Author Topic: Hardwick's post-match media conference/ Dimma frustrated at 'ugly' Tigers win  (Read 489 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dimma's post-match presser:

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2017-06-25/round-14-hardwick-postmatch

--------------------------------------------------------

Hardwick left frustrated at 'ugly' Tigers win

afl.com.au
25 June 2017

A FRUSTRATED Damien Hardwick was satisfied Richmond banked its eighth victory of the year despite having to win "a little ugly" at the MCG on Sunday.

The Tigers trailed at quarter-time, but dominated almost every key statistic as they eventually cleared out to a 26-point success over a dogged Carlton line-up.

They remain in sixth place, level on wins with Melbourne and next opponent Port Adelaide, which hosts Richmond at Adelaide Oval on Saturday night.

"I never really felt we were probably challenged, if that makes sense," Hardwick said.

"The way we dominated the game, we always looked the stronger side, so I was more frustrated we couldn't get the scoreboard effort.

"I don't know how many marks inside 50 we had and what our set-shot conversion was, but it certainly wasn't to the level we'd like today.

"That's what happens sometimes in this game. You get frustrated and win a little bit ugly at stages and we probably did that today."

Hardwick continues to find creative ways to compensate for his lack of tall options, with 181cm Jason Castagna proving a handy full-forward, particularly in the opening half.

He also put 186cm Josh Caddy into the ruck at stages to spell Toby Nankervis as he sought unsuccessfully to curb Blues big man Matthew Kreuzer's influence.

The Tigers are without Todd Elton (shoulder), Ben Griffiths (concussion) and Shaun Hampson (back), leaving Hardwick the option of playing the likes of veteran Ivan Maric – who was an emergency – or rookies Ivan Soldo and Mabior Chol.

"In an ideal world, we'd probably prefer (a second tall forward alongside Jack Riewoldt)," Hardwick said.

"We have got some players, but unfortunately most of those guys have been probably injured for the majority of the year.

"So we've had to look at some other areas where we can try and get an advantage."

Richmond's ability to generate eight goals out of defence both pleased and surprised Hardwick, given much of its scoring this year came from its famed forward-half pressure.

The result leaves Hardwick's men potentially playing for a top-four spot next weekend against the fourth-ranked Power.

"They were outstanding yesterday, weren't they, versus Collingwood, but, in saying that, I thought Collingwood showed some signs, but just couldn't get on the scoreboard," he said.

"They played a real direct brand of footy – probably a little bit similar to us, in a way. They don't have a high-possession rate, but certainly go forward at a quick rate.

"All their forwards looked incredibly damaging yesterday, so we're going to have some headaches down there, but I'm really confident with our back six, so it's going to be a great challenge for us."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-25/hardwick-left-frustrated-at-ugly-tigers-win

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
I didn't get to see the game. Why did we kick so poorly on the scoreboard? Was it pressure or tactics or bad kicking?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I didn't get to see the game. Why did we kick so poorly on the scoreboard? Was it pressure or tactics or bad kicking?
Bad kicking... :banghead
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Bad kicking... :banghead

Yep, should've won by 8-10 goals
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick denies Jed Lamb concussion was a major factor in Tigers win over Carlton

Daniel Cherny
The Age
26 June 2017

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has scoffed at a suggestion his side beat Carlton because of the Blues' early loss of Jed Lamb following an incident that will almost certainly lead to Richmond's Bachar Houli being suspended.

Lamb was concussed after a backhander from Houli during the first term of a game which Hardwick labelled "frustrating" despite his side's 26-point victory at the MCG on Sunday.

Neither Hardwick nor Carlton coach Brendon Bolton claimed to have seen the incident.

Bolton said Lamb's absence made things "difficult" for his side, but said it was no excuse for the Blues' loss. Bolton was asked whether the return of a concussion substitute was a good idea, and said he'd need to give the matter more thought.

But he had no doubt that dealing with the loss of Lamb had been a challenge for his team. "Yeah it's difficult, but we've had to do that before, we've had to endure with a player down," Bolton said.

"It does put pressure on your rotations, it puts pressure through the group. But again, no excuses."

Yet Hardwick refuted a suggestion the extra man had made the difference, arguing that his side had dominated, as shown by their extra 21 inside 50 entries.

"I don't think we won the game on us having an extra player. Give me a spell!" Hardwick said.

Having capitulated eight days earlier against Sydney, the Tigers didn't cave in the final term despite the margin remaining relatively close.

Hardwick said his side had clearly deserved to win, but made things harder for themselves than necessary. "I never really felt we were challenged if that makes sense," Hardwick said.

"We dominated the game, we always looked the stronger side. I was probably more frustrated we couldn't get the scoreboard effort.

"It was a frustrating game, there's no doubt. We had nearly 30 scoring shots and just couldn't quite get the scoreboard reward I thought we deserved. "

"We've played better games but lost, if that makes sense. It was good to bank the four points and move on.

"They're really hard to play against with that amount of numbers back. It was a frustrating game but credit where credit's due I thought our boys fought their way through it, thought their way through it and we get the four points, so that's a good result."

Still the result leaves Richmond reasonably well placed with eight wins and five losses ahead of a trip to Adelaide to face Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval next Saturday night.

Hardwick said he thought the Power had been "outstanding" against Collingwood at the MCG on Saturday.

"They play a real direct brand of footy, probably a little bit similar to us in a way. Don't have a high possession rate but certainly go forward at a quick rate. All of their forwards looked incredibly damaging yesterday so we're going to have some headaches down there, but I'm really confident with our back six. It's going to be a great challenge for us, we're looking forward to it."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-denies-jed-lamb-concussion-was-a-major-factor-in-tigers-win-over-carlton-20170625-gwy9pr.html