Author Topic: Nathan Broad signs contract extension for 2018 (afl site)  (Read 2194 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Nathan Broad signs contract extension for 2018 (afl site)
« on: September 19, 2017, 01:42:30 PM »
Broad shoulders injury woes and earns new deal

afl.com.au
19 September 2017

WHEN Richmond defender Nathan Broad injured his shoulder two days out from round one, he could not have imagined the positive impact it would have on his season and his career at Punt Road Oval.

Out of contract at the end of the 2017, on the fringe of selection and without a clear understanding of what type of player he was, the signs were not good for the mature-age recruit from Western Australia.

But a 10-week stint in rehab under rehabilitation and conditioning coach Rob Inness changed everything, and he will enter Saturday night's preliminary final with a fresh one-year contract for 2018 and a crucial role in arguably the game's best back six.

"It's definitely improved my game. I don't know how, but I came back feeling like a better player," Broad told AFL.com.au ahead of the Tigers' preliminary final clash with Greater Western Sydney.

"I don't know if I wouldn't have been able to slide back into the AFL without it. It's hard to say, but I definitely feel like I came back a better footballer, that's for sure.

"I ended up putting on extra weight, I got a lot stronger and a lot fitter. So it was like a mini pre-season.

"It made me mentally stronger too. You're out of contract and part of your season's gone, your team is flying. All those things come into it and you're in rehab."

Broad, who has played the past eight games at AFL level, injured his right shoulder two days before round one, landing on his lead during a drill and injuring his AC joint. 

If he hadn't injured himself, he would have been starting the season in the VFL and fighting an uphill battle to find a role at AFL level.

"I didn't know exactly what I was and the club didn't know exactly what I was, if I was that running defender or a lockdown player," he said.

"We had a pretty strong back six at the time as well, so I would have started in the VFL and worked my up I reckon."

While Broad would have done everything possible to earn a chance, he can see now that he had shortcomings as a player and completing a stint in rehab gave him a chance to address them.

He sat down with backline coach Ben Rutten and asked what attributes he needed to be a better player at AFL level. More aerial power to help him in contests with key forwards was number one on the list when he reported back to Inness.

"We did a lot more core leg stuff because I still wanted to keep my running power up, but then a lot more technique stuff in marking contests," Broad said.

"It was a bit of one-on-one training in that rehab group. I might have been able to build the speed if I was playing, but the strength side probably not.

"The training load when you're playing drops off, but in rehab it gets increased. So I probably wouldn't have been as strong in the marking contests if I didn't do the rehab."

Since returning at AFL level in round 17, Broad has held his own in battles with opponents as diverse as Nick Riewoldt, Luke Breust and Toby Greene.

It has been a massive lifestyle change for the 24-year-old, who was an apprentice plumber before he joined Richmond as a mature-age recruit from WAFL club Swan Districts two years ago.   

While he is not able to complete his apprenticeship while playing, he spends his Wednesdays at Rod Laver Arena on the tools in a work experience arrangement that he says gives his life a good balance.

On Saturday night he will play his 11th game in front of more than 90,000 fans. He will man a small forward like Greene, or a big man like Rory Lobb, moving instinctively between them as part of a team defence.   

"We rotate a lot so you don't always have the same man and I need to play on both talls and smalls," he said.

"My role does change up a bit from shutdown to sometimes even spare, but I'm loving the role at the moment.

"The shutdown roles keep me engaged in the game a little bit more and I know I've got to do my role for the team, then other days I might not go to anyone, it'll just be play footy."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-19/broad-shoulders-injury-woes-and-earns-new-deal

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Nathan Broad signs contract extension for 2018 (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 03:25:00 PM »
12 month deal = fair enough

Got to keep our depth players  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 03:27:25 PM »
Very Happy Player Sponsor her, Broady is also rapt

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 04:11:55 PM »
Deserved but I think Short has more to offer.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 06:22:50 PM »

Broad has more long term upside. Could end up a tall running mid. Whoa  :shh
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 06:51:40 PM »
12 month deal = fair enough

Got to keep our depth players  ;D
In just over 10 day he could be a premiership player in the biggest club in the AFL. So I think he is more than just a depth player.
He has come from the clouds but he has more than done enough to warrant a spot in our side.
Remarkable turnaround I reckon.
Im really happy for him.

tony_montana

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 07:43:25 PM »
Very happy with this, our backline went to another level when he slotted in. Pretty damn good for someone thats played 10 games. Quick mobile tall thats tough  - gives us more flexibility with matchups. As long as he plays within his limitations when it comes to kicking, he's fine.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 09:56:31 PM »
Broad is learning from the best . Good luck to him .
Unleash the tornado

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 10:46:28 PM »

Broad has more long term upside. Could end up a tall running mid. Whoa  :shh
one is 21 and the other 24 but the older mature recruit has more long term upside. Okay then.
For what its worth im not sold on either but id prefer both in the back half to Houli and Ellis.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 01:18:04 PM »
Bloke was great vs Geelong. Very happy with him.

Need to retain Short to replace Houli when he hangs them up...

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 01:52:13 PM »
Bearing in mind Houli still has two years left to run on his contract, I'd consider trading Short for Saad... :shh

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 12:51:02 PM »
Emerging Richmond defender Nathan Broad credits the Club’s rehabilitation and conditioning coach, Rob Inness, with playing a major role in his impressive late-season form.

Broad is averaging 15.1 disposals and 4.8 marks per match in his eight AFL games this season.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-09-20/the-key-to-broads-rise

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 01:08:43 PM »
Bearing in mind Houli still has two years left to run on his contract, I'd consider trading Short for Saad... :shh

Houli is out of contract end of 2018

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 05:26:12 PM »

Houli is out of contract end of 2018

And will be 30 years 6 months old. Undoubtedly on 1-year contracts with a mind to be managed through the season.

Need to retain Short in anticipation of this IMO.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 05:49:23 PM »
When blokes like this and Castagna are the bottom few players in your finals win, you know things have gotten better...