Author Topic: Dustin Martin... An Evening With @ Crown (ticketmaster)  (Read 5908 times)

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin... An Evening With @ Crown (ticketmaster)
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 07:50:32 PM »
Apparently he got over $250,000 for signing memorabilia lol

Imagine what he would've got had he gone to Norf

An empty packet of twisties floating in the wind...  :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 08:31:59 PM »
Just get Dane to interview Dusty. It would at least be organic and not diabolical like Bruce McAveney's brownlow interrogation
I thought Bruce's interview was one of the great afl moments this year. Really helped the football.world understand the real Dusty. But that opinion seems to be in the minority.

I just didn't think it was good form to ask him about what his father "means to him" when clearly Dustin would have loved nothing more than his father to be able to watch his games and be there to congratulate him. I felt it was a ridiculous question that didn't  need asking with a very obvious answer

I was hoping Dustin would ask Bruce about Daniel Kowalski as a reply

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 02:41:33 PM »
RICHMOND star Dustin Martin is officially a sellout. The full-house sign has already gone up on Martin’s first Evening With show at The Palms at Crown.

Martin will be interviewed by Dave Hughes at the up-close-and-personal event on Friday.

And there are plenty of Dusty fans wanting to hear from the champion Tiger.

But while a standard ticket started around $84, serious fans could buy a meet-and-greet package for $342.50.

They will be seated close enough to practically read Martin’s many and varied tattoos, receive a signed program, and get a photo with the Tigers premiership hero after­ the show.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/dustin-martin-live-interview-with-dave-hughes-at-crown/news-story/1d06dd8c71863eebfcbbfc7e95ee8ff8

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2017, 03:12:39 PM »
An Evening With Dustin Martin: Dusty tells all at Dave Hughes-hosted show

NUI TE KOHA,
Herald Sun
9 December 2017

AFL superstar Dustin Martin has opened up about his life and career in a tell-all theatre show detailing his road to success.

The show, An Evening With Dustin Martin, hosted by broadcaster and comedian Dave Hughes, showed a lighter and livelier side to the humble Tigers champion, Brownlow Medallist and Norm Smith Medallist.

This was not the Dustin Martin defined by recent headlines.

Instead, the format was a celebration of his past, and highly-acclaimed present, in front of a capacity crowd at Palms At Crown on Friday night.

It covered everything, from the time his parents Shane and Kathy lied about his age so he could do Auskick (“another mum dobbed us in, and I had to watch from the sidelines”) to the teachers who told him he wouldn’t amount to much (“I don’t remember their names, but they know who they are”).

Martin left school at 14, and had various jobs, including retail assistant at a clothing store. But his chronic shyness wasn’t a selling point with customers.

“People would come in to buy something, and I wouldn’t talk to them,” Martin said. “Sales went down.” Then there was the time he “left two arms off the mannequin.” He laughed: “That was the end of that.”

The night of the AFL draft, Martin disapproved of Kathy’s outfit and told her to go home and change.

He recalled: “She rocks up in this dress, with full make up, and full hair. I was like: ‘Mum, we’re going to the draft, not a bloody wedding!’’

He was drafted to the big league, of course. To cope with the stresses of football, and life, Martin says meditation has been invaluable.

“You usually get a bit of road rage when someone cuts in front of you,” he said. “After a nice hour of meditation, I’m like: ‘Yep you can merge …’”

His stellar 2017 was filled with surreal moments.

Martin said hype from commentators that he would win the Brownlow Medal caused unwanted distractions.

“You’d go into games thinking about it,” he said. “And you’re only thinking about it because people are talking about it.

“Then (Tigers player) Jacob Townsend came in and kicked six (goals), and I was like, ‘Don’t steal any of my votes!’

Martin said he asked a friend to hand write his Brownlow acceptance speech on a piece of paper, but later discovered: “Her (hand) writing was ridiculous. I couldn’t read it properly.”

He said winning the flag was “the best thing I’ve done in my life, a great feeling that’s indescribable, that you can’t put it into words.”

Asked to recall any stirring or inspirational words proffered by coach Damien Hardwick during the big dance, Martin said Dimma’s three-quarter time message was: “I effin’ love you guys.”

Martin also revealed he got an unexpected call of support — from jailed former AFL superstar Ben Cousins — before the Grand Final.

“I had this unknown number come up on my phone, and for some weird reason I answered it. It was from prison. It was Cuzzy,” Martin said.

“We had a little chat. He wanted to wish me well, and wish the boys well.”

Martin said his contract negotiation, with a big push from North Melbourne, was stressful.

He credited Shane, Kathy, and his manager Ralph Carr for their support.

“Our hearts were always with Richmond. We wanted to stay at Richmond, and the main focus was to win a flag,” Carr said. “ But the reality was, the North Melbourne deal was so big, we would have been silly not to entertain it.

“We looked at it seriously. It was a big decision for Dustin.”

Martin agreed. “It was very stressful … and challenging at times,” he said. “Most games, there was pressure to perform, with the contract on my mind. I was so drained mentally from it all.”

A reflective and introspective Martin quickly warmed to the spirit of his conversational tell-all with good-natured interrogator Hughes.

