Author Topic: Dustin Martin’s dad shut out of Australia by new law (Herald-Sun)  (Read 7514 times)

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
"....Dustin Martin's father could be back in Australia for Christmas as he prepares to appeal deportation on 'character grounds'..."
Christmas 2030

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin’s dad shut out of Australia by new law (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2018, 09:16:22 PM »
AFL star Dustin Martin's Kiwi father wins deportation case

stuff.co.nz
14 Feb 2018

The Kiwi father of Aussie Rules star Dustin Martin is not holding out hope for a return to Australia, despite successfully winning his court case against Australia's immigration minister, Peter Dutton.

Shane Martin, who has lived across the ditch since he was 21, was deported back to New Zealand under Australia's Immigration Act after being deemed not to be of good character, and because of his links to the Rebels motorcycle gang.

The deportation prevented him from watching on live at the stadium as his son won the 2017 AFL grand final with the Richmond Tigers. It was the club's first title since 1980.

On Tuesday, Dutton's layers conceded that they had made an error in the case in Federal Court, which allowed Martin to overturn his ban. However, it remains unlikely that he will be able to return to Australia to see his family.

"I've won my case but I still can't come home to Australia to be with my family," Martin told the Herald Sun.

"Based on what the minister has said publicly I'm still not going to get a fair go."

In December, Dutton stated that Martin's application to return to Australia would be rejected.

"Nobody is bleating about the other 150 or so bikies that we've cancelled the visas of," Dutton said.

"People have got an interest in Mr Martin because he's got an incredibly talented son. I don't believe he is of good character."

Dutton said he based the decision to deport Martin on information that is not publicly available.

"I have information that is provided by the intelligence agencies and by law I am prohibited from giving you the detail," he said.

"I've made a decision which I am not going to change. I made a decision based on all the facts and I believe it is the right decision."

Martin has a criminal record. In Australia, he received a two-month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, in 2004 for aiding and abetting in ecstasy trafficking and was fined for drug possession. ​In New Zealand, offences have included unlawful assault, burglary, armed with intent and drug offences - a record dating back to 1990.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/101423414/afl-star-dustin-martins-kiwi-father-wins-deportation-case

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2018, 03:08:43 PM »
Richmond Tigers' star Dustin Martin's dad's visa decision quashed by Federal Court.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-04/federal-court-quashes-decision-to-cancel-dustin-martin-dad-visa/9938394

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2018, 08:51:41 AM »
Dustin Martin’s father Shane will open up in a new book about his deportation from Australia, his childhood and his links with the Rebels motorcycle club.

The book, due to be released in April, will hit shelves at the start of the football season.

The working tile is Shane ‘Kiwi’ Martin: Dusty’s Dad.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/dustin-martins-father-shane-pens-tellall-book/news-story/e3e0bd94f238dd6c01e3a0e8610c8c08

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2018, 10:25:32 PM »

Gotta milk it if you can

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2018, 01:36:37 AM »
Dustin Martin’s father Shane will open up in a new book about his deportation from Australia, his childhood and his links with the Rebels motorcycle club.

The book, due to be released in April, will hit shelves at the start of the football season.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/dustin-martins-father-shane-pens-tellall-book/news-story/e3e0bd94f238dd6c01e3a0e8610c8c08

I had a little bit of sympathy for him until now.
Next he’ll appear on “I’m a celebrity’s dad. Get me in here”

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2020, 06:52:55 PM »
Dustin Martin's dad has been booted back to New Zealand after a bold attempt to enter Australia last night. The former bikie tried to enter the country on the back of a High Court decision that prevents people of Indigenous heritage from being deported. @alexhart7 #7NEWS

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1229303111728037888

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2020, 12:28:39 PM »
So we deport a man because of his criminal associations in Australia instead of severing those criminal associations in New Zealand and putting a genuine submission for a visa he tries to use a loophole in our laws to get back in.

If he wasn't Dusty's father we would give this a second thought.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2020, 01:27:48 PM »
So we deport a man because of his criminal associations in Australia instead of severing those criminal associations in New Zealand and putting a genuine submission for a visa he tries to use a loophole in our laws to get back in.

If he wasn't Dusty's father we would give this a second thought.

Seemingly unlike you, I have been interested in this particular part of Australian visa laws since at least the 1970's.
It has always been the law in Australia that you cannot get a visa if you have criminal convictions and served over 12 months in jail.
I have noticed this was never really enforced in regard to Australian residents, only incoming travel (as you can see commonly on the "Border Force" programs).
My interest was raised by many past instances of people convicted of very serious offences such as murder and assaults and no deportation occurred.

Since Dutton came to power this law has become more harshly enforced and expanded to include the "character" grounds where "secret police files" were used as justification for deportion.

I agree that most people wouldn't give this a second thought if it wasn't Dusty's father but IMO that is the very reason why it was done and why it is regularly publicised.
Dutton chose Shane Martin as a target for political and publicity reasons and continues to hold his stance despite courts over-ruling him.