Author Topic: Could Vickery compo pick Shai Bolton be best Richmond recruit of 2016? (H-Sun)  (Read 2802 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Could Ty Vickery compo pick Shai Bolton be the best Richmond recruit of a star-studded 2016 trade period?

Michael Randall
Herald Sun
16 November 2017

TY Vickery was a mocked and maligned figure at Richmond — some of it perhaps deserved, some not.

But a parting gift to the Tigers could help his sins be forgiven.

Vickery skipped Punt Rd for Waverley on a two-year deal at the end of 2016, playing just six games at Hawthorn, before retiring yesterday with a year to run on his contract.

The Tigers received pick No.29 as compensation for the forward’s departure and used that to draft a raw kid from South Fremantle.

At just 18, Shai Bolton represents the future at Richmond, while Vickery is the faded shadow of a past Tiger fans would rather forget.

As much as the likes of Toby Nankervis, Dion Prestia, Josh Caddy and Jack Graham helped Richmond break a 37-year premiership drought with the 2017 Grand Final win over Adelaide, mention the name Shai Bolton and the hearts of the Tiger faithful begin to race.

It’s not so much for what he has done so far — six AFL games, the same as Vickery in 2017 — but the flashes of the remarkable he has shown.

Premiership player David King has the highest of praise for Bolton, calling him the prototype for the modern game.

“He’s the way the game’s going,” King said.

“A gifted small forward that puts on enormous pressure who can mark overhead and generate turnovers with his defensive speed.

“I think when you’re assessing the generations, what’s actually required right now with football, he’s the prototype of what you’re looking for — if not probably two or three inches taller would be ideal, but certainly he doesn’t lack for anything because of his lack of size.”

Bolton passes the eye test.

You only have to ask Sydney after the youngster tore them to shreds in the first half of their Round 13 clash at the MCG.

Bolton was the No.1 ranked player on the ground at the main break, with 56 SuperCoach points and a pair of highlight reel goals.

One of those had a Tiger legend named Kevin Bartlett written all over it.

Bolton — one of the quickest players in the game — burst into the forward 50 and scragged the pill from a marking contest at full speed, streaked away from his chasers, took a bounce and then calmly slotted it through on the right boot.

He’s obviously a long way from achieving the greatness of KB, but it is those flashes that have Tiger fans excited.

The twist is, he inherited the No.29 — made famous by Bartlett across 403 games — from the departed Vickery.

Superstar teammate Dustin Martin has taken Bolton under his wing, the pair sharing agents in Ralph Carr.

With Daniel Rioli already solidified in the Tigers’ best 18, his mate Bolton is not far behind.

And they are set to form a pressure-packed small forward pairing, with Bolton averaging 27.9 forward half pressure points per game, above the AFL average, according to Champion Data.

King says he will be staggered if a fully-fit Bolton isn’t in the Tigers’ Round 1 side in 2018.

“He’s got more talent than some of those premiership small forwards from 2017, there’s no doubt about that,” King said.

“If I were a (Jason) Castagna, or a (Dan) Butler, or a (Jacob) Townsend, I’d be a bit nervous about what this guy can do and where he’s likely to go in his next 40-50 games, but that’s the beauty of a good football club.

“I’d be surprised if he wasn’t a 20 game player next year.”

Bolton has served his apprenticeship in the VFL, playing 14 games and booting 23 goals, including a five-goal, 11-score involvement mammoth against Werribee in Round 13 that yielded 132 SuperCoach points from his 16 disposals (11 contested). He kicked two goals in three of the Tigers four VFL finals.

The Tigers basically gave up pick No.6 (became pick No.7 Jack Scrimshaw), Vickery and a well past his prime Brett Deledio for the remarkable haul of Caddy, Nankervis, Prestia, Graham and Bolton at the end of 2016.

That last name might just turn out to be the best of the lot.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/could-ty-vickery-compo-pick-shai-bolton-be-the-best-richmond-recruit-of-a-starstudded-2016-trade-period/news-story/7037f15d08ae9b6df942dada44a933e5

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Prestia has 3 or 4 good years left. Graham has his whole career which IMHO will be 200 games barring injury.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Hope Shai gets settled in Melb and gets plenty of game time next yr

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Voted Graham but only because I can't be sure how long Bolton will be here.... :shh
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:25:36 PM by Diocletian »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
There seems to be some thoughts on here that Bolton is not happy at the Tigers, or at the very least thinking of moving home.

Is this really the case?

I thought he was pretty happy at the Tigers?

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Prestia has 3 or 4 good years left.

Why do you say that?

Dougeytherichmondfan

There seems to be some thoughts on here that Bolton is not happy at the Tigers, or at the very least thinking of moving home.

Is this really the case?

I thought he was pretty happy at the Tigers?
I've heard he's pretty happy as well.

Think its more predicated on him using the "go home" factor if the weagles or freo offer him a big overs contract. Ralph Carr is his manager so all bets are that it'll be another sideshow.  :rollin

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
I think everyone is forgetting about the red wog.

Conca will be like a new recruit next year. Training the house down already.   :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
He is set to have the best three games of his career

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟

Conca will be like a new recruit next year. Training the house down already.   :rollin

The Rog? Cant wait til he belts someone in the back of the head AGAIN

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame

The Rog? Cant wait til he belts someone in the back of the head AGAIN

If he does it again it needs to be properly done next time