Author Topic: Who your club selected in past drafts with picks it has in 2017 (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2101 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL draft history: Who your club selected in past drafts with picks it has in 2017

Al Paton,
Herald Sun
14 November 2017

HAS Richmond got the best hand in the draft?

The Tigers don’t have a pick in the top 10 but based on their history with two selections in the 50s they have at next week’s event, fans can be confident there will be some talent headed to Punt Rd.

Remarkably, the Tigers have used picks 53 and 55 nine times in draft history and selected players including former skipper Chris Newman, best-and-fairest winner Dan Jackson and the talented but injury-cursed Mark Dragicevic.

But the best of the lot was just 12 months ago, when Richmond had pick 53 and used it on South Australian under-18 captain Jack Graham. Eleven months later he is a premiership hero.

RICHMOND

Pick 17 — 1986: Trent Nichols

Pick 20 — 2004: Dean Polo

Pick 25 — 2000: Mark Coughlan

Pick 53 — 1987: Andrew Wisken, 1997: Lionel Proctor, 2003: Dan Jackson, 2016: Jack Graham

Pick 55 — 1991: Glenn Hoffman, 1996: Steve McKee, 1998: Mark Dragicevic, 2000: Chris Newman, 2011: Matt Arnot

A pretty handy list considering Richmond’s less than stellar draft reputation. The 50s picks are super impressive, Mark Coughlan was a gun until knee problems ended his career and speedy left-footed Tasmanian Trent Nicholls was a good get considering half the top 20 in the first ever draft never played a game.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/who-your-club-selected-in-past-drafts-with-picks-it-has-in-2017/news-story/72bc7c699dcab3d054ecc63a8171c996

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Was a big fan of Coughlan as a kid and very sad when his career fell away.

Huge fan of Jackson too. Need hard guys like him, Tuck and King in every side...

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Hackson would've been exposed under the current system of quick ball movement plus real tackling, shepherding & toughness rather than fake attempts at it .... :shh

Tucky would've either played Caddy or even Townsend's role but more likely be stuck in the VFL like Miles.... :shh :shh

King would've thrived...upgrade on Castagna... :shh :shh :shh
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 03:00:06 PM by Diocletian »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Dougeytherichmondfan

Hackson would've been exposed under the current system of quick ball movement plus real tackling, shepherding & toughness rather than fake attempts at it .... :shh
Jackson was as tough as they come???  :huh

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
Gut punching unsuspecting opponents right in front of umpires isn't tough.....running into fights just as they're stopping...nope not tough either.....barely tackling and rarely laying a shepherd despite being the so-called "midfield enforcer".....to use the seppo sporting venacular of which you're so fond - strike three, you're out buddy...... :shh

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:13:27 PM by Diocletian »

- Gustav Mahler

Dougeytherichmondfan

Gut punching unsuspecting opponents right in front of umpires isn't tough.....running into fights just as they're stopping...nope not tough either.....barely tackling and rarely laying a shepherd despite being the so-called "midfield enforcer".....to use the seppo sporting venacular of which you're so fond - strike three, you're out buddy...... :shh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggrH-T4t1f0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Wru7kJxZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RhC3DRwQxg

Yeah, a real "softie" was Jacko.

Right up there with Dylan Grimes for softness.

Oh, and he won the BnF in '13, when everyone agreed our gameplan was aggressive and free flowing. Retired when he still had miles in the legs but didn't wanna stand in the way of the younger kids. What a selfish prick!

Represent(s)ed the club with the utmost professionalism and decorum off the field.

That's a foul ball if ever I've seen one.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
Haha stuff me three whole youtube clips eh?  Bet I could find at least that many of BEllis & Houli just from the recent final series alone......does that make them noted tough players now too? (and no I'm not saying he was as "soft"as  they've been for most of their careers)

As for the B&F ...please...said more about the club at the time than him....and our pressure & defensive accountabilty wasn't even close to what iit was this year......jeez...

Don't give a stuff about his off field professionalism & "decorum", his love of fine wine or his much-vaunted high VCE score either..,,has stuff all to do with his actual footbal which is what's being discussed here...

Try again Howard Cosell... :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
I watched one of the highlights and it reminded me of an era we were a laughable "force".
Having said that, I don't recall a player who took short steps. Just one who had limitations and then spat the dummy and retiref
 Sh
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
Yeah not so much about him taking short steps in general play -although I clearly remember him doing it at least once v  Adelaide in 2008 , last time I went to game over there,.. (was Mcleod's 300th & Bowden's 250th)  but then so's nearly every AFL player at least once. - was more all  the bluff & bluster he went on with and the stupid undisciplined crap when he rarely did the real hard one percenter stuff -as not too many of our players did back then or in fact, it could be argued, right up until last year - but for the so-called "enforcer" and big-bodied hard man of the midfield as he was proclaimed by many, it really stood out for me....f.e .he'd rarely protect the silk or sacrifice his own game like Caddy,  Prestia, Townsend, Rioli and the other smalls and even Cotchin himself does...speaking of whom, really makes his 2012 Brownlow all the more remarkable.... :shh

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:02:47 AM by Diocletian »

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Jackson was a player with limitation, as was Tuck, but you surely can't say they weren't prepared to put their bodies on the line for the club. Same with King.

Always 3 of my favourite players.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Retired when he still had miles in the legs but didn't wanna stand in the way of the younger kids. What a selfish prick!

In the lead up to one of our big finals because he couldn't get a gig? Yeah real unselfish

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
It is wonderful how time dims the light of actuality

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.

Pointing out the dumb stuff he did off the ball doesn't really have any baring on whether he was tough in the contest or not.

I wasn't a huge Jacko fan but he was hard at it, despite frustrating brain fades.