Author Topic: Dustin Martin’s dad shut out of Australia by new law (Herald-Sun)  (Read 7526 times)

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin’s dad shut out of Australia by new law (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 02:43:30 PM »

More reason not to vote for the Libs.

:thumbsdown

Can we deport labor, liberal & green voters to NZ  :pray

fixed.
Lol.
Can NZ fit that many people?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Dustin Martin’s dad shut out of Australia by new law (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 03:37:16 PM »
I'm sure they have enough volcanic craters to accomodate them all...... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Intelligence suggests Martin’s dad still involved with Rebels: Dutton (Nine)
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 10:49:41 PM »
Intelligence suggests Dustin Martin’s dad still involved with Rebels, Dutton says

By A Current Affair
7:56pm Sep 7, 2017

AFL star Dustin Martin's father Shane was banned from re-entering Australia because police intelligence suggested he was still involved with outlaw motorcycle gang the Rebels, Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has revealed.

"Well I receive all the information in relation to individual cases, both that which is publicly available and that which the police and ASIO and the Australian Crime Commission and others provide to me on a confidential basis, and I make decisions based on all of that information," Mr Dutton told A Current Affair.

Previously, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull had said Mr Martin's visa had been cancelled because of his criminal record and association with outlaw motorcycle gangs.

His record stretches back to 1990, not long after he arrived from New Zealand.

He has been charged with unlawful assault, burglary, armed with intent, criminal damage and resisting police.

He has also been fined for possessing a restricted substance on four occasions, and in 2004 received a two-month jail sentense, suspended for 12 months, for aiding and abetting in the trafficking of ecstasy.

Mr Martin has denied being involved in any criminal activity.

The High Court yesterday found Mr Dutton had been wrong to kick out two men accused of being Rebels bikies – AJ Graham and Mehaka Lee Te Puia.

The court ruled 6-1 in the men's favour and the government was ordered to pay their legal costs.

The The Footy Show revealed details of the latest setback for the Martin family, with Eddie McGuire saying that the High Court had ruled by a majority of 6-1 that "the decisions of the Immigration Minister Peter Dutton were invalid".

"Dutton had acted on a wrong interpretation of Section 503a Section 2 of the migration act," McGuire said.

"This operated to shield the minister's exercise of his power from judicial scrutiny.

"Tonight at 8:09pm, Minister Dutton rang The Footy Show to say the following, that he's rushed through special federal legislation with royal assent and said that: 'Shane Martin will not be coming back.'"

Mr Martin had previously said he left the Rebels when he married school teacher Adrianna.

He had been set to board a plane to Australia to watch his son play in tomorrow night's AFL preliminary final.

"(Mr Dutton) comes in and overturns it, what's the point of a judge and jury," he said.

Richmond Tigers star Dustin said it was "ridiculous" to think his father could be a threat to Australia.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/09/07/19/56/intelligence-suggests-dustin-martins-dad-still-involved-with-rebels-dutton-says

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dusty and his dad on Ch 7's Sunday Night
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 07:06:06 PM »
On now.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:20:23 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dusty and his dad on Ch 7's Sunday Night now
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 11:15:10 PM »
Dustin Martin would swap ‘all the medals’ for dad Shane Martin’s return to Australia

Lauren Wood
News Corp
23 October 2017

DUSTIN Martin says he would swap “all the medals” he has won over the last six weeks to have his father Shane be allowed back into Australia.

Shane Martin was deported to New Zealand some 18 months ago for his links to the Rebels motorcycle club, and watched from Auckland as his 26-year-old son won the Brownlow Medal, the Norm Smith Medal and the AFL premiership with Richmond.

But the Tigers superstar says he would trade it all in a second.

“I’d probably swap most things that I’ve got at home to get him back there,” Dustin Martin said.

“All the medals, for sure. Yeah, you can’t ... you can’t put an item or anything on family, you know?

“It’s what you live for. That’s your life — family. To share things with your family. You know, I’d do anything.”

Martin was the first-ever player to win a Brownlow and a premiership medallion in the same week, with his father expressing his pride from across the ditch.

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton rushed through an amendment to the Migration Act to stop Shane Martin, and up to 20 others whose visas have been cancelled, from re-entering the country last month.

Martin Sr maintained that he has not done anything “to warrant deportation”.

“I sit there by myself most days and just think, “What have I done?” You know?,” Shane Martin said on Channel 7 on Sunday Night.

But Dutton backed the recent decision to strengthen laws to stop Martin from ever re-entering Australia.

“I believe that because of his criminal history, his criminal involvement, and because of his involvement in the outlaw motorcycle gang that that is reason under the law for his visa to be cancelled,” Dutton said.

He said he had “made a decision that I’m not going to change”.

“Not in relation to Mr Martin. I’ve been very deliberate in seeking all the information I possibly can about that case. based on all of the facts, and I believe it’s the right decision,” he said on Sunday Night.

Dutton also said that he has engaged in secret intelligence briefing including information on Martin he says “is not publicly available, (provided) by the intelligence agencies on particular individuals”.

