Author Topic: It's on like Donkey Kong / Friday, Sept.8 QF: Richmond vs Geelong @ the 'G  (Read 26215 times)

Dougeytherichmondfan

Re: It's on like Donkey Kong / Friday, Sept.8 QF: Richmond vs Geelong @ the 'G
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2017, 12:32:16 AM »
Does anyone else have a feeling that we just might be going into this one underdone?

All I keep hearing from the club is that we're taking it easy; just taking it as any other game.

And from Geelong its all focus and readiness.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2017, 06:25:22 AM »
Always worried about playing after a bye. To win this game we really need a  huge game from the Nank and to win the contested possession. Given the expected weather conditions would be great if they could fit Miles into the team as well. Really hope that our supporters drown out the Geelong supporters to make it a very hostile environment for Geelong.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2017, 08:21:07 AM »
Does anyone else have a feeling that we just might be going into this one underdone?

All I keep hearing from the club is that we're taking it easy; just taking it as any other game.

We are getting heaps of media attention but I dont know how you can justify a comment like that .

Both teams have had 2 weeks off - it's a level playing field .

Richmond have not beaten geelong in 13 attemps and have not won a final under Hardwick.  Don't think anyone will be taking it easy behind closed doors .
Unleash the tornado

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2017, 08:26:53 AM »

I feel like the last final we played we were all about focus and readiness. I think you end up playing too tight.

We just can't afford to go away from what got us here. Fwd pressure, contested ball & taking the game on.   

The bye is awful, I was more confident this time last week. Nothing has changed & yet a little doubts creep in.

Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2017, 08:42:26 AM »
Is the team announced today ??
Unleash the tornado

tony_montana

« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2017, 08:44:50 AM »

I feel like the last final we played we were all about focus and readiness. I think you end up playing too tight.

We just can't afford to go away from what got us here. Fwd pressure, contested ball & taking the game on.   

The bye is awful, I was more confident this time last week. Nothing has changed & yet a little doubts creep in.

Spot on, if your too focused for too long in the leadup theres a very real possibility of being emotionally spent by the time gameday arrives - especially given the fact its been a 2 week build up.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2017, 10:52:36 AM »
I think Miles should play. We need an extra hard body on the inside, particularly if it's going to be soggy.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2017, 01:10:42 PM »
Weather set to play its part in first finals week

afl.com.au
7 September 2017

Geelong v Richmond, MCG, Friday, 7.50pm AEST

There is a very high chance of showers throughout the day, but skies are expected to clear just in time for this Friday night's blockbuster at the 'G. Despite rain clearing, conditions will still be wintry and overcast. It will also be quite cold, with the lowest temperature predicted to be 7C.

Who it might help: Richmond's small forward line. With just one ruckman, Toby Nankervis, and one primary tall forward target, Jack Riewoldt, the wet conditions are likely to benefit the Tigers' unconventional small forward setup of Daniel Rioli, Dan Butler, Jason Castagna and Jacob Townsend. If Geelong's backline has had one weakness over the past couple of years, it has been defending against small forwards.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-07/weather-set-to-play-its-part-in-first-finals-week

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2017, 01:16:46 PM »
I think Miles should play. We need an extra hard body on the inside, particularly if it's going to be soggy.

Miles comes in at the cost of pace...

Hard to argue though, form is electric. Has no stage fright when it comes to finals.

I'm excited to see what Rioli can produce on Friday. Kid was basically created for this situation. His step and agility is going to be enormous for us, breaking out of congestion in our fwd line. Same could be said of Edwards.
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2017, 01:25:17 PM »
Is the team announced today ??
Yes it will be, mat. Around 6:20pm.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2017, 01:31:50 PM »

Hard to argue though, form is electric. Has no stage fright when it comes to finals.

I'm excited to see what Rioli can produce on Friday. Kid was basically created for this situation. His step and agility is going to be enormous for us, breaking out of congestion in our fwd line. Same could be said of Edwards.

Bad enough already that we're likely dropping Markov for Slow Coach Caddy....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
No tag, but Tigers to put 'work' into Danger (afl site)
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2017, 07:00:25 PM »
No tag, but Tigers to put 'work' into Danger

afl.com.au
7 September 2017

RICHMOND will try to limit Patrick Dangerfield's effectiveness without running a hard tag on the Geelong superstar, with coach Damien Hardwick declaring an intriguing midfield battle was the key to victory in Friday night's qualifying final.

While the Tigers plot ways to shut down Dangerfield and returning Cats skipper Joel Selwood, Geelong will have its hands full quelling Brownlow Medal favourite Dustin Martin and Richmond captain Trent Cotchin.

Dangerfield won 21 of his 30 possessions in the contest when the Cats beat Richmond in round 21, also racking up 11 clearances and eight inside 50s in a brilliant performance.

Hardwick said the Tigers would have defensive midfield plans, but needed to decide whether they implemented them straight away on Friday night or kept them up their sleeve.

"Whether it's Dangerfield, Selwood or (Mitch) Duncan, one of those guys will cop … I wouldn't say a tag but we'll try and limit their effectiveness as best we can," the coach said. 

"A guy like Dangerfield, you can sit there and tag him and he can still have 25-30 possessions.

"So his effectiveness is probably the thing we monitor from that. He had a really good game last time.

"He had 21 contested balls, 17 pre-clearance, which is an enormous number. So we'll put some work into him, there's no doubt."

Hardwick said Cotchin and Selwood would cross paths in the midfield, while Dion Prestia shapes as a defensive option for the coach after strong run-with performances in the second half of the season.

Contested ball will be a key focus for the Tigers after they lowered their colours against the Cats in round 21, losing the key indicator 132-150.

