Author Topic: Cotchin is the best captain in the AFL, says Rance .... (Mercury)  (Read 1333 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
“He’s the best captain in the comp,” Rance said of Cotchin.

“He’s really matured into his role and I love that he’s answered all those critics that have been so hard on his back over the last couple of years.

“He was just super today. I love playing for him.”

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/afl/alex-rance-says-trent-cotchin-is-best-captain-in-afl/news-story/d33bbfddb3496b10ba18018181faf11b

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Re: Cotchin is the best captain in the AFL, says Rance .... (Mercury)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 07:41:01 AM »
Nice words from a fellow teammate but not correct.

Could he be the best? I think he has the ability to be but he needs to learn how other elite players are able to shake the tag and like last night kick those crucial captains goals he normally misses.

Still a lot of improvement in the captain, I hope he's able to achieve it because we will need him to be able to break the tag and be a true leader when we play finals.
The club that keeps giving.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 07:48:08 AM »
Agree needs to break the tag like Dangerwood and Sloane etc etc

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 07:59:14 AM »

Sloane?
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 08:33:17 AM »
Exactly, even Dangerwood is effected by the tag

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 11:23:27 AM »
Not the best, but getting better which is what's important. Kicking straight and applying defensive pressure even when his possession numbers are down shows leadership imo.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 03:09:03 AM »
How Trent Cotchin helped turn Alex Rance’s form around to defeat Port Adelaide, enter top four

July 2, 2017
Tom Morris
FOX SPORTS

IT WAS at the Adelaide Oval that Trent Cotchin famously kicked into the wind against Port Adelaide in an elimination final.

It was at the Adelaide Oval that his leadership was questioned following Richmond’s 76-point defeat to the Crows two months ago.

But on Saturday night, it was at the Adelaide Oval that the football world got a terrific glimpse into Cotchin the skipper, the listener, the motivator.

Only Alex Rance and Cotchin know what was said between them at halftime, but whatever it was could prove to be a critical moment in Richmond’s season.

The Tigers were trailing by 15 points and consistently second to the ball at the time. Both teams had kicked inaccurately, but the Power appeared to have all the run and momentum. Damien Hardwick’s key players were a touch below their best too and things weren’t really working.

Specifically, Rance was struggling under a heavy tag from Port Adelaide’s Jackson Trengove.

For the first time in his career, the superstar defender had someone playing on him, rather than the other way around.

This was uncharted territory and Rance was well below his best, notching just six disposals and no spoils in the first two terms.

“This is a night that will change Alex Rance’s season,” North Melbourne great David King said on Fox Footy.

“I think it’s outstanding coaching by Ken Hinkley and his crew. This is a man who is the intercept king of the competition. Their back six is held together by one man and he had no influence tonight.”

“He’s a pocket of frustration at the moment. He’s confused. He’s not sure whether to go with Trengove or not. He looks rattled. He hasn’t had this happen to him before and Trengove has been disciplined. It’s confused Alex and he’s been annoyed and pestered by this.”

As a result of Rance’s limited influence on the contest, the Tigers lacked any rebound. They looked static, slow and lacked any creative flair.

Enter Cotchin the captain.

Fox Footy’s cameras caught the Richmond captain having an extended discussion with Rance at halftime. If there is one man who understands what it’s like to be tagged, it’s Cotchin.

Rance — and by extension Richmond — responded in emphatic fashion, with the team booting nine goals to three in a second half that sees the club leapfrog Port into the top four.

During a spell of six unanswered majors, the three-time all-Australian defender was back to his best. It’s no surprise that his second half stats reflected his team’s ascendancy.

Calling the 27-year-old a barometer is probably a touch harsh on Jack Riewoldt, Dustin Martin and Cotchin. But there is no doubt that when Rance is below his best, the Tigers suffer.

So when Rance amassed a total of 12 touches in quarters three and four to Trengove’s two, Richmond lifted.

Port pumped the ball inside its forward 50 on 24 occasions in the final term but none of these entries resulted in marks and Rance ended the game with a team-high 10 one percenters, many of which were spoils.

“It was a real mental battle for me,” Rance conceded post-game on Fox Footy.

“It was the first time I’ve had a hard run-with player on me like that. He (Trengove) played it to perfection. He got in my head and annoyed me and got some good rewards from it. He did so well.”

When asked directly about Cotchin’s halftime pep-talk, Rance lauded his captain as the finest in the AFL.

“Trent is the best captain in the competition in my mind,” he said.

“He’s really matured into that role and I love that he is answering all those critics that have been so hard on his back for the past couple of years. I just bloody love playing for him.”

Ultimately it was Rance that had to deliver when the heat was on, but it was Cotchin’s words at halftime that allowed him to clear his head, rationalise what had already taken place and look ahead.

Now the Tigers are a genuine top four fancy, and by extension a premiership chance.

If a season is defined by hundreds of moments, it was this one that could further push the success-starved club towards a flag that seemed utterly improbable — if not laughable — 12 months ago.

Who’s laughing now? Richmond’s fans.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/live-afl-round-15-port-adelaide-v-richmond/news-story/31de112ca44d05b55b13a6aaf961e6d8

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 12:26:32 PM »
And yet Tigeritis will reflect on stats as opposed to impact to judge Trent Cotchin as a leader.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 12:30:33 PM »
And yet Tigeritis will reflect on stats as opposed to impact to judge Trent Cotchin as a leader.

Yep - don't need to gather 35+ and kick 3 every week to be a great leader. We are a team now which Cotchin has played a huge role in developing.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 12:35:07 PM »
It's not like he was one of those blokes who was ready to go......
Instead, we had to cop all the leaderless mistakes on the way.
Having said that, he's now up there with Nick Maxwell  :snidegrin
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 01:05:44 PM »
your only as good as your last performance in september.

Its nice and all of that he is performing to an elite level, but it counts for zero if the wind blows the wrong way in a few months.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 02:27:11 PM »
Whatever Cotch said to Rance really helped.

I was super impressed.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 02:59:22 PM »
Cotch was the one who probably sent Dusty down there to momentarily help out, not dimmer.
Caracella and Balmey.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 07:00:04 PM »

Its nice and all of that he is performing to an elite level, but it counts for zero if the wind blows the wrong way in a few months.

Well pee off until September then
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 07:26:51 PM »

Well pee off until September then
HRT, you sound stupid when you say things like this. It's like when certain posters have nothing constructive to say they go the low blow with criticism of a posters level of support.

What Angus has said is valid. Cotchins last finals performance was woeful (9 poss) and the decision to kick against the wind the year before is now a constant joke amongst the footy fraternity.

Cotchin is an elite player and now a Brownlow medalist but he won't be remembered as a true champion of the game unless he can perform in finals. Those performances is what makes a legend.
The club that keeps giving.