Author Topic: Dustin Martin... An Evening With @ Crown (ticketmaster)  (Read 5914 times)

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin... An Evening With @ Crown (ticketmaster)
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2018, 01:49:56 PM »
WP I understand that but what I'm talking about is simply a video of the Q and A.
While you can't use AFL footage (well you can, but it is probably too expensive) you only have an interview, same as on TV. I'd pay around $25 for that DVD of 3 hours.
I think you can use photos and maybe some footage as reasonable use of the rights to your own image.

Slipper I understand what you're talking about but, this is where Carr is different.
Every other player needs the TV panels and interviews to raise their profile and thus their income from deals.
Dusty does not.

Why give the TV shows the value of your presence when primarily the show are the only ones benefiting.
The $50K fee for the re-signing announcement is the prime example.
It added to the value of The Footy Show as the newsbreaker and added to their ratings/ads sell/credibility etc.
You want that, you pay.
This is where the conflict is happening. Gale wants to get the publicity, Carr wants the money.

This is where I think Carr is leaning.
Dusty will not do panel shows like the Footy Show where he is reduced to one of the 3 stooges.
It means he can control the format and style, just like he did with the signing report. (Pre-filmed and thus edited in a pool room setting with the interviewers chatting casually) 

As I've said before, this is VERY common with music and movie people.
Control your environment and you control your clients image.

The other one from music is a limit on use of image. Big stars will have media groups sign contracts before interviews and photo shoots where use is limited to one or two uses before the product reverts to the act. The TV shows and magazines don't really care that much cause they just want a story for that issue. Haven't you seen the "Countdown" re-runs on the ABC. They actually are sorry they threw away a lot of the footage from the 70's and 80's. The act can recycle the product years later in a coffee table book or DVD.

This is where Bowie's notorious NY "vault" comes in. He told me in 1984 that he already had enough to make about 5 or 6 coffee table books (photos and interviews). He also released two documentaries covering separate 5 year periods of his career. He had the rights and controlled all the footage, including film clips.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2018, 03:55:36 PM »
WP I understand that but what I'm talking about is simply a video of the Q and A.
While you can't use AFL footage (well you can, but it is probably too expensive) you only have an interview, same as on TV. I'd pay around $25 for that DVD of 3 hours.
I think you can use photos and maybe some footage as reasonable use of the rights to your own image.

Got it. though I think any form of footage new need the broadcasters permission

Slipper I understand what you're talking about but, this is where Carr is different.
Every other player needs the TV panels and interviews to raise their profile and thus their income from deals.
Dusty does not.

Why give the TV shows the value of your presence when primarily the show are the only ones benefiting.
The $50K fee for the re-signing announcement is the prime example.
It added to the value of The Footy Show as the newsbreaker and added to their ratings/ads sell/credibility etc.
You want that, you pay.
This is where the conflict is happening. Gale wants to get the publicity, Carr wants the money.

This is where I think Carr is leaning.
Dusty will not do panel shows like the Footy Show where he is reduced to one of the 3 stooges.
It means he can control the format and style, just like he did with the signing report. (Pre-filmed and thus edited in a pool room setting with the interviewers chatting casually) 

Pretty sure Dusty has signed a deal to appear on the Footy Show in 2018, most likely as a panelist. It is all part of the deal Carr did to enabled the Footy Show to do their "exclusive" with Dusty about he contract re-signing
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2018, 07:23:24 PM »
Pretty sure Dusty has signed a deal to appear on the Footy Show in 2018, most likely as a panelist. It is all part of the deal Carr did to enabled the Footy Show to do their "exclusive" with Dusty about he contract re-signing
If true, that's a deal that Carr has obviously decided best benefits he and his client.
That's their choice. Personally I would have not done such a deal.
As Slipper pointed out, there is a risk of lowering Dusty's value by over-exposure.

I would have maintained severe restrictions to maintain value.
That would mean NOT going on any of the Fox Sport programs, Footy Show or Footy Classified.
Part of his deal with Richmond and the AFL requires him to do media, but it is nowhere like a half hour spot on the Footy Show.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2018, 12:50:08 AM »
Last chance to hear from me talking all things family friends footy and life before the season gets underway !! Also some stories from me and @swandane quiet trips to Vegas 😜

https://twitter.com/DustinMartin4/status/961184351244337152

"Great afternoon yesterday listening to a very humble @DustinMartin4 ..one thing is very clear, he knew what he wanted to be growing up..a champion footy player! Achieved! Well done Dusty! #gotiges #dustinmartin 💪🐯 #persistance"

https://twitter.com/Potts40/status/970118530438844418

dwaino

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2018, 06:59:22 AM »
I enjoyed it. Dane Swan was a ripper too. They allowed for photos after it with the cup so I finally got to see and touch it. That thing has sure done the rounds.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2018, 07:18:35 PM »
AFL great Sam Newman has lifted the lid on the biggest deal in league history, revealing what really convinced Dustin Martin to stay at Richmond. And from this moment on, Tiger fans should be thanking Dane Swan for making sure Dusty remained in the yellow and black. With the potential to stay at Richmond on one side ...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/sam-newman-explains-how-dane-swan-convinced-dustin-martin-to-stay-at-richmond/news-story/682fe2f406f70caeddffe9a503515544

dwaino

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2018, 08:19:54 PM »
From what Carr said on the night Dusty always wanted to stay but the difference between the offers in the end was $3million. That sort of money had to be considered so Carr had to work out how to make up the difference should he stay. That was obviously the Bonds and Puma sponsorships, the appearances on the Footy Show and that evening thing. Dusty said he only asked Swan about being a one club player.

Going by what Newman said on MMM this morning then he and Carr will talk about it again this week on the Footy Show.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond