Author Topic: Dustin Martin’s dad shut out of Australia by new law (Herald-Sun)  (Read 7513 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin’s dad shut out of Australia by new law

Stephen Drill, David Hurley and Anthony Dowsley,
Herald Sun
September 6, 2017 7:50pm

A NEW law has been created that will keep Tigers star Dustin Martin’s father out of Australia.

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton rushed through an amendment to the Migration Act to stop Shane Martin, and up to 20 others whose visas have been cancelled, from re-entering the country.

They had been kicked out based on secret information from police and intelligence services.

The High Court found on Wednesday Mr Dutton had been wrong to kick out two men accused of being Rebels bikies, AJ Graham and Mehaka Lee Te Puia.

Martin’s family had believed the decision would allow Shane Martin to return to Australia as early as next week.

Mr Dutton’s office said: “Shane Martin’s visa was cancelled for the safety of the Australian community because of his criminal record and association with outlaw motorcycle gangs.”

“He (Shane Martin) should have thought about the consequences of his actions on his family and the victims of crimes at the time of his offending. This amendment ensures that people who are outlaw motorcycle gang members, organised criminals and threats to national security cannot stay in Australia.”

Shane Martin has previously denied being involved in criminal activity.

He had been hoping to get back to Australia to watch his son attend this month’s Brownlow Medal, for which Dustin is red hot favourite.

But Dustin Martin’s uncle, Dean Martin, vowed to fight on: “We would understand if my brother was a bad person, but he’s a lovely person.”

“It’s pretty hard when you see my nephew (Bronson) and my kids crying for their dad and their uncle.

“My kids saw him on The Footy Show and they texted him and they said, ‘We love you, Uncle Shane, we’re going to bring you home’.”

He said that Shane’s absence had been tough on the family.

“It’s very hard on my nephews. We’ve got my nephew Dustin, but everyone forgets my other young nephew Bronson served in Afghanistan for this country,” he said.

“I’d understand if my brother was such a bad criminal. I just can’t believe this has happened to our family.”

Mr Martin said his children felt their uncle’s situation compared to the stolen generation’s: “My kids are Aboriginal. Their grandmother’s brothers were taken away.”

The laws, passed on Monday in anticipation of the High Court decision, mean any other decisions on visa cancellations by Mr Dutton under Section 503A of the Migration Act will stand.

It was signed off by the Governor-general Peter Cosgrove on Tuesday, less than 24 hours before the High Court ruling.

Graham and Te Puia had challenged the decision on their visas because it was based on secret information provided to the Minister that was not disclosed to them.

The High Court ruled 6-1 in their favour and ordered the government pay their legal costs.

The decision had the potential to open the floodgates to challenges from up to 20 people who had been deported using secret information since migration rules were tightened in 2014.

Some had been deported based on advice from the Australian Federal Police, the Australian Criminal Intelligence Agency and the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation, provided to the minister on the basis it not be passed on to anyone in court proceedings.

Graham, whose visa was revoked on character grounds, was packed and ready to leave Sydney’s Villawood detention centre to fly to meet his partner, Kylie, and daughter, when the government acted.

Graham’s lawyer, Anthony Malkoun, said he had not known of such a decision effectively overruling the High Court.

“He will not be released,’’ he said.

“He was waiting to be collected to go to the airport from Villawood and about the time we have received information he has been re-cancelled.

“He will be remaining in there until we can work out what we can do.’’

Shane Martin made an emotional appearance on The Footy Show last week following Dustin’s $8m signing at Richmond for the next seven years.

“Love you son and I’m very proud, from my heart,” he said.

“To be just taken away for no reason and breaking up the family. I think it’s pretty stupid.”

Dustin Martin has spoken of the impact of his dad’s absence on his footy.

He once told Channel 9: “He’s not what he might look like.

“To have that taken away — you see all the other guys with their parents in the rooms after games — I don’t even have my Dad there. It’s pretty sad.

“If he was a criminal, I’d cop it. But they have just taken him away for association,” Dustin said.

“It’s fair enough if he’s done something … to be just taken away for no reason and breaking up the family. I think it’s pretty stupid.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/dustin-martins-dad-shut-out-of-australia-by-new-law/news-story/4c88d04c1365a706ab99d74c6b631ad6

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin’s dad shut out of Australia by new law (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 10:37:14 PM »
I don't understand what secret information actually means. It cannot be challenged and may be completely bogus.

Are we starting to run a Donald Trump type government? :whistle
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 11:06:42 PM »
he is either a former crim or he isnt? Isnt it black or white?