“We’ve now cancelled over 3000 visas offences against Australians, made our country a safer place,” he said.

Martin Sr said he “is gonna win” against the ban, while his Richmond midfielder son described the last 18 months as “the hardest thing that I’ve had to go through”.

“It’s torn our family apart,” he said.

“I’ve got nothing to say about him (Dutton) really. It’s not worth wasting my breath.”

Martin said that “helplessness” was the overriding emotion.

“It’s just an empty feeling,” he said on Channel 7.

“Everyone wants their parents to be in their lives … it’s extremely hard.

“He’s always been my No. 1 support. I certainly miss him a lot now.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/dustin-martin-would-swap-all-the-medals-for-dad-shane-martins-return/news-story/60c2fd1ac5eb4e9ff7dc4a8a96a91c90

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dusty and his dad on Ch 7's Sunday Night now
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 11:19:50 PM »
Link to VIDEO replay of Dusty's interview: https://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/sunday-night/a/37568577/dustin-martins-desperate-bid-to-bring-deported-dad-home/

Dustin Martin's desperate bid to bring deported dad home

Yahoo7
Sunday Night
22 October 9:00pm

Dustin Martin is now one of the AFL greats. He led his Richmond Tigers to an historic victory in this year’s grand final, and went on to win the sport’s prestigious Brownlow Medal.

But Dustin would gladly give it all away to have his dad back home in Australia.

“It’s easily the hardest thing that I’ve had to go through,” Dustin told reporter Alex Cullen in an interview for Sunday Night.

“It’s just helplessness. It’s just an empty feeling, you know. Everyone wants their parents to be in their lives for whatever it is, so it’s extremely hard.”

Dustin’s father, Shane Martin, was deported to New Zealand 18 months ago in a law and order crackdown designed to rid the country of foreign-born criminals – including bikies.

Booted Out - Part 2

VIDEO His son is one of the nation's footy greats. But our government says Dustin Martin's dad is a danger to our society. Shane Martin has never been jailed for any crime, but they deported him anyway. Yet a convicted killer has been allowed to stay. Why?

Booted Out - Part 2

VIDEO His son is one of the nation's footy greats. But our government says Dustin Martin's dad is a danger to our society. Shane Martin has never been jailed for any crime, but they deported him anyway. Yet a convicted killer has been allowed to stay. Why?

Shane has convictions for aggravated assault and drug trafficking, which are more than a decade old, but his biggest crime in the eyes of Australian authorities was his connection to the Rebels motorcycle gang.

Shane had never been jailed, but in March last year he was locked up and deported under the orders of Immigration Minister Peter Dutton.

“I just don’t get it to be honest,” Shane said. “I sit there by myself most days and just think, ‘what have I done?’”

Even more frustrating for the Martin family is news that a British-born convicted killer has been allowed to stay in Australia.

When she was still a teenager, mother-of-five Kelly Webb stabbed her step-father to death and was convicted of manslaughter. Since then, Kelly has been jailed on 16 different occasions in the past 14 years.

British-born Kelly Webb stabbed her stepfather to death, but she has been allowed to stay in the country.

But Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said each case has individual circumstances that need to be taken into consideration.

“In relation to this particular case there are five children who are born here in Australia, that are Australian citizens and quite young, as young as 16 or 17 months,” Mr Dutton said.

While the minister has allowed Kelly to stay in the country with her children, Mr Dutton insisted he would not reconsider Shane Martin’s case.

“I have made a decision which I am not going to change,” he said. “I believe it is the right decision.”

It’s a decision that has torn the Martin family apart.

“That’s what life’s all about, being with your family. Having them there for birthdays or just seeing them, catching up with them every day. You know, one day I’ll have kids and like to have him there,” Dustin said.

Even though Mr Dutton is certain he won’t change his mind, Dustin and his family haven’t given up hope.

They have hired a legal team and hope to take their case all the way to the High Court.

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/sunday-night/a/37568577/dustin-martins-desperate-bid-to-bring-deported-dad-home/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin's father could be back in Australia for Christmas (Daily Mail)
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 04:12:54 AM »
Dustin Martin's father could be back in Australia for Christmas as he prepares to appeal deportation on 'character grounds'

Father of Dustin Martin could be reunited with his son in Australia by Christmas
Shane Martin was exiled to New Zealand because of alleged links to bikie group
His lawyers will appear in Federal Court Tuesday to have his case thrown out

By Sam McPhee
Daily Mail Australia
5 December 2017

The father of AFL superstar Dustin Martin could be reunited with his son in Australia by Christmas as he prepares to appeal his deportation.

Shane Martin was exiled to his native New Zealand in March under section 501 of the Immigration Act on 'character grounds' because of alleged links to the infamous Rebels bikie club.

The father of the reigning Brownlow medalist will have his case heard in Federal Court in Sydney on Tuesday, with the Herald Sun reporting the government may throw out the case and allow Shane to return.

'We will have to wait for the court outcome,' Immigration Minister Peter Dutton's office said.

The Martin father-son relationship has been well documented, particularly during Dustin's rapid rise to becoming the face of the AFL.

