Author Topic: Making the Granny has added $3 million to RFC coffers: Peggy O'Neal (Fox)  (Read 3050 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Peggy O’Neal president On the Couch: what a premiership is worth to Tigers
September 26, 2017 9:42pmMax Laughton@maxlaughtonSource: FOX SPORTS

RICHMOND president Peggy O’Neal has revealed exactly what a premiership will mean to the club while explaining the reasons behind the decision to keep Damien Hardwick as senior coach.

The Tigers boss was awarded as the AFLCA Coach of the Year on Tuesday night, just 12 months after an internal review had his position up for debate.

Richmond has risen from 13th in 2016 to the Grand Final this year — the biggest year-on-year jump since Melbourne went from 14th to the season decider from 1999 to 2000 — with Hardwick’s coaching receiving plenty of credit.

O’Neal, the first female AFL club president, said the board was “willing to take the risk” of stepping backwards this season that keeping Hardwick represented.

“The principal thing for me that came across was that he was a man of great character,” she told Fox Footy’s On the Couch.

“The players loved playing for him, he’s someone who puts the club first and has no second agenda and his coaching record was very good for that stage of a career.

“We made the decision on what he had done and we did talk, because you always talk about if things go wrong, what happens if we go backwards next year and we were willing to take that risk.

“We still thought he was the right man for the job and I kept saying it all year, “he will coach, we’ll see out his contract.” We thought that some things around him needed to change and that’s what we put our mind to do.”

The president herself was also under fire this time last year as the ‘Focus on Footy’ group tried to challenge the board.

But with Richmond heading to a Grand Final — and set for a $3 million boost to the club coffers, according to O’Neal — she now appears to be secure.

Yet having been targeted in the past by less savoury types, O’Neal still believes some people don’t believe she should be in her position based on her gender.

“There’s no doubt that a lot of people still think that women have no role in this game — either playing it or working in it, or having roles in governance,” she said.

“I’ve always thought — and being a lawyer, I’ve been the only woman in the room a lot of times — that the best thing is just to go on and do a good job.

“My principal job is to be president of the Richmond Football Club and so I just do it, and all that entails ... I have no doubt that it still continues to be said to this day.”

O’Neal also said that the Tigers have heard the rumblings that they have been unsuccessful in bidding for an AFLW license.

“We’ve heard that. We hope not,” she said.

“If we are (unsuccessful), we’ll be disappointed. I thought our application was extraordinarily good.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/richmond-president-peggy-oneal-on-why-the-tigers-kept-damien-hardwick-and-what-a-flag-is-worth/news-story/b524ebab1b5836f0d11cc35d82aef897

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Making the Granny has added $3 million to RFC coffers: Peggy O'Neal (Fox)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 03:40:43 PM »
Its "Potential Income" we would have to win the granny to realise it, stuffing press twist things.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 04:02:57 PM »

Yet having been targeted in the past by less savoury types, O’Neal still believes some people don’t believe she should be in her position based on her gender.

Is she referring to people on here?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 06:55:35 AM »
Its "Potential Income" we would have to win the granny to realise it, stuffing press twist things.

No quite

No matter the result extra income already

Merch sales up = significantly

Bonuses in sponsorship agreements for making finals now GF

Finals = extra income for being in the final

Yep there will be more if win with the prizemoney being about $1 mil

But we've already reaping the $$ benefits from being so deep in September
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 07:10:12 AM »

No quite

I would imagine the odd one or two extra people will sign up for memberships next year as well..win or lose on saturday.
Could membership hit 85k??

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 09:55:04 AM »

No quite

What do you mean  "not quite" its a fact, listen to what she actually says. She has done preliminary figures those figures indicate 3 million potentially, that's if we go all the way.

Of course we are going to get extra income already from making finals and so forth ( merch )but this has already been calculated into the preliminary figures.

So the 3 million is what we should at least get to if we win. and that's what Dunstall wanted to know and that is what she said.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
A little birdy has told me that a wealthy fanatical Richmond supporter, who has substantial property holdings all over Melbourne
promised the club that if we won a flag he would transfer the ownership of house in Richmond to the Richmond FC. The value of
said property could be between $1 million and $1.5 million. This supporter has supposedly a huge property portfolio and so giving
the RFC a property for free wont make much difference to him. Anyone else heard this rumour?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
A little birdy has told me that a wealthy fanatical Richmond supporter, who has substantial property holdings all over Melbourne
promised the club that if we won a flag he would transfer the ownership of house in Richmond to the Richmond FC. The value of
said property could be between $1 million and $1.5 million. This supporter has supposedly a huge property portfolio and so giving
the RFC a property for free wont make much difference to him. Anyone else heard this rumour?
Wow!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
So, one for Troy Taylor. Who gets the other one?

tony_montana

:lol

That would be fantastic for the club if true. Great gesture

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 05:58:30 PM »

Sign it over to Tom Lynch as a sweetener for when he joins RFC as a RFA for slightly unders whilst threatening to retire if GCS match the offer :D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 06:43:11 PM »
Benny Gale said that $3 million figure is what the Bulldogs made last year from winning the flag. He said he expects ours to be north of that figure.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 06:55:32 PM »
Benny Gale said that $3 million figure is what the Bulldogs made last year from winning the flag. He said he expects ours to be north of that figure.

Safe bet you'd think.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 07:54:34 PM »

Safe bet you'd think.
Would honestly think double that figure, given our membership and supporter base and the success Dusty has had on top with the Brownlow.

The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 08:21:41 PM »

Safe bet you'd think.
Would honestly think double that figure, given our membership and supporter base and the success Dusty has had on top with the Brownlow.
Benny said we won't truly know the actual impact and figure until next year. All depends on what boost our membership tally gets.