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 11:10:17 PM »
So what about Australians who are bikie members?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 11:14:22 PM »
Where would they be deported too?
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 12:09:35 AM »
But the minister has no issue with his political party colleagues in Victoria associating and sharing lobster meals with an alleged mobster to raise party funds :whistle.

Perhaps, he's afraid he might have to deport poor old Barnaby back to NZ  :snidegrin.

I don't understand what secret information actually means. It cannot be challenged and may be completely bogus.

Are we starting to run a Donald Trump type government? :whistle
So much for separation of powers.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 12:45:48 AM »
he is either a former crim or he isnt? Isnt it black or white?

No, it's all sorts of grey.

He is not a former criminal. He has not been convicted of any crime (aside I think from motor offences).
He was an office bearer for a motorcycle club, The Rebels Motorcycle Club.
Laws were introduced in NSW and Queensland criminalising any association with people convicted of criminal offences in relation to "outlaw motorcycle gangs".
Thus if you were a member of an "outlaw motorcycle gang" you were guilty of associating with any other member who had committed drug offences.

It was always on the books that a person convicted of a crime that carried a sentence of at least one year could be deported. This was rarely used in the past.
Dutton has extended his discretion to deport any person who he thinks is of "bad character" and has used the intelligence files of state police into motorcycle clubs.

The most recent riots that occurred in the Christmas Island Detention Centre were caused by these very people that Dutton rounded up for deportation - former members of motorcycle gangs - who were very peeed off they had been arrested after living in Australia for years or even decades and faced deportation due to "association".

I wouldn't be holding out hope for Shane Martin. As shown by this, Dutton will do anything, even change the law and tell total lies (Save the Children) to win.

PS Today a $70 million payout to refugees wrongly imprisoned on Manus and Nauru was approved by the Victorian Supreme Court. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-06/manus-island-detainees-settlement-with-commonwealth/8876934
Typically Dutton has said that he did not fight the case because it would have been too expensive to fight but they were not in the wrong.
This is the background to Dutton's claim that lawyers acting for refugees are 'unAustralian".
Interesting that if you believe him then he acknowledges he is telling a lie (admitting liability) to save money.
What was that line from that old story -"we've already established what you are, now we're just haggling over the price." 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 01:01:47 AM by RedanTiger »

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 08:30:44 AM »
Footy show made a mountain out of this molehill. 
Unleash the tornado

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 10:52:17 AM »

More reason not to vote for the Libs.

:thumbsdown

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 11:03:11 AM »

We really do need a credible third party in this country. One that is not right of the Libs and not left of Labour.

A party that rewards those who work hard and at the same time looks after the disadvantaged. One that makes sure EVERYBODY pays there fair share of taxes.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline sabartooth

• Big Griff's Official Mentor !
  • Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 11:20:23 AM »

Can we deport labor voters to NZ  :pray
2 years into a 35 year plan

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 11:37:39 AM »

Can we deport labor voters to NZ  :pray

The average IQ of NZ is already low enough without dragging it lower

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Shane Martin - Richmond star Martin good to go: Hardwick (Nine WWOS)
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 01:19:17 PM »
Richmond star Martin good to go: Hardwick

Nine Wide World of Sports
By AAP
7 September 2017

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick is confident that superstar Dustin Martin won't be distracted by the enforced absence of his father for Friday night's AFL qualifying final against Geelong.

Shane Martin, who has links to the Rebels motorcycle club, was deported to New Zealand last year.

He had hoped to be allowed to re-enter Australia only for Immigration Minister Peter Dutton to make a change to the Migration Act on Wednesday which prevented that from happening.

Despite the ongoing saga with his father and drawn-out contract negotiations which were only resolved last week when he signed a huge seven-year deal, the 26-year-old Martin has played career-best football in 2017.

He is the odds-on favourite to win the Brownlow Medal and is expected to play a key role for the Tigers against the Cats at the MCG.

"He's a resilient lad," Hardwick said on Thursday.

"He's disappointed obviously from a human element, I think we all are, we'd all love our father to see us playing in a final.

"But Dusty has dealt with this for a long period of time, so he understands.

"He'll put his best foot forward and play some good footy for us on Friday night.

"... with the contract status he's gone through all year and we've seen how he's handled that, once he crosses that white line he understands what's there to be done.

"We're looking forward to a big performance from him."

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/09/07/12/16/richmond-star-martin-good-to-go-hardwick

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 01:22:33 PM »

Can we deport labor, liberal & green voters to NZ  :pray

fixed.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 01:54:27 PM »
Selwood completes his miracle recovery to make it back in time for tomorrow night.

Dusty gets the news his Dad won't be coming back anytime soon on the eve of his biggest match.

God, the universe loves us....