Author Topic: RFC historian Bill Meaklim can't remember an 'unbelievable buzz' like this (ABC)  (Read 303 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond Tigers historian Bill Meaklim can't remember an 'unbelievable buzz' like this

By Damian McIver
ABC.net.au
19 September 2017

Richmond stalwart Bill Meaklim knows what it's like when the drought breaks.

The 83-year-old first started barracking for the Tigers after watching them win the 1943 flag — and then had to wait 24 years for the next one.

"I clearly remember the anticipation in 1967. It's just the anticipation that the drought will break, and when it did break, boy oh boy," he said.

Richmond will face Greater Western Sydney in the preliminary final on Saturday.

If they win, they'll have a chance to break an even bigger drought — 37 years since the club's last premiership in 1980.

"I've been involved within the club for three premierships and I've had to warn the staff, be prepared," Mr Meaklim said.

"The merchandise shop will sell out overnight, they'll need to have more staff than Myer."

Mr Meaklim received an Order of Australia medal earlier this year for his decades of service to Richmond.

He was the Tigers' statistician for 25 years before becoming club historian in 1986.

He reckons he once saw 1,200 Richmond games straight, not missing a pre-season practice match, final or anything in between.

But he has seen nothing like the hype surrounding the Tigers this September.

"Thirty-seven years. People who have never seen Richmond win a premiership running around in Richmond gear. The buzz is unbelievable and unequalled in my journey."

Lounge room can rival MCG atmosphere

Mr Meaklim doesn't get to as many games as he once did. There is no interstate travel and night games are a bit of a stretch.

"The atmosphere at the ground is really important I reckon, but by gee there's some atmosphere in my lounge room, I really let go," he said with a laugh.

Mr Meaklim is also secretary of the Richmond Former Players and Officials Association, and his phone has been running hot this week with past players chasing extra tickets for Saturday's match.

"Only two days ago I spoke to Royce Hart, Ian Stewart, Dick Clay, Jack Dyer Junior — the buzz is there among them as well."

Mr Meaklim's knowledge of past players, whether they played one game or 300, is encyclopaedic.

"I reckon if any player post-World War walked into this room I could tell you who he is."

Yellow and black army like family

It's a current Tigers star who has impressed Mr Meaklim the most.

"I have been reflecting in my 74 years following, to see if I've seen a player more dominant than Dustin Martin, and I haven't," he said.

As the years have slid by, Mr Meaklim has had to farewell many friends from the yellow and black army.

All up, he reckons he has delivered nearly 20 eulogies for old Tiger friends, and prefers "awakes" to "wakes" — holding a celebration of someone's life while they are still alive to enjoy it.

He has been having an "awake" for himself every five years since his 70th birthday.

"On my 80th, which was upstairs in the social club, I had 100 people there as guests, and my sister came up to me and said, 'You've got the family table here of 10, and the other bloody 90 are Richmond'.

"I hadn't really quite realised that all my friends are Richmond — subtract my family, which are Richmond anyway!"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-19/richmond-tigers-diehard-bill-meaklim-on-afl-finals/8960288