Author Topic: Dustin Martin gives Norm Smith Medal to Will Murray (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1134 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin gives Norm Smith Medal to Will Murray

Alice Coster,
Herald Sun
14 October 2017

DUSTIN Martin knows his Norm Smith Medal is in safe hands after giving it to his brave mate Will Murray.

The first thing Martin did when he arrived inside the Richmond rooms at the MCG following the Tiger’s epic Grand Final win was to drape the medal around his new friend’s neck and give him a hug.

Will says that’s the kind of guy his PlayStation and ­meditating buddy Dusty is — a top bloke and very humble.

“I definitely didn’t expect to have the Norm Smith around my neck, or to still have it,” Will laughed.

“But I feel very privileged.”

The Norm Smith Medal is now in safe keeping, hidden inside the 15-year-old’s bedroom.

The pair’s quiet behind-the-scenes friendship seems to tell a story of the real Dusty off the field.

Tragically, Will, 15, was left a quadriplegic after suffering a devastating neck injury jumping off a pier at Half Moon Bay in 2016.

The Tigers, along with the broader football ­community, have rallied behind Will with fundraising and support.

Will’s mother Emma Murray, the Richmond Football Club’s mindfulness coach, said the Brownlow medallist started popping over to their Brighton house early last year to start meditating. He and Will fast became buddies and now the weekly visits had become a sort of pre-game tradition.

Ms Murray said Dusty and Will would first chow down on some freshly baked choc-chip ­cookies before battling it out on the PlayStation playing FIFA Football, followed by meditating together.

“They have a fierce rivalry on FIFA then head off to Will’s room and do a bit of ­mediation,” she said.

Shane Martin said from New Zealand that he was proud of his son’s gesture.

“That’s Dustin all over, he thinks of other people first. He considers other people before himself,” he said.

“That’s a beautiful thing to do, it makes Will feel special and it wouldn’t even phase Dustin that he gave away the medal, he’d rather see that he made him happy.

“He’s always thinking about his teammates and the club, not himself or the medals.”

Meanwhile, Will admits being the Norm Smith custodian has earned him some bragging rights with his friends, but he is fiercely protective of it as Dusty continues to celebrate the great win.

“It’s in safe keeping all right, no one will be able to come and snatch it off me,” Murray said. “But I’m not going to keep it, it’s his, he should celebrate it.”

Dustin Martin with Will Murray in the Richmond rooms after the 2017 Grand Final.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/dustin-martin-gives-norm-smith-medal-to-will-murray/news-story/5f224cd3773b38c7f31609d5015c5dd1

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin gives Norm Smith Medal to Will Murray (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 11:17:52 PM »
I become more and more impressed with Dusty as time goes on. Sure he just doesn't give a rat's ass about most awards he was given but he appreciates that others do. Receiving that medal would have meant the world to that kid so rather than cling on to every individual award and revel in the limelight like an Ablett or Dangerfield, he gave it to him.

The only award Dusty truly cherishes is the team one - his premiership medal and I think he should be applauded for that too.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 08:10:46 AM »
He gave the premiership medal away for a little while as well and the results were impressive lol

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 08:47:36 AM »
He gave the premiership medal away for a little while as well and the results were impressive lol

it wasnt Dusty's medal

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 09:01:13 AM »
champ!
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 09:13:26 AM »
Old news
Caracella and Balmey.