Author Topic: Round 1, 2018 - Richmond vs Carlton @ the M.C.G. / The night we unfurl our flag  (Read 12358 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Grigg and Lambert both had a very ordinary games.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
I also think the flag unfurling was a tad boring and somewhat of an anti climax.

I thought it was about the fans....

I just expected more and when I seen the height of the flag pole I laughed.

Just think for a minute about how a college football team in the US would’ve of celebrated a flag raising ceremony of any kind, there would be marching band, cheerleaders etc.

I’m not saying I expected the opening ceremony of the Olympics but after 37 years and thousands of people some 4 generations of long suffering fans waiting with bated breath, and it was raised in about 3 seconds because the pole was only 2 feet longer the the actual flag.

Not a big deal but I just expected the club was going to do something better than what I experienced on Thursday night considering they had the whole off season to prepare for it.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
I think the celebration was appropriate. New year time
To move on and focus on this year, plenty of celebrating had been done the last few months.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I also think the flag unfurling was a tad boring and somewhat of an anti climax.

Just think for a minute about how a college football team in the US would’ve of celebrated a flag raising ceremony of any kind, there would be marching band, cheerleaders etc.

I’m not saying I expected the opening ceremony of the Olympics but after 37 years and thousands of people some 4 generations of long suffering fans waiting with bated breath, and it was raised in about 3 seconds because the pole was only 2 feet longer the the actual flag.

Not a big deal but I just expected the club was going to do something better than what I experienced on Thursday night considering they had the whole off season to prepare for it.

Can’t get a flag pole much larger than that to stand without putting foundations into the ground which is obviously not possible at the MCG.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
Grigg and Lambert both had a very ordinary games.

A fair few players were quiet/poor, can add vlastuin and Edwards to the players already discussed in this thread.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame

Can’t get a flag pole much larger than that to stand without putting foundations into the ground which is obviously not possible at the MCG.
Fair enough then, but why use a flag pole?
Maybe it could’ve been attached it to a zip line and slowly made its way to the top of the stadium scoreboard and have it proudly flapping in the breeze above all the Tiger faithful.

My point was that it was supposed to be a celebration for us fans as that’s what’s the club said and I just thought it was a fairly lame and anticlimactic way to celebrate a premiership unfulrling we’ve been waiting so long for. I mean I’ve only been thinking about for a couple of days and already I’ve made some suggestions that are far better than what I experienced on Thursday night.
Thought they would’ve done better considering how long theyve had to think about it.

Just think about the fanfare of Dreamtime at the G and imagine what could’ve been acheieved if they worked a little harder and we’re just a little more imaginative in celebrating a major achievement we all could’ve enjoyed all the more.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame

It didn't do much for me either.

Can't say I have seen an AFL flag unfurled before. What have other clubs done?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Reminded me of the flag ceremony at cubs....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

dwaino

Should have had fighter jets, circus performers and U2.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
Thank god that's done.
That was the last act of the 2017 Premiership.

Time to buckle up for the next ride.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Should have had fighter jets, circus performers and Manowar performing "Number 1"

fixed
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

dwaino

Should have had fighter jets, circus performers and Manowar performing "Number 1"

fixed

I’m ok with this.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Coaches votes (Hardwick & Bolton)

RICHMOND v CARLTON

10 Patrick Cripps (Carl)
7 Dustin Martin (Rich)
6 Kade Simpson (Carl)
3 Jack Riewoldt (Rich)
2 Dan Butler (Rich)

2 Charlie Curnow (Carl)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-26/aflca-votes-round-one-does-bucks-rates-tom