Author Topic: Richmond a side with no confidence  (Read 10476 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond a side with no confidence
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2004, 11:09:38 PM »
Was I devasted? Am I comfortably numb? Do I care anyome?

I simply cannot answer these questions. To be honest I am not sure how I feel anymore.

What I can say though is, and I have said this many times before, when the game was in the balance we had no-one who stood up. Our lack of leadership came to the fore once more. And that is what ticks me off more than anything.

I am sick to death of the usual suspects gettng a game or worse still game time when we have good kids sitting on the pine. What is the point of picking the likes of Hartigan and Moore and then playing them for 3-5 minutes a quarter. Moore in particular deserved a better go than he got today.

I am still in state of shock that Schulz got as much time on the ground that he did. And guess what in the first quarter he was very good. Hell the Dockers even moved McPharlin on him - what does that tell you?

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2004, 11:36:40 AM »
Can't believe the lack of game time that Moore got, particularly when you look at how well he acquitted himself the week before. What was wrong with starting him on the ground?

I thought Duncan got far too much game time - before the game I'd half convinced myself that perhaps he'd told the club he was retiring and that this would be his last game.....wishful thinking.

I thought that Connelly actually managed to change our team structure even though we were up and should have been dictating terms. Classic example -  Bowden was well on top of Pavlich so he moved Pavlich first into the middle and then when that didn't work he moved him into our fwd line. Effectively took Bowden's run and (and boy did we need run) and set ups out of the game.

We are reactive in the way we're coached and that shows in the way the players play. As soon as we're headed or threatened the siege mentality takes over and it's every man and his dog behind the ball. What is wrong with trying to win a game?

Also cannot work out why when the ball is not getting to the full fwd line why we don't move Richo to CHF and drop Ottens or Staff back to full fwd. Richo will ALWAYS give a contest and bust a pack - if th ball gets near him you are guaranteed that something will happen, usually to the advantage of the Tiges. But NO we said that he'd play FF all season and by God that's what he's going to do.

Richmond may be a side without confidence, but I'm a supporter with no confidence. :'(

Jackstar

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2004, 05:14:17 PM »
Goos to see someome as knowledgeable as you BG 25 posting at OER, more of your accurate posts would be greatly appreciated ;)
Yes, if Duncan Kellaway gets another game, I will burn the joint down. ;)

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2004, 09:11:15 PM »
"Yeah, Nah" i was infuriated with our capitulation on Sunday.
I sat there completely sober for the first time in ages and felt the pain even more.
I just couldnt stop cursing and carrying on as i walked out of the ground.
Spot on WP, no-one to stand up and take control.
Captain Campbell is past it.
Throw the rookies in and shove the tired old faces out to Coburg.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2004, 12:46:44 PM »
I was livid. To spend good money to watch blokes get paid a fortune to play for the club who l love and they dont is insulting in the extreme.How many of those players could walk off the ground with their heads held high that they played the game to the best of there ability and ran and fought it out til the end....1?  2-3?
F##k that for a joke,every week we're given the same crap served up while they still earn a massive wedge regardless of effort and pride.
Damn right lm angry >:(
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2004, 12:52:19 PM »
I am sick to death of the usual suspects gettng a game or worse still game time when we have good kids sitting on the pine. What is the point of picking the likes of Hartigan and Moore and then playing them for 3-5 minutes a quarter. Moore in particular deserved a better go than he got today.

Infuriates me no end too WP.

Mind you, he gets a go when the game looks shot.  No, we don’t want to throw our young players to the wolves or anything, but we want them to save our backside when things look grim.  ::)

Why Blumfield was given a game before he was ready to play is beyond me?  Are we going that good, or that bad, that we need to play those who aren’t match fit?

I thought Chris Hyde did well early in the game, but for some inexplicable reason spent a lot of time on the bench.  He’s one player who has been putting in and he gets rewarded by being benched.

Brent Hartigan has spent a lot of time on the bench the last few weeks, they either send him back to Coburg to get some form, fitness and probably confidence back or they give him some proper game time.  >:(
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 05:13:33 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2004, 01:36:07 PM »
Why Blumfield was given a game before he was ready to play is beyond me?  Are we going that good, or that bad, that we need to play those who aren’t match fit?

That bad I reckon as well as hoping someone playing for their career would show a bit - a joke really  >:(

Brent Hartigan has spent a lot of time on the bench the last few weeks, they either send him back to Coburg to get some form, fitness and probably confidence back or they give him some proper game time.  >:(

This is an interesting one. I was at a dinner last week and Tom Roach spoke. He made a comment about going back to Coburg and having to pick-up the tempo of playing for longer periods after having spent the previous few weeks on the bench in the seniors. It makes you wonder the harm these prolonged pine exercises are costing these young blokes  :-\

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2004, 01:41:33 PM »
I was at a dinner last week and Tom Roach spoke. He made a comment about going back to Coburg and having to pick-up the tempo of playing for longer periods after having spent the previous few weeks on the bench in the seniors. It makes you wonder the harm these prolonged pine exercises are costing these young blokes  :-\

It doesn’t make me wonder WP, it just makes me angry.  Logic and commonsense would say that it doesn’t do them any good.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2004, 01:44:18 PM »
It doesn’t make me wonder WP, it just makes me angry.  Logic and commonsense would say that it doesn’t do them any good.