But special guest extrovert, former Collingwood star Dane Swan, almost stole the show with stories about their bromance.

“We met on Grindr,” Swan joked, referencing the gay hook-up app.

“We matched and away we went. Funnily enough, we didn’t meet in the library.”

They met — surprise, surprise — in a nightclub.

“We didn’t know each other, and it was getting late in the night,” Swan said.

“Sunday night?” Hughes asked.

“Probably Monday night,” Swan replied.

Indeed, the two have been inseparable, and their post-season trips to Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and beyond, are now routine.

Bleary eyed ol' mates Dustin Martin and Dane Swan jetted out of Melbourne today for their annual US pilgramge of partying.

Martin revealed one party they hosted in the Hollywood Hills that left a lasting impression on everybody.

“We had security guards, DJs and chefs,” Martin said. “A tattooist ended up at the house.”

Martin, Swan and three other friends staying at the house got ink of each other’s names on their bodies. Swan has it on his hip, Martin on his backside.

“I hate to make it about me, but we’ve (Swan and Martin) been away (on end of season trips) the last four or five years, and you look at a graph of his form,” Swan said. “It’s gone directly up!”

Martin will host another ‘in conversation’ show at Palms At Crown on March 3. Tickets are on sale now at www.ticketmaster.com.au

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/afl-superstar-dustin-martin-lifts-the-lid-on-his-life-and-career-in-a-sellout-theatre-show/news-story/7f17f4c959ac7b547d52c42e4e0f4c80

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2017, 03:39:07 PM »
Martin also revealed an unexpected call of support — from jailed ex-footballer Ben Cousins. “I had this unknown number come up on my phone, and for some weird reason I answered it. It was from prison. It was Cuzzy.

“We had a little chat. He wanted to wish me well, and wish the boys well.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/dustin-martin-discusses-dane-swan-tattoo-ben-cousins-phone-call-at-palms-at-crown/news-story/4f1ab8fbb5f2db1d3dd2709e655a9a55

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2017, 07:33:42 PM »
For the 2 seasons Cousins was at the club he had a big impact on the group and tigers a close to his heart.He would have been rapt with our flag.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2017, 07:40:19 PM »
For the 2 seasons Cousins was at the club he had a big impact on the group and tigers a close to his heart.He would have been rapt with our flag.

It really is a sad story. Cousins' oldest boy is a mad Tigers supporter.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2017, 07:26:47 AM »

I agree very sad.Hope this is the wakeup call he needed.I herd his son was in the rooms one game this season.I tell you what his dad Brian Cousins is unbelievable dad has never gave up on Ben.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2017, 07:59:54 AM »

I agree very sad.Hope this is the wakeup call he needed.I herd his son was in the rooms one game this season.I tell you what his dad Brian Cousins is unbelievable dad has never gave up on Ben.
How can you give up on your own flesh and blood?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2017, 01:53:18 PM »

If your kid comes home one night and he says dad....I'm barracking for Carlton - you'd put him out on his arse in no time. The Young man will be homeless and hungry but at least he'll have his bluze and their 12th position on the ladder.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 06:37:46 PM »

If your kid comes home one night and he says dad....I'm barracking for Carlton - you'd put him out on his arse in no time. The Young man will be homeless and hungry but at least he'll have his bluze and their 12th position on the ladder.
My kids also have yellow and black blood. It's in the genes.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 04:10:48 AM »
Last chance to hear from me talking all things family friends footy and life before the season gets underway !! Also some stories from me and @swandane quiet trips to Vegas 😜

https://twitter.com/DustinMartin4/status/961184351244337152

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 07:19:22 PM »
Further to the thread about Dusty's new sponsorship deal, this is the sort of thing where you have to give credit to Carr for monetizing his worth.

I would have thought putting a DVD on sale including footage from the last one and this one would be a nice little earner.
Requires nothing extra from Dusty and allows people unable or unwilling to attend to get the direct thoughts of the biggest player in the game in an environment where he's confident.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 12:05:47 AM »
I reckon Carr might be starting to go a bit too far with this.

Part of the reason people warm to Dusty is that he is very personal and so he has a bit of mystique about him.

Opening him up to the public through all this exposure, but specifically the stuff the reveals the Dusty behind the images, you kind of lose that. And it simply doesn't seem to be the real Dusty.

I get that he is looking to cash in for his client, but it needs to be managed for longer term benefit.

Right now, I can see the public going into Dusty burn out. Indeed, if he keeps dominating the competition, I can see people even turning against him if this high level marketing approach continues.

Just my thoughts.......

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2018, 06:54:02 AM »
Further to the thread about Dusty's new sponsorship deal, this is the sort of thing where you have to give credit to Carr for monetizing his worth.

I would have thought putting a DVD on sale including footage from the last one and this one would be a nice little earner.
Requires nothing extra from Dusty and allows people unable or unwilling to attend to get the direct thoughts of the biggest player in the game in an environment where he's confident.

I am sure if Ralph could he would

But he can't .... has no rights to any AFL footage. To do it he would need to do a deal which means he would lose out on $$
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)