Author Topic: Tigers to Wear Clash Strip in GF [merged]  (Read 12746 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers to Wear Clash Strip in GF [merged]
« on: September 14, 2017, 04:10:41 AM »
Kevin Bartlett on Richmond clash jumper in the grand final

EDITOR ON DUTY:
Herald-Sun
September 14, 2017

RICHMOND in “canary” yellow?

Tigers great Kevin Bartlett won’t have it — should his beloved Tigers reach the AFL grand final and meet Adelaide.

The veteran broadcaster’s lashing of any suggestion was among the big stories on Wednesday as Geelong, GWS and Sydney all addressed the media ahead of the weekend’s semi finals.

LET’S not jump the gun just yet, but Richmond great Kevin Bartlett believes a major jumper clash furore could loom if the Tigers are to meet Adelaide in the Grand Final.

If the Tigers and Crows win their respective preliminary final bouts next weekend, they could meet in the final game of the season with one side potentially asked to wear its clash strip.

Richmond has met Adelaide once this season — in Round 6 — and wore its alternate canary yellow strip.

Having finished atop the ladder, the Crows would have the choice of what jumper they wanted to wear should the issue blow up in Grand Final week.

But Bartlett is adamant that Richmond should stand firm.

“When a side gets to a Grand Final they should be (in) — and always should wear — their traditional jumper,” he declared on SEN.

“Always wear their traditional jumper.

“Hopefully the Tigers won’t fall for anything from the AFL.

“If the AFL says ‘you’ve got to wear the canary jumper’ — you tell them to get stuffed.”

“That is ridiculous, that will not happen. Richmond cannot play in a Grand Final looking like budgerigars or canaries.

“If they want to charge us $50,000, who gives a stuff?”

The league said it would not be considering the potential match-up until closer to the match.

It would not be the first time that Richmond has found itself amid a finals jumper storm, having worn its home strip against Port Adelaide in the 2014 elimination final.

The Power wore their black and white strip, while Fremantle wore an alternative strip when it played Hawthorn in the 2013 Grand Final.

St Kilda wore its clash guernsey in both 2010 Grand Finals against Collingwood, which Bartlett maintained never should have occurred.

“St Kilda let themselves down badly in those Grand Finals … (and) should never have agreed to play in those Grand Finals with their (clash) jumper,” he said.

“You’ve got to say no.

“How many people get confused with the away jumpers in the game? Half the time you don’t need an away jumper. It is absolute rubbish.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-daily-live-rolling-footy-news-from-around-australia-september-13-2017/news-story/ec80ae3fb9686d1cf8e715090922e792

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Re: KB says NO to Richmond wearing its clash jumper in the Grand Final (H-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 11:03:17 AM »
I'm with KB, why should we have to wear high vis vests ffs
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 01:37:57 PM »
I wont ask my usual question because I bet the little stuffer hasnt

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 01:52:46 PM »
For mine, I agree however Adelaide is probably the only team in the comp in which a genuine jumper clash exists.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 02:26:32 PM »
Our Opposition next week is GWS/West Coast, so wgaf for now its not relevant.
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 02:42:49 PM »
Yeah - I'm not totally blameless, but all this jumping straight to the GF is wearing on me.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 05:05:48 PM »
Craig Bellamy laughs off Richmond clash strip talk

Roy Ward
Sydney Morning Herald
September 14 2017 - 4:50PM

Craig Bellamy respects history as much as anyone but when it comes to grand finals, he says he would play in any colour.

Fairfax Media reported on Wednesday that the AFL is poised to consider whether Richmond will have to wear their yellow clash jumper should they make the grand final and face the Adelaide Crows.

Bellamy has won grand finals in lime green Canberra jerseys as a player and the Storm's navy and purple as a coach but he said the jumper colour meant little compared with playing for a premiership.

"They can throw us in orange jumpers if they like, if we are playing a grand final who cares?" Bellamy said on Thursday.

"We are a club just 20 years old, the Tigers would be over 100 years old, I would imagine, so older guys would have come through the club, played for the club and they wouldn't have been in a grand final for a while so I can understand they want to play in their traditional colours, all clubs would.