Wash your mouth out TS - logic and commonsense are words that are not used at my Club  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2004, 01:46:37 PM »

Wash your mouth out TS - logic and commonsense are words that are not used at my Club  ;) ;D ;D ;D

What a coincidence WP, they're not used at mine either.  :-\  ;D  :'(

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2004, 05:12:16 PM »
Post-May syndrome strikes again
Paul Gough
Sportal/exclusive to afl.com.au
14 June, 2004

Richmond fans could have been excused for feeling a case of déjà vu as they watched their club's season all but end, against Fremantle at the MCG on Sunday.

It was not just the fact they watched as the Tigers lost a game they should have won - after leading by 39 points late in the second quarter - that would have the "Tiger Army" thinking "here we go again."

But it was the timing of this latest setback that continues an alarming trend for Richmond under coach Danny Frawley.

A win against the Dockers would have stopped what is fast becoming known as the "post May curse" at Punt Road.

After three successive wins in rounds six, seven and eight this season, the Tigers were back on track with four wins and four losses and well in contention for a finals berth.

But since then, including Sunday's heart-breaking 10-point loss to the Dockers, the Tigers have now lost four in a row and at 4-8 and with the worst percentage in the AFL they are stuck in 14th place and look set to miss the finals again - as they have done every year since 1982 with the exceptions of 1995 and 2001.

And their slide since round eight this season mirrors exactly what they have done in each of the past two years under the embattled Frawley, whose contract runs out at the end of this season.

In 2002, the Tigers were also four wins and four losses after eight rounds and as winter began seemingly in contention for a finals berth.

They then proceeded to lose the next nine games in succession to eventually finish in 14th place.

Last year after round eight they were even better placed, having just beaten Melbourne to be sitting third with six wins and two losses.

They then lost their next eight games in a row and managed only one more win for the season to finish in 13th place.

And this year, well, it's already four losses in a row since round eight and with a revitalised Carlton plus Brisbane, Essendon and St Kilda to come in the next month - is it any wonder Richmond fans are already beginning to believe their team's season will fade into oblivion during the winter months, just as it has in the past two years?

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=featurestories&spg=display&articleid=154817

Ox

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2004, 05:20:03 PM »
AIM –To rectify the situation at Punt road and set a new precedent for club management,
Physical conditioning,membership totals and active sponsorship.

METHOD – Delist or trade.Turn-over list.No-one is unreplacable.
Replace Coach and coaching panel,admin

RESULT – Incompleted

When richmond people talk of such and such not being good enough they
are in actual fact speaking in terms of the new level of superiority they hope the club will set.
This may be a pipe dream but it's where we want to go.
It's yesterdays news that kellaway is at best the most awkwardly orientated player in the league
yet manages to be pushing for selection provided he can walk but it is still todays News at Richmond.

On Field.

I think it's fair to want the club to set new standards in physical conditioning and i think its imperative to achieve such standards if we are to be the best we can.
The only thing stopping us is a lost culture that has morphed into one of sheer laziness,selfishness and greed. Comradery and club passion has been flushed down the s-bend and replaced with an individualistic instinct for survival..
A mental and physical softness has more embedded itself within the club and gives credence to comments like “Bowden is a girl”
I’ve seen enough over recent years to make an educated observation that there is no hope while these types of players are still given opportunities and there is even less hope that they can find there way out of the psyche that is now a part of their life and memories of the RFC.
Not unlike a far-reaching disease this germ is responsible for our current predicament and perhaps more importantly,the admin of past years for not recognizing the symptom
before it was too late.I guess it’s hard to recognize a problem when you’re such a big part of it.

Coaching.

Forget Kevin Sheedy.
If he came back next year I’d give up wanking.
I hear people say how they prefer him over Wallace because Wallace walked out on his club.IMO,Sheeds has bent us over too many times in the past when trying to up his rate at Bumma land.
Big Kev has rodgered us more than Wallace ever could and still manages to get us excited.
When will we grow up.?

I look at Wallace as a 3 year contract coach.
The club has 3 years to target a topline replacement while Terry turns it over and gets some idiot back into the group.
As I’ve said before,this makes us a far more attractive prospect when aiming for topline coaches.Come the end of 3 years tell Wallace to get on shanks pony as we continue our impeccable record for killing coaches – Nothing wrong with it!!

Using Frawley as our poster boy for new found stability could be likened to building your home on quicksand.
Another brilliant marketing strategy.

ADMIN

Our plan for the future should be……… good - no…………...great!Why?
Because we've had 20 years to watch and learn from other clubs mistakes
as well as our own quagmire of underhanded,bad decision making.

Time is here to get with the modern aspects of running a football club.
With our laughable record we need to hire the right people for the right departments
and preferably choose the applicants on merits standardized from within the club as opposed to recommendations from the AFL(MAO)

It’s hard to comment on who is right for what at this stage as one needs a resume,at least
to begin to form even the smallest of opinions.

It’s easy to comment on who is wrong for the job.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 05:32:14 PM by Ox »

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2004, 05:41:57 PM »
LMFAOO @ the in-depth internal audit report including observations, implications and recommendations issued by independant auditors Earnst & Ox.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Ox

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2004, 06:56:52 PM »
LMAOO

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2004, 08:55:52 PM »
That was brilliant Ox!!!! ;D
Once again u have cured my post match trauma ........