Author Topic: Deledio can expect hostile Tiger reception / Richmond just another club: Deledio  (Read 4800 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Lids can expect a hostile Tiger reception: Caddy

afl.com.au
17 September 2017

FORMER Richmond star Brett Deledio can expect a hostile reaction from fans when he takes the field in Saturday's preliminary final against Greater Western Sydney says Tiger recruit Josh Caddy. 

Deledio requested a trade from the Tigers during last year's trade period after 243 games and two best and fairests at Richmond despite having a year remaining on his contract. 

The Tigers netted a future first and third round draft pick in the trade but agreed to pay a portion of Deledio's contract during 2017. 

Now the 30-year-old finds himself pitted against his former club in a preliminary final after being part of the Giants win over West Coast's in Saturday's semi-final.

It was Deledio's first finals win in five attempts and set up a clash with his old club.   

"The Tigers supporters loved him but I'm sure they will be right off him this weekend," Caddy told Channel 7's Gameday. 

Deledio is not the only former player up against old teammates during the preliminary final with Geelong's Patrick Dangerfield playing against his former club when the Cats take on the Crows on Friday night. 

Caddy, who joined Richmond from Geelong during last year's trade period and was part of the Tigers' win over his former club in the qualifying final last week, said he suspected it would be difficult for Deledio. 

"It's amazing how footy works out. I'm sure Brett is still happy he is playing in a preliminary final but it would be mixed emotions for him for sure," Caddy said. 

A fan favourite, Deledio played in 110 wins and 128 losses for Richmond after the club used its No.1 pick at the 2004 NAB AFL Draft to recruit him. 

He struggled with a calf injury in the first half of the season but has slotted into the Giants line-up at the end of the season and played off a half back flank against West Coast. 

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-17/lids-can-expect-a-hostile-tiger-reception-caddy-
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 07:14:39 PM by one-eyed »

Offline 1885

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Deledio can expect a hostile Tiger reception: Caddy (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »
Will kick 10 on Houli  :lol

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 01:51:43 PM »
There is no "love" for The Traitor ...

Would like to remind people he jumped shipped to find success.

First asked Geelong, then ended up with GWS ...

The Traitor should be "booed" ...

Offline 1885

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 01:53:05 PM »

All 3 in the prelim

Smart guy  ;)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 03:46:03 PM »
He's our enemy now. Hope hes balling his eyes out Nick Riewoldt style after the game .
Unleash the tornado

Offline ¾ T!geɹ

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 03:49:56 PM »

I'd jump ship too if I only had one or two years left, and after playing almost 250 games without any finals win, that's gotta hurt.
The third quarter, the premiership quarter, it's Dusty time. He starts to shine and then delivers in the most AWESOME fashion.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 04:14:20 PM »
Lids turned down offers from other clubs during his time with us to remain a Tiger. He earned the right to do what he wanted to IMO. I think it was a mistake, but that is what happens in life.

And quite frankly, we got a very good deal from the Giants for him.

He was a very good player for us in his 243 games and a club leader through difficult times.

I wish him all the best, and hope that despite the Tigers beating the Giants on the weekend, he will have a good game.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond 'just another club', says GWS Giants' Brett Deledio (Age)
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 07:13:24 PM »
Richmond 'just another club', says GWS Giants' Brett Deledio

Andrew Wu
The Age
September 17 2017 - 6:37PM

Greater Western Sydney recruit Brett Deledio has viewed Richmond as "just another club" this year but the Tiger army will not be seeing their former favourite son as just another player.

After dreaming almost his entire career of a flag with the Tigers, Deledio will be out to spoil the yellow and black party in the preliminary final on Saturday.

Taking on the former club for the first time can be an emotional time for players, as Essendon's Brendon Goddard showed in a teary interview in 2013, but few will be doing so in Deledio's position.

Deledio has never pushed this deep into September. He is celebrating a major milestone - game number 250 - against the club he called home for 12 years and won two best and fairests.

And he is likely to have close to a full house of success-starved Tigers fans cheering their side to their first grand final appearance in 35 years.

Deledio marked a major land mark on the weekend, tasting victory in a final for the first time after 249 games - only eight men have played more matches before breaking their September duck.

The 30-year-old remains friends with several former teammates and has keenly followed the Tigers' progress but that is where the emotional ties end.

"They're just another club I've got a lot of great mates at. I'm rapt for them that they're playing good footy after the year that we had last year," Deledio told Fairfax Media on the eve of the finals.

"I'm rapt for my close mates that are there, that they're getting to taste finals again. I keep in contact with a lot of them regularly. That's about where it ends.

"We don't talk about us versus them even when the Giants are playing the Tiges. It's more about us being friends than us as opponents.

"I know them inside and out pretty much after being there for 12 years, it's hard not to keep a close eye and tabs on what's going on because you know the players, you know what they're doing. You watch a lot of their games and see how the boys are going, which is good. But it all ends when we're playing."

First-season Tiger Josh Caddy says Deledio should expect a fiery reception from the Tigers faithful.

"I don't know Brett, the Tigers supporters loved but I'm sure they'll be right off him this weekend," Deledio said.

"It's amazing how footy works and how things like this happen. I'm sure Brett's still happy he's playing in a preliminary final but it will be mixed emotions for him, I'm sure."

Deledio described the build-up to the finals at the Giants as like "chalk and cheese" compared to the Tigers' ill fated September campaigns in 2013-15.

"They're two different cities. Down in Richmond you're completely in the bubble with a huge supporter base with a club that has a rich history for over 150 years," Deledio said.

"We're a brand new baby club, a club in its infancy and building a pretty strong supporter base already coming into our second finals campaign. You look no further than supporter bases and how old the clubs are."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-tigers-just-another-club-says-gws-giants-brett-deledio-20170917-gyj64t.html

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 08:51:46 PM »
Lids turned down offers from other clubs during his time with us to remain a Tiger. He earned the right to do what he wanted to IMO. I think it was a mistake, but that is what happens in life.

He was a very good player for us in his 243 games and a club leader through difficult times.

I wish him all the best, and hope that despite the Tigers beating the Giants on the weekend, he will have a good game.

Save your diplomacy, come 4:45pm Saturday IT"S WAR!!!
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline sugark

• Premiership Captain
We as the crowd must put as much negative pressure as possible on him, he never handled the pressure in a final for us so we must make sure he doesn't for them either

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Its only a game of footy isn't it?

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
na stuff lids, campo and the rest of those plastic club.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 07:56:45 PM »

YESsssSSSS BIG MAN  :clapping
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 08:04:37 PM »

YESsssSSSS BIG MAN  :clapping

C'MON idiots, WE ARE NOT SYDNEY SUPPORTERS CLAPPING BEHINDS FROM THE GRAND STAND. 
We are:
1. Playing a team and the winner progresses to the Grand Final
2. We have waited since 1982 to play in another Grand Final, these pricks have been around 5 mins
3. I'm not clapping for any of the opposition, their intention is to BEAT US, get it??

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAT EEEEEEEEEEMMMMMMMM AAALLLLLIIIVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEE
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S