"It's going to be a good midfield battle … I thought our guys were beaten in that area last time," he said. 

"(Cam) Guthrie played an enormous game for them. (Sam) Menagola is in outstanding form, so their depth has certainly improved in that part of their game.

"We have also improved in that part of our game as well. It's going to be won and lost in there, most games are. We're making sure our boys play a better game than they did last time."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-07/no-tag-but-tigers-to-put-work-into-danger

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Horror stats that Hardwick & Chris Scott will be trying to live down (H-Sun)
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2017, 10:41:53 PM »
Revealed the horror stats that Damien Hardwick and Chris Scott will be trying to live down on friday night

JON RALPH,
Herald Sun
8 September 2017

FINALS losses haunt your dreams.

After home-and-away losses there is usually a do-over seven days later but a finals loss can become a recurring nightmare.

Chris Scott and Damien Hardwick approach Friday night’s blockbuster hoping to exorcise finals demons.

For Hardwick the wait has been two seasons.

Alex Rance and the Tigers were wrecked by the Roos in their 2015 elimination final. Picture: Michael Klein

His side went into that elimination final against North Melbourne as a contested ball machine and came out obliterated by the Roos.

“I still remember that number — 33 — that number still haunts me,’’ he said months after that loss.

“We were ranked No. 2 in contested ball differential for the year and to have a number stick out like that at the end of the game was un-Richmond-like.”

Chris Scott’s number is similar, but for his club it was a statistical dominance that didn’t come close to transferring into a win.

In the 2016 preliminary final Geelong won the inside 50s 72-40 yet still had their pants pulled down by Sydney.

It is a stunning number that in every other game since 1999 — bar two — would have resulted in a win.

And yet Sydney smashed Geelong in close, kicked 7.2 to their five points in the first quarter, were 49 points up at half time and won by 37 points.

So Hardwick will test out a game plan he believes is built for September — frenetic tackling, quick ball movement, pressure and hunt the opposition.

Scott will see if a year tinkering with his forward line will be executed on the big stage.

Harry Taylor and Sam Menegola have gone forward, Tom Hawkins has roamed far and wide, Patrick Dangerfield has spent more time inside forward 50.

Instead of basking in his Brownlow Medal glow, Dangerfield even spent a summer learning to handball to running receivers rather than bludgeoning the ball forward.

Both clubs road test those changes knowing the winner has a foot in the Grand Final and the loser is likely to take on Sydney.

For Geelong, a straight-sets loser last year, and Richmond, having lost their past four finals, straight sets is a mighty ugly expression to consider.

Hardwick will know the Cats might attempt to shut down Trent Cotchin’s drive or limit the rebound of Brandon Ellis, as the Kangaroos did back in 2015.

After 16 possessions in the 2014 elimination final and nine in the 2015 version, Cotchin will come out breathing fire.

Do the Tigers try to free him up from a tag or let him work it out, do the Cats orchestrate Harry Taylor deep to get the Alex Rance match-up they loved in Round 21?

Can Richmond’s No. 1 ranked defence do what Sydney did last September and absorb the punishment then slingshot the ball into forward 50 again and again?

Footy asks so many questions of its players and coaches

How they answer them in September can be the different of a summer of deep slumber or more restless nights.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/revealed-the-horror-stats-that-damien-hardwick-and-chris-scott-will-be-trying-to-live-down-on-friday-night/news-story/7de07173d6125a43a4d7b7645adc8660

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2017, 05:38:34 AM »
Well the day has come. Massive day for the club. Don't shy away from it tigers, eat em alive !! :gotigers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Footy fans to pack MCG tonight amid tight security (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2017, 02:15:52 PM »
AFL footy fans to pack MCG for Richmond and Geelong clash amid tight security

Anna Prytz
Herald-Sun
September 8 2017

Footy fans will brave tight security, sodden weather and traffic snarls to be part of tonight's hotly-anticipated clash between Richmond and Geelong at the MCG.

More than 95,000 people, expected to be the biggest crowd of the year, will pack the iconic stadium for the AFL finals qualifying showdown.

Security will be tight as always with every attendee being scanned and all bags checked. Given the size of the crowd, fans should expect entry into the stadium to take some time.

MCC general manager Gerard Griffin said he was unapologetic about the stringent security measures and putting fan safety first.

"Across the 2017 AFL season these checks have successfully picked up countless items – including knives, box cutters and even a set of knuckledusters," he said.

What fans should definitely bring are warm clothes. There's possible hail forecast for this afternoon as well as possible showers tonight. The temperature won't climb above 14 degrees.

Gates open to the public at 5.30pm and people are urged to arrive no later than 6.30pm. The match kicks off at 7.50pm.

Anyone thinking of driving should probably think again. Parking will be heavily reduced in Yarra Park due to wet conditions.

The best public transport options to get to the MCG are the number 75, 48 and 70 trams and trains to Jolimont and Richmond stations.

Excitement (and nervousness) surrounding the all-Victorian stoush is already reaching fever pitch with fans taking to social media to cheer on their teams.

The long-suffering Tigers faithful, who have been waiting for a finals win since 2001, will gather at their Punt Road oval at 7pm to march to the MCG together.

One Richmond supporter who will not be attending is midfielder Dustin Martin's father Shane who had his visa cancelled by Immigration Minister Peter Dutton this week.

The game has been sold out for over a week but tickets are still available on the Ticketmaster Resale website for as much as $319. Ticket scalping has been an ongoing issue this season and fans are pushing for state government intervention.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/afl-footy-fans-to-pack-mcg-for-richmond-and-geelong-clash-amid-tight-security-20170907-gyd81n.html