Author Topic: A Personal Tribute  (Read 4083 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
A Personal Tribute
« on: May 09, 2004, 01:01:10 PM »
Before I begin I just want to apoligises in advance if this is overly sentimental and even a bit over the top.

During the past week while finalising things to get this site up and running I found out that a friend of mine who I have sat with at the football since I was a teenager was gravely ill and not expected to last the week.

I knew after round 1 there was something wrong because my friend and and his wife were not in their seats for that game. The rest of the gang that I sit with and I had been racking our brains - how we could contact our friends. Can you believe that we had been sitting together all these years and we didn't know one anonthers surnames? For 6 months of the footy season we are like a family - we share afternoon teas at half-time, lunch before the game discussing our families and then stand after matches disecting the previous 120 minutes but we never bothered to swap surnames or phone numbers. If one of us weren't going to be at the next game for what ever reason we simply tell each other so no one would worry. At the end of the season it was simply "see you next year".

Anyway, earlier this week with the assistance, wonderful compassion and understanding of the RFC my frend's wife &  I  made contact and I my worst fears were confirmed when I was told about my mate's illness. We now have each others names, phone numbers.  Neither of us can thank the RFC enough for how they helped us.

Yesterday I got the terrilbe news that my friend had passed away.

Anyway this got me thinking. Footy gives us so much and I am not talking about games won and premierships.

Being part (member) of the Club that I have followed all my life has given some absolutely wonderful friendships. If I wans't a member with a reserve seat I would never met these people and shared so much with them over such a long period of time.  I now think the bond of friendship is even stronger and I cannot help but think that I owe some thanks to the RFC for that.

R.I.P. my friend.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 01:04:53 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

froars

Re: A Personal Tribute
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 01:08:27 PM »
Sorry for your loss, William.

Yes, our footy family is large, and when we lose one is like a loss in the family.  Because what friends do you know that you laugh, cry, pull your hair out, scream, yell with, have a drink with to either celebrate or drown your sorrows.  You feel closer to your footy friends sometimes more than those in your other parts of your lives. 

I had a friend who bought a Ton Up membership year in and year out.  Trouble is, he wasn't a Richmond supporter, but he was such a friend to all of us at the club.  He passed away from a brain tumour a couple of years ago - and every time we play the Dees we think of him. 

I hope the club win for your friend today.

Froars

Ox

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 01:48:43 PM »
Cheers  William.

It's a way of life! (Footy)

Thanx Tiges,

My condolances.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 07:14:41 PM »
 :'( Sad to hear your loss WP. Deepest sympathies to you and your friend's family.

I've only had a reserved seat since last year but you do quickly form friendships with the people around you sharing the high and lows (more of the latter recently) of the Tigers.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 10:48:41 PM »
Since l lost my old seat (red seats) near the RFC race lve lost contact with many good people too.

I play footy and my 4 closest mates are all from the club we play for and started out together 16 years ago.Footy is a bond that you cant put a price on.
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went