Author Topic: Young and restless: A look at Richmond's up-and-comers (afl site)  (Read 4010 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Young and restless: A look at your club's up-and-comers

Nathan Schmook
afl.com.au
18 November 2017

WHICH of your club's young players is primed to take the next step? Who needs a big pre-season?

Our writers take a comprehensive look at each club's players from the 2014 draft and later, assessing their early pre-season form, picking those set for a big 2018 and identifying those in need of a big summer.

RICHMOND

Producing six premiership players from their first-to-fourth-year group is a ringing endorsement of the Tigers' recruiting. It's a group that has the club's list in a strong position, with eight players entering their fourth season in 2018, five their third season, and four going into their second year. There is leadership potential in Jack Graham, a mature-age gem in Kane Lambert, and an exciting group of small forwards coming through together in Daniel Rioli, Dan Butler, Shai Bolton, Tyson Stengle and Jason Castagna. The Tigers will be keen to add key position talent to their young stocks soon, with 193cm rookie forward Callum Moore and 192cm defender Ryan Garthwaite alone among the group. Ivan Soldo is the only developing ruckman.

On the list: 17

AFL experience: Kane Lambert (52 games), Daniel Rioli (43), Jayden Short (32), Jason Castagna (30), Connor Menadue (28), Dan Butler (23), Corey Ellis (23), Oleg Markov (15), Nathan Broad (12), Ivan Soldo (7), Shai Bolton (6), Nathan Drummond (5), Jack Graham (5), Callum Moore (2), Tyson Stengle (2), Mabior Chol (1), Ryan Garthwaite (0)

The standout: Daniel Rioli

One to watch: Jack Graham

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-18/young-and-restless-who-