no matter your view on this case.

But he deserved a three or four-match ban and if it took a historic AFL appeal, then so be it.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/bachar-houli-was-trouble-after-afl-legal-counsel-showed-replay-of-jed-lamb-concussion/news-story/029cf53d2ec458e3e53577d843cc5e18

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
FO Ralph

Ruanaidh

"Looking at cotch not Lamb"

https://twitter.com/deathwish5666/status/880340978963324929
Just before that mysterious 'wind of Allah' (insert picture of Mohammed here) lifted his arm involuntarily and swung it to strike the infidel and non halal Lamb.  ::)

Let it go,  he still got off light.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
The AFL did what the system is designed to do and that is to appeal when they think the MRP get it horribly wrong.

You talk about consistency but even with this case people's opinions are miles apart. I think it's cut and dry but some think he should have got off because he was being held. WTF!
So consistency is what your opinion is of each case. Just because you don't agee with every decision doesn't mean they are inconsistent. Maybe you are wrong??

But they thought the MRP's was "horrible wrong" as well when it came to jumper punches and what did they do? Said after the Cotchin jumper punch "it's not a good look & we'll change the rules". But for a further 2 weeks nothing changed until Hawkins from Geelong got suspended. If they were so outraged and so concerned by the litany of jumpers punches (Franklin & Cotchin being the main 2) why didn't they appeal those?

Toby Greene blatantly punches Daniel from the Bulldogs in play, has a shocking record but because Daniel is wearing that helmet thing and continues playing he cops a couple of weeks, no appeal there. He should have got 3-4

Cunnington whacks a kid in the throat and smiles afterwards and he gets 2 weeks but for an early plea it becomes a week. The bloke smiled - that isn't a good look. But we'll let that one through as well

The Lewis one, he broke a blokes jaw, behind play, he has a terrible record and do they refer that straight to the tribunal no. Nah they say "we can grade this and here's 4 weeks down to 3 with an early plea. Don't worry about your pathetic record or the kids broken jaw, it being behind the play, here's 3 weeks off you go". What does the image conscience AFL do? Nothing... why didn't they appeal that

What Houli did was stupid, it was bad. A kid got knocked out. So the penalty is right under the rules as they stand

But the fact the AFL picked this case out of 100's to appeal reeks of inconsistency, being influenced by the media. They've now set a precedent and as I said let's see if they are consistent with applying it..

History shows they won't be and that's my issue

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
"Looking at cotch not Lamb"

https://twitter.com/deathwish5666/status/880340978963324929
Just before that mysterious 'wind of Allah' (insert picture of Mohammed here) lifted his arm involuntarily and swung it to strike the infidel and non halal Lamb.  ::)

Let it go,  he still got off light.

Your boring references to religion render your posts as completely irrelevance
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

But they thought the MRP's was "horrible wrong" as well when it came to jumper punches and what did they do? Said after the Cotchin jumper punch "it's not a good look & we'll change the rules". But for a further 2 weeks nothing changed until Hawkins from Geelong got suspended. If they were so outraged and so concerned by the litany of jumpers punches (Franklin & Cotchin being the main 2) why didn't they appeal those?

Toby Greene blatantly punches Daniel from the Bulldogs in play, has a shocking record but because Daniel is wearing that helmet thing and continues playing he cops a couple of weeks, no appeal there. He should have got 3-4

Cunnington whacks a kid in the throat and smiles afterwards and he gets 2 weeks but for an early plea it becomes a week. The bloke smiled - that isn't a good look. But we'll let that one through as well

The Lewis one, he broke a blokes jaw, behind play, he has a terrible record and do they refer that straight to the tribunal no. Nah they say "we can grade this and here's 4 weeks down to 3 with an early plea. Don't worry about your pathetic record or the kids broken jaw, it being behind the play, here's 3 weeks off you go". What does the image conscience AFL do? Nothing... why didn't they appeal that

What Houli did was stupid, it was bad. A kid got knocked out. So the penalty is right under the rules as they stand

But the fact the AFL picked this case out of 100's to appeal reeks of inconsistency, being influenced by the media. They've now set a precedent and as I said let's see if they are consistent with applying it..

History shows they won't be and that's my issue

Exactly this.  :clapping

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
In that article Ralph says this:

It just isn’t relevant in a tribunal case when he can already access a discount for a guilty plea.

I thought the discount only applied to any MRP penalty. But not if the incident was referred straight to the Tribumal.