"But if they said if you want to play in a grand final you have to play in these colours, if you don't play in them colours you ain't in a grand final then I think I know what choice they would make. But that is up to the AFL."

Bellamy said he had given next to no thought on what colour the Storm will wear when they play either Brisbane Broncos or Penrith Panthers in a preliminary final at AAMI Park on Friday week.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/craig-bellamy-laughs-off-richmond-clash-strip-talk-20170914-gyhlj4.html

dwaino

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 06:41:02 PM »
I wouldn't care if we had to play in gimp suits.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 06:47:14 PM »

Think BEllis has a few spare

dwaino

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 06:57:28 PM »

Think BEllis has a few spare

I think he finally took the gag out last week.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 09:24:02 PM »
Why can't we just wear white shorts?

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 09:32:07 PM »
Torch is on the money
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
GF jumper clash between Richmond, Adelaide could be sorted by a coin toss (Age)
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 01:03:18 PM »
AFL grand final jumper clash between Richmond, Adelaide could be sorted by a coin toss

The Age
20 September 2017

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan believes a coin toss "is plausible" to decide on a potential AFL grand final jumper clash between Richmond and Adelaide.

Both this year and in 2015, Richmond wore their predominantly yellow clash jumper featuring a black sash – the inverse of their famous home jumper in away games against the Crows, whose home jumper contains navy, red and yellow horizontal stripes.

In 2016, Adelaide wore their mainly white clash jumper in a match against the Tigers at Etihad Stadium. Not since 2014 have the clubs played a game in which both sides have worn their first-choice jumpers.

"The grand final, you can't have a jumper clash. If the players are in their traditional strips, six million watching [on TV] at the peak, 100,000 there [at the ground], [broadcast] around the world, you can't have people confused about who they are," McLachlan said on Fox Footy.

"Who plays in what jumper and if it happens, we're working on it.

"I don't think there's a home team [for the grand final]. The highest-ranking team gets the advantage of a longer break because you've got to make a decision on that, but in the end it's not a home final.

"I think it needs to be fair, now whether that's a toss of the coin or and arm-wrestle or something, I think that's our view that if it gets to that situation to make a decision you do it in a way it's not use telling one or the other. Everyone understands that there has to be a decision make and we'll work out a fair way to do it."

First though, the Tigers must overcome the Giants in an MCG preliminary final on Saturday, while the Crows need to beat Geelong on Friday night at the Adelaide Oval.

Club great Kevin Bartlett insisted on SEN last week that the Tigers must wear their traditional jumper if they make it to their first decider in 35 years.

"When a side gets to a grand final they should be, and always should wear their traditional jumper, always wear their traditional jumper," Bartlett said.

"Hopefully the Tigers won't fall for anything from the AFL. If the AFL says you've got to wear the canary jumper – you tell them to get stuffed.

"That is ridiculous, that will not happen. Richmond cannot play in a grand final looking like budgerigars, or canaries. If they want to charge us $50,000 who gives a stuff?"

McLachlan did not think that leaving the decision to the toss of a coin trivialised it.

"I don't think it's trivialising because a coin toss decides a lot of things," he said. "Maybe KB tosses with Mark Ricciuto and they decide, and if Richmond plays in the gold jumpers it's KB's fault. But I think a coin toss is plausible."

Richmond were in 2014 embroiled in a jumper controversy involving Port Adelaide when the Power ended up wearing their "prison bars" Port Adelaide Magpies jumper top avoid a clash in a home elimination final at Adelaide Oval.

The Tigers subsequently unveiled their mainly yellow clash jumper ahead of the 2015 season, and were praised by the Power for doing so.

St Kilda (2010) and Fremantle (2013) both wore predominantly white second-choice jumpers as the lower-ranked side in grand finals against Collingwood and Hawthorn respectively.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-grand-final-jumper-clash-between-richmond-adelaide-could-be-sorted-by-a-coin-toss-20170919-gykwhq.html

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 01:11:48 PM »
If we make it

I really dont care if we have to wear the "yellow obsession" being there is the most important thing
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

tony_montana

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 02:17:55 PM »
This whole discussion led by mr chicken little himself has been embarrassing. STFU KB