Author Topic: Where and when are we playing next week/ Tiges vs Dogs trial match  (Read 9448 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Deledio pleases home crowd with skilful display (Shepparton News)
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2006, 10:50:04 AM »
Deledio pleases home crowd with skilful display
March 6 2006
Shepparton News

Public relations: The Tigers, including Kyabram star Brett Deledio, remained on the ground post-game to sign autographs.Pictures: Nikki Davis-Jones 

Terry Wallace told Brett Deledio it was his call as to how much action he saw against the Western Bulldogs in Saturday's practice match at Deakin Reserve.

"I told Brett this was his home and that he could tell me how much or how little he wanted to play for the people up this way," Wallace said in anticipation of the AFL NAB Challenge match on Saturday.

"He was just great for us last week, and to be honest, we would've probably let him have a break this week except for the fact that we were coming up to Shepparton."

By the end of the day Deledio knew he was alive, having spent three-quarters of the match in the heat of the action, as the mercury pushed 34o C throughout the afternoon.

"I've felt pretty good so far this season," Deledio said in his postgame assessment of the state of affairs for the boys from Punt Rd.

"We've worked hard during pre-season, but you've got to work doubly hard to develop match fitness once the games begin."

While the bulk of the 5000-strong crowd was delighted with the way Deledio displayed his silky-smooth Rising Star Award-winning skills, the Tiger champ singled teammate and fellow former Murray Bushranger Chris Hyde out for special mention.

"Snags took 'em on today, didn't he?" Deledio said.

"He showed a few tricks and had a terrific game.

"In fact the signs are pretty good for us, so we hope things continue to get better.

"The boys performed pretty well."

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
A speedy Hyde uses the ground to his advantage (Shepparton News)
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2006, 10:52:28 AM »
A speedy Hyde uses the ground to his advantage
March 6 2006
Shepparton News

Barooga's Chris Hyde enjoyed a rewarding return to the Goulburn Valley with a terrific game for Richmond in Saturday's NAB Challenge practice match at Deakin Reserve.

The pacy 23-year-old was given ample room with which to work and delighted the massive crowd with some electrifying bursts and polished disposal skills.

"It's good to get back up this way," Hyde said to FM 98.5 boundary rider Kevin "Gunna" Ryan post-match.

"I was going to stay up with Mum but I need to get back (to Melbourne) for a recovery session tomorrow."

While still three weeks out from the season proper, there was enough to like about Richmond's 76-point win to suggest that the black and gold faithful might have something to get excited about this season.

"We've still got a bit of work to do, but it was good to have a win today," Hyde said.

"Terry (Wallace) wants us to run and to run forward.

"When a bloke has the ball he wants us to run with him."

Hyde clearly took Wallace literally on Saturday.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Deledio pleases home crowd with skilful display (Shepparton News)
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2006, 11:01:10 AM »
"Snags took 'em on today, didn't he?" Deledio said.

lol
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Where and when are we playing next week/ Tiges vs Dogs trial match
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2006, 01:04:21 PM »
The surface looked in great nick from those photos. We should play a preseason game in Shepparton every year rather than on some dodgy ground somewhere else. I read on a doggies board that it was a very pro-Tigers crowd but Lids might have had alot to do with that.

Yeah when Lids got the ball you'd have thought the crowd was 15k ;D and btw they were pretty loud for Browny too
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger cubs shine in Shepparton (RFC site)
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2006, 04:55:16 PM »
Tiger cubs shine in Shepparton
3:33:27 PM Wed 8 March, 2006
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

The most pleasing aspect of Richmond's 78-point win against the Western Bulldogs in Shepparton last Saturday was the form displayed by several of the Club's promising crop of young players.

Danny Meyer (three goals), Daniel Jackson (three goals), Cleve Hughes (three goals) and Jay Schulz (three goals) kicked nearly half of the Tigers' impressive 26-goal tally for the match, while Andrew Raines was extremely impressive in a running role across the backline.

Richmond coach Terry Wallace was understandably upbeat about the efforts of his talented Tiger cubs in the clash with the Bulldogs, although he acknowledged the Dogs had most of their best side missing and the result would have "absolutely no bearing" on the outcome of their season-opener on March 31.

"It's what we've been keen to deliver since day one. We said we wanted to develop our own champions of the future and that Richmond supporters should get excited about seeing them playing their first game and then following their development from that point on," Wallace said.

"At the end of last Saturday's game, I grabbed hold of Travis Casserly and Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls, who both didn't play and said, 'you saw some young boys do some pretty special things out there today and you ought to be excited because you guys are all going to be around here playing a lot of footy together for a long period of time'.

"I was pretty excited about it myself, and certainly those guys were . . .

"We took five young players up there without any promise of game time and told them we'd try to get them on in the second half if the situation suited. They had to meet down in the change-rooms at the 15-minute mark of the second quarter, and then they'd be advised whether they were going to play or not at that stage.

"Of those five players, three of them (Meyer, Hughes and Dean Limbach) kicked seven second-half goals. That's a great return from those young guys. And, the other two boys did okay as well . . . Dean Polo went into the middle of the ground and competed well, while Luke McGuane came on and did some good work down back."

Wallace is delighted with the advancement being made by Tigerland's 'department of youth' as the countdown to bouncedown '06 prepares to enter its final phase.

"The process (focusing on young talent at the Club) was started before I got here, when about six young blokes were introduced in Danny's (Frawley's) last year," he said.

"We're starting to see some progress from 'Rainesy', 'Roachy' is getting closer to the mark, 'Jacko' has stepped up a bit and so has Brent Hartigan.

"Then, there's Jay Schulz, who began 12 months earlier than that, who's starting to get into the line-up.

"They're all starting to infiltrate their way in, which is really important for our future. And, then you've got the boys from the last couple of drafts, so there's certainly a bit of spark around the place."

According to Wallace, the stand-outs in last Saturday's practice match from the younger brigade were Andrew Raines (24 possessions), Richard Tambling (19 possessions), Jay Schulz (18 possessions), Adam Pattison (18 possessions) and Nathan Foley (16 possessions).

http://afl.com.au/?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=249976