Author Topic: Kerry  (Read 6278 times)

Moi

Kerry
« on: February 18, 2006, 05:10:16 AM »
Thought it was a bit "rich" to have a taxpayer-funded memorial yesterday for Kerry Packer.  For someone who probably avoided paying tax wherever he legitimately or whatever could, don't see why we should pay for this extravaganza.

Obviously, a very liked person (and probably hated just as much lol), but don't see why we had to pay for it.  Then again, maybe i'm just being petty because he was a rich man.  We've had other state funerals for others who i may not necessarily have liked and i never questioned, so maybe a bit of sour grapes here lol

He probably did a lot of good stuff behind the scenes, but so have others and not been recognised.

LMAO@Channel Nine doing an expose on him the other night.  Channel Nine's version of paying respect to him was to show it with no ads.  Oh my goodness, wonder if Kerry would have approved of that lol

Offline Ethel Merman

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland... we really mean it.....
Re: Kerry
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 03:44:53 PM »
I'd have gone to the Big Fella's funeral.....  if they'd buried the bastard alive.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 07:04:56 PM »
I think NSW taxpayers paid for it so in that case it didn't cost us Vics a cent ;). Apparently they said Packer didn't like pomp and ceremony nor wanted a memorial service so perhaps it wasn't done solely for him.

Kerry was a big personality in Sydney but not really a part of Melbourne. He was great for cricket and perhaps even its modern day saviour and he obviously understood the tv business better than anyone else. On the other hand I always found his betting in terms of the amounts he was alleged to bet such as $1 million a go :o sickening. It was also alleged in the late 80s that he paid only 4% in tax compared to the average person who was paying 30-35%. I'm not saying it wasn't all above board but I never felt sorry for poor old Kerry Packer when he had to face that parliamentry inquiry on how much tax he paid.

I personally think Ch 9 have gone a touch overboard with this and are showing they are a bit rattled since their owner and virtual spiritual leader died. It'll be interesting to see how his memorial service rated and whether the general public cared about Packer as much as the celebrities and the "social set" did/do.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 09:49:39 PM »
I thought it was funny watching Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes trying to join in and sing "C'mon Aussie".

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 09:52:23 PM »
I thought it was funny watching Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes trying to join in and sing "C'mon Aussie".

Why were they there exactly  :-\

And just my opinion but the whole thing was a waste of taxpayers money
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 10:09:18 PM »

I asked the same question and was told they are friends of the sun.  ??? I thought that was some extra wacky religious cult for Tommy that Kerry must have been in. Meant friends of the "son", as in James.  ;D  :whistle
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 10:10:23 PM »
It was a federal "state funeral" - Johnny Howard said he made the decision himself. It wasn't a NSW State Funeral.

The feds didn't pay for everything - not the booze or the food etc - probably cost 25 grand or thereabouts

Tom Cruise is a friend of James, and a scientologist  ;)

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 10:22:50 PM »
Her's what Johnny told me when I rang him about Kerry's state funeral

"MJS:

There’s been some criticism today of the state funeral for Kerry Packer, what’s your reaction to that?

PRIME MINISTER:

Well the reason that I decided, and it was my decision alone and I made the offer to the Packer family, was as a mark of respect for the enormous contribution he’s made to the country. I mean it obviously wasn’t to provide them, the family with financial assistance, clearly that wasn’t it. And the basic contribution, the basic cost that’s involved to the tax payer, in these things is not very high. But I think it is appropriate on occasions that people other than former Ministers of the Crown be honoured with state funerals. The Federal Government in the time I’ve been Prime Minister; we gave Nugget Coombs a state funeral, we gave Charlie Perkins a state funeral, I gave BA Santamaria a state funeral, we cooperated with the South Australian Government in giving Don Bradman a state funeral, and a number of State Government’s have given figures outside the normal ambit of people, state funerals. I think Kerry Packer, like him or not, and a lot of people like him and a lot of people didn’t, I think Kerry Packer was a remarkable business and media figure in this country, and if we are to have a broad view of the life of this country, we ought to honour business figures from time to time as well as sporting, political and military figures.

If it wasan't me it was Neil Mitchel asking the ql.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 08:32:48 AM »
Is the daughter's name "Gretel" or "Greedle" - no I'm not trying to be funny.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 12:22:07 PM »
Is the daughter's name "Gretel" or "Greedle" - no I'm not trying to be funny.

Gretel

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 12:37:34 PM »
And the basic contribution, the basic cost that’s involved to the tax payer, in these things is not very high.

The typical out of touch statement from politicians. I'm sure the Opera House and full orchestra was essential ::)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 01:05:09 PM »
And the basic contribution, the basic cost that’s involved to the tax payer, in these things is not very high.

No wonder the public's respect of pollies is so low ::)

Let me see if it cost say $175,000K then to someone who earns say between $35-40k the cost is VERY HIGH. I am sure they'd swap the 2 amounts in a instant -  DILL :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 01:15:16 PM »
In the meantime things such as the royal childrens hospital kitchen are unsafe for cooking  >:(

These pricks that dodge all the taxes and have more money than anyone needs need to be pulled up. Dare I say a new tax should be impossed on these people that go's directly to hospitals and schools etc .... :wallywink

NOTE - Didn't watch the funeral or read much about it at all, really couldn't give a flying  :shh

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 07:22:10 PM »

I asked the same question and was told they are friends of the sun.  ??? I thought that was some extra wacky religious cult for Tommy that Kerry must have been in. Meant friends of the "son", as in James.  ;D  :whistle

ROFLMAO@James And Tom being whackjob scientologists.

ROFLAMOO@Packer dying. Up there with the death of Sir Joh as a 'can't wait' event.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 09:53:27 PM »
I'd have gone to the Big Fella's funeral.....  if they'd buried the bastard alive.

that makes 2 of us!