The Richmond star emotionally thanked his father after winning the Brownlow in the days prior to the grand final, who was watching on with his wife Adriana and stepdaughters Emma, 17, and Alana, 15, in Auckland.

'To dad, I know it is tough for you not being here this week, but I know how much you love me and I love you very much,' he said.

His father's battle with the Australian federal government has provided the undertone to the Tigers midfielder's success, and Shane had been attempting to reunite with his son in Melbourne to attend the September grand final.

Rebels bikie AJ Graham won a case with Dutton's Immigration Department in September, which emboldened the Martins after the High Court found the minister unfairly used his powers to deport.

However, a day earlier, Dutton rushed through a law that would validate his previous rulings, meaning Shane's deportation for alleged 'association with outlaw motorcycle gangs' would be upheld. The family and their lawyers have been fighting the decision since.

Shane spoke to the AFL Footy Show following Dustin signing a record seven-year extension with Richmond worth more than $8 million, touching on how difficult it was to be apart from his son.

'It's pretty emotional … To see your son developing into something special you know,' he said through tears.

'He is a very humble, shy kid, but the Richmond Football Club has been magnificent for him.

Should Shane be successful in Federal Court on Tuesday, he could be home in time for Christmas, barring any further action from Dutton and the government.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5143999/Dustin-Martins-father-Australia-Christmas.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The father of AFL and Richmond superstar Dustin Martin could be one step closer to returning to Australia after Immigration Minister Peter Dutton conceded a legal error was made in the decision to deport him.

The case of Shane Martin, who was deported to New Zealand last year because of his links to the Rebels motorcycle club, was mentioned in the Federal Court in Sydney on Tuesday.

Justice John Griffiths was told Mr Dutton had agreed the decision should be quashed.

"You are not going to do much better than that," he quipped to Mr Martin's barrister James Forsaith when he stood up to make a submission.

But there is still the issue of Mr Martin's visa.

Fairfax Media understands Tuesday's court decision does not necessarily mean Mr Martin will be reinstated with a visa to return to Australia – an outcome government lawyers would fiercely oppose.

The judge adjourned the case to December 19 to determine whether Mr Martin will get his visa back.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/immigration-minister-peter-dutton-concedes-legal-error-in-deporting-shane-martin-20171204-gzys67

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
According to Ch7 news, Dutton has refused the visa so Dusty's dad won't be coming back to Australia.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
So another Brownlow.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Former biker gang member's hearing on eligibility for return to Australia where AFL star son lives, postponed

Kimberlee Downs 
Australia Correspondent
TV NZ
20 December 2017

The hearing to determine whether the New Zealand father of an AFL star will be allowed back into Australia has been postponed until the new year.

Shane Martin's case was set to be heard at the Federal Court in Sydney today, but has been delayed until February 13.

Mr Martin had lived in Australia since he was 20, but was deported last year because he was a member of the Rebels motorcycle club.

His son is Melbourne-based Richmond Tigers star and Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin.

Earlier this month Mr Martin won his court case, when lawyers for Immigration Minister Peter Dutton conceded a legal error had been made in his deportation.

However Mr Dutton has since indicated he will not reinstate Mr Martin's visa.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/former-biker-gang-members-hearing-eligibility-return-australia-afl-star-son-lives-postponed

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
DUSTIN Martin’s father, Shane, was stopped from celebrating Christmas with his family in Bali because of alleged Australian Government interference.

Indonesian customs officers at Bali’s Denpasar airport this month told Shane Martin he could not come through because Australia had requested he be refused entry.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/shane-martins-bali-christmas-cancelled-after-alleged-australian-government-tip-off/news-story/114a41249e63e5a201710e78b4161a16

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
If that’s true then it has become quite personal and has gone too far.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger 'shattered' after Bali Christmas wish dashed

afl.com.au
24 December 2017

RICHMOND star Dustin Martin is reportedly "shattered" plans for a family Christmas in Bali have been dashed after his father was denied entry.

Martin told the Sunday Herald Sun his father Shane Martin arrived at Bali's airport and was told he could not come through because Australian officials requested he be denied entry.

Shane Martin was deported to New Zealand last year over his links to the Rebels motorcycle club, missing his son's Grand Final win as the Tigers claimed their first flag since 1980.

He challenged that decision in the Federal Court, but he still doesn't have a visa to re-enter Australia despite Immigration Minister Peter Dutton conceding the decision to kick him out of the country should be overturned.

"I was so confused, I've been to Bali before, even after my visa was cancelled and had no problems," Shane told the Sunday Herald Sun.

He said the officials told him: "I'm sorry - we've been told by Australian government not to let you in."

Dustin Martin said he couldn't understand why his father was denied entry.

"We had Christmas in Bali planned for a while - way before the minister's decision was overturned - and it was gonna be really special for my family to be all together," he told the newspaper.

"I was just shattered and really confused. Why would they stop him from going to Bali now? We were there a year ago and nothing changed apart from dad winning his case.

"I'm a really proud Australian and I love this country but this just isn't a fair go."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-24/tiger-shattered-as-bali-christmas-wish-is-dashed