Author Topic: The day Dimma branded Dusty a 'schoolboy' (afl site)  (Read 2798 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The day Dimma branded Dusty a 'schoolboy' (afl site)
« on: October 09, 2017, 09:53:07 PM »
The day Dimma branded Dusty a 'schoolboy'

afl.com.au
9 October 2017

A NEW book detailing Richmond's rags-to-riches premiership rise shines a light on Damien Hardwick's coaching transformation.

Journalist Konrad Marshall, a Tigers diehard, spent the first half of last year entrenched at Punt Road working on what was to become Yellow & Black – A season with Richmond.

But the Tigers' horror 2016 campaign, where they finished 13th, fortuitously led to the project being postponed until this year.

That time last season, rather than being wasted, enabled Marshall to provide contrast in Hardwick's style, built around the club's 33-point round five defeat to Melbourne.

The behind-the-scenes book reveals how Hardwick tried to motivate his side before the clash last year, and his "venomous" post-match player appraisal that targeted his biggest stars.

"We spoke about what that jumper would say (about us when we took it off). Well, I'm going to give you the answer: We are as weak as pee as a football side," Hardwick is quoted as saying.

"We sit there and pledge allegiance to the thing you wear, and the Melbourne Football Club steamrolls our blokes. Our blokes! No hiding from it – weak, f---ing weak!"

Hardwick questioned Brandon Ellis' and Bachar Houli's hardness, and told Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin he performed like "a schoolboy" and lambasted Alex Rance for playing like "an idiot".

Marshall illustrates how differently the coach approached the same Anzac Day eve game this year, with a "playful" defensive metaphor based on the board game Connect Four. Richmond overran the Demons that night to win by 13 points.

"The man is buoyant, a disposition not based on results but on process," Marshall wrote of Hardwick.

"He more than anyone made the decision to change Richmond into a defensive-yet-unshackled team, and now he delights in the plan's application."

Hardwick told AFL.com.au in a pre-season interview that he had looked closely at who he was as a coach in the aftermath of the Tigers' disappointing 2016.

"There were some areas in my make-up that I had to get better," Hardwick said at the time.

"I had to go out and iron out (those things) that probably weren't allowing me to be the best coach I could be.

"I was probably a little bit too strict on them at stages last year and didn't allow them to play with that freedom."

Yellow & Black – A season with Richmond will be on sale from November

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-09/the-day-dimma-called-dusty-a-schoolboy-and-rance-an-idiot

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: The day Dimma branded Dusty a 'schoolboy' (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 01:07:59 AM »
"He more than anyone made the decision to change Richmond into a defensive-yet-unshackled team, and now he delights in the plan's application."

:shh :shh :shh

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 05:11:15 AM »

Clearly not true, I have it on good authority it was Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 06:18:31 AM »

That's not overly insightful, really it just articulates the objective rather than the strategy which could well have been Caracalla.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 09:07:20 AM »
Personally, I think if the coach is the one who takes the fall, he is the one who gets the credit.

Regardless of who actually came up with our new gameplan, Hardwick had the final say in adopting it.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 09:16:06 AM »
Lmao.

Let's run with that scenario for a. KENT.

Only took the rock eight years to work out he had it wrong.

Caracella and Balmey.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 10:51:25 AM »
Lmao.

Ross Lyon says Hi
Unleash the tornado

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 11:54:52 AM »
Lmao.

Rubbish. He went off the rails in 2015-16. I thought this was his best year since 2012 when I thought he had the players playing the best brand of football. At that point we lacked depth and our leaders had not matured. There is no way you can say he has been poo for 8 years. He got spooked by the elimination final loss to Carlton and it slowly unravelled until he got the right people around him and fixed things this year.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 12:34:31 PM »
Is Ox the new Claw?

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 09:53:02 PM »

Clearly not true, I have it on good authority it was Caracella and Balmey.

I wouldn't class the nupties here as "good authority"

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 08:58:48 AM »
Pffft
Caracella and Balmey.