Author Topic: Richmond’s win was great for Tiger fans but troubling for the AFL  (Read 7005 times)

dwaino

Re: Richmond’s win was great for Tiger fans but troubling for the AFL
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 11:50:34 PM »
Absolutely revelling in everyone's saltiness. But but but it's Richmond  :'(

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 11:53:03 PM »
We have to love the saltiness at our premiership, kind of annoys me a little bit but shouldn't want the whole world to celebrate with us!

Have to laugh at the interstate idiots saying the GF should be rotated to different states like the SuperBowl. The idea of having a GF in front of 50k in Adelaide is the biggest joke I've heard in years.

Get 100k stadiums in all states and come back to the table ya blobs!
Go Tigers!

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 11:54:11 PM »
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmonds-win-was-great-for-tiger-fans-but-troubling-for-the-afl/news-story/5166b7f6b6cd5b0675316dd4bf4f3f24

The game didn’t exactly bode well for players standing 194cm or higher either. There’s always going to be room for one ruckman but if key forwards can’t get a kick on grand final day what’s the point of playing them (and in turn the key defenders that follow them around)?

Click on the link for the rest.

Salty prick

Pretty sure Rance did fine. so did Riewoldt. Taylor "i will stare at you and be tough" walker just shat himself in front of 100K people

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 02:02:17 AM »
A mate who supports Essendon told me that apparently the AFL are so worried about the Tiger's emerging to dominate the competition that as part of their equalisation strategy, they are going to make us take back Tyrone Vickery.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 06:54:47 AM »
A mate who supports Essendon told me that apparently the AFL are so worried about the Tiger's emerging to dominate the competition that as part of their equalisation strategy, they are going to make us take back Tyrone Vickery.

:lol
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 07:18:41 AM »
oh you know the mighty Tiges are back the hate has resurfaced quickly hahaha my missus is overhearing it at work already, salty bitter whingeing, we don't deserve it, blah blah.  Get used to it arseholes
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 07:57:32 AM »

The club that keeps giving.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 09:48:31 PM »
oh you know the mighty Tiges are back the hate has resurfaced quickly hahaha my missus is overhearing it at work already, salty bitter whingeing, we don't deserve it, blah blah.  Get used to it holes

its great isnt it?

saints, blues, pies the lot of em are hurting now

all they have to do now is listen to trade radio while we celebrate

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 10:07:59 PM »
Haven't read the above but heard about it, what a load of bollocks.
We scored 16 goals, so if teams cant handle our pressure that's their problem.
It's just jealous bitterness, which makes it all the more satisfying in my book.
stuff em all
Premiers baby I'm in heaven

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 03:00:05 PM »
the previous 7  yrs i thought we were crap and would gladly debate that until the cows come home.
But the club proved me wrong all this yr.
They firstly kept winning games and stayed competetive all yr and they slowly built or if you like got on a big wave late.

Thought they were great from the geelong game at geelong  iin particular onwards.
every time i thought we had a problem they went out proved there was no problem, i complained about the lack of goals and in the last 6 weeks theks kicked plenty of goals.

complained about our structure, the overall output of the smalls as a collective, the  lack of tall fwds, lack of depth in so many areas and there was plenty of other things. they may not have ticked off all the boxes but they kept on getting better and over came or found ways to overcome deficiencies.

They proved me very wrong in lots of areas. In saying that i still think there is plenty of room for improvement and if we dont we may well do a bulldogs and slide.

Anyway enjoyed the flag very much and it does enable me to go out with a bang.
Its not so much the club itself, but the game it has become very hard to watch and so much of the hardness has been taken out of it. the spin, the double standards of the afl, the lack  of integrity and so forth.

This i can promise is my last post enough is enough but i do thank the club for utter joy they gave me in being able to witness a premiership after waiting so long.This yr they finally proved me wrong.  as i have promised shut me up and ill go away  on this occasion most likely for good.

Anyway see yas all and hope theres many more premierships for all of you to enjoy, i have mostly enjoyed the debates tantrums stupidity and humour but can honestly say i wont really miss them anymore.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 05:57:35 PM »
 :thumbsup :cheers :thumbsup
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 09:21:48 PM »
Jai Bednall is a South Australian.

He is also clearly a Crows supporter going by his Twitter account. His photo of the night from the Adelaide/Geelong prelim tweet is in fairly poor taste.

Hence the article trying to sell the Tigers short.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 12:03:26 AM »
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmonds-win-was-great-for-tiger-fans-but-troubling-for-the-afl/news-story/5166b7f6b6cd5b0675316dd4bf4f3f24

THE AFL head honchos sat back with Cheshire cat-like grins during a minor round that featured more shock upsets and nailbiting finishes than any season in recent memory.

But its success in creating an equalised competition was followed by an absolute flop of a finals series where just one of eight games was decided by less than six goals.

Not only did September suck, there is also a distinct feeling among fans not wearing yellow and black (or red, white and blue last season) the AFL has produced two pretty ordinary premiers in the past two seasons.

Richmond, and the Western Bulldogs a year ago, captured the imagination of the footy world with the fairytale runs to the flag. The Tigers’ record rise from 13th on the ladder a season ago was just as unlikely as the Dogs winning from seventh place in 2016.

But will they be remembered as champion sides or just teams that found form at the right time and made the most of advantageous situations?

The Dogs feel like a bit of a flash in the pan after they fell all the way to 10th while trying to defend their premiership. A similar drop by the Tigers would be stunning but its telling they’re viewed as $8 outsiders today to go back-to-back — well behind Adelaide ($4.50), GWS ($4.50) and Sydney ($5.50) in the premiership market.

An even competition keeps fans of all clubs engaged longer during the minor round but it feels like it’s hurting the final product too.

The league doesn’t want a situation like the English Premier League where only a handful of clubs have a sniff each year — or the NBA where the league’s best players are being concentrated at a few locations.

But you also want a grand final product that highlights the very best of your game and a winner that can be celebrated for being a genuinely brilliant football team. It’s debatable whether the Tigers fit this description.

Dustin Martin and Alex Rance are champions in any era and Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt are fine players. But remember when it used to take a midfield of Voss, Akermanis, Black and Lappin or Judd, Cousins and Kerr to win a flag?

In terms of game style, you can hardly argue Richmond’s win was a win for entertaining football either.

t’s a little overblown but coaches often look to the reigning premier when deciding what additions to make to their gameplan over summer.

What’s the lesson from the Tigers? Surround a few stars with a bunch of battlers and just pressure the bejesus out of the opposition.

There’s nothing wrong with contested ball remaining king but a Crows win would have been a win for attacking, high-scoring footy. Instead the grinders won out and the game’s highlight reel was stunningly short.

The game didn’t exactly bode well for players standing 194cm or higher either. There’s always going to be room for one ruckman but if key forwards can’t get a kick on grand final day what’s the point of playing them (and in turn the key defenders that follow them around)?

Click on the link for the rest.

Salty prick

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 01:56:08 AM »

He is also clearly a Crows supporter going by his Twitter account. His photo of the night from the Adelaide/Geelong prelim tweet is in fairly poor taste.

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 08:00:34 AM »

:thumbsup

All the best Claw, for mine - you're always welcome to read - good, bad or ugly. That's why they call it a democracy
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.