Author Topic: Can the celebrations, Hodge tells flag Tigers (afl site/SEN)  (Read 3132 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Can the celebrations, Hodge tells flag Tigers (afl site/SEN)
« on: October 30, 2017, 11:57:18 AM »
Can the celebrations, Hodge tells flag Tigers

afl.com.au/SEN
30 October 2017

FOUR-TIME premiership star Luke Hodge has warned Richmond's flag heroes to set a time limit on their celebrations or risk plummeting down the ladder.

Hodge, a Tigers fan growing up, was a key member of the Hawthorn side that missed the finals in 2009, a year after winning the first of four flags under master coach Alastair Clarkson.

The Western Bulldogs this year became the first club since those Hawks to miss the finals following their drought-breaking 2016 premiership.

Richmond will attempt to avoid the same fate after its unlikely charge to the 2017 flag, capped with victory over minor premier Adelaide in the Grand Final.

"I think you've got to go and celebrate it, you've got to go and have fun – and what they've achieved, the Richmond Football Club, was outstanding," Hodge told SEN.

"But what you've got to do is make sure you do it for two weeks, you might do it for three weeks, but there has got to be a cut-off point.

"You have to sort of say, 'From now on, we have to start focusing on next year', because in October, November you can't win the premiership, but you can lose it."

Hodge said he and his Hawthorn teammates discovered the hard way how costly a compromised pre-season can be on the upcoming campaign.

"We celebrated for six, eight, 10 weeks (after the 2008 Grand Final), thinking, 'We're a young team and we can do this year in, year out' – it's not that easy, " he said.

"Hopefully they've enjoyed their time, but put the premiership medals away. Pull them back out when you finish your career, but from now on you focus on 2018 and move on and prepare for a better season next year."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-30/can-the-celebrations-hodge-tells-flag-tigers

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Can the celebrations, Hodge tells flag Tigers (afl site/SEN)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 01:14:29 PM »
If only Broad had put his medal away earlier....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 04:02:23 PM »
Fair enough, I want more
Doesn't mean I have to stop yet though

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 04:37:03 PM »
If only Broad had put his medal away earlier....
:lol

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 07:27:23 PM »
He had me at Hodge was a Tigers fan growing up....if only....
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 10:01:51 PM »
I'm sorry but I find it hard to take seriously a player who retires and then gets traded to Brisbane!!! 

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 10:17:05 PM »
I'm sorry but I find it hard to take seriously a player who retires and then gets traded to Brisbane!!!

Kidding???

Absolute champion and one of the most inspirational players in memory

Legend who knows what it takes

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 10:44:42 PM »

Very astute by the Lions, convincing him to play on

Great pick up, will be great for the young lion cubs. Just what they need
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 11:06:40 PM »
I find it interesting that so many in the football industry were saying that Dusty should resign with the Tigers because being a one club player is worth so much more after your career is finished. Seems like  lot of players are not that worried about it.

Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge to name but two.

Must admit I don't see why Hodge would go up there, but he obviously has his reasons. Would he really be getting that much money to play a season or two with the Lions? And he can probably do just as much for the off the field as on it.

Regardless, I reckon it is a coup for the Lions any which way you look at it.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 11:42:50 PM »
If I knew that Jeff Kennett was coming back to Whoreforn ... I'd play for Brissy too ...    :-\
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 01:11:14 PM »
I find it interesting that so many in the football industry were saying that Dusty should resign with the Tigers because being a one club player is worth so much more after your career is finished. Seems like  lot of players are not that worried about it.

I think there's a huge difference between playing 10+ years at one club and then spending 1-2 years at another when you're way past your prime (and in some cases not wanted by the club) compared to jumping ship when you're in your prime which would have been Dusty's situation.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 02:22:11 PM »

I think there's a huge difference between playing 10+ years at one club and then spending 1-2 years at another when you're way past your prime (and in some cases not wanted by the club) compared to jumping ship when you're in your prime which would have been Dusty's situation.
Exactly.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 11:09:52 PM »

I don't know. What you are saying makes sense, but then even guys like Mitchell and Hodge going to another club late, to me anyway, have lost that one club aura. I guess I am just a traditionalist, but I like it when a champion plays his entire career at one club.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 04:38:23 AM »
Carey was a roo
Douggie a dog

Been plenty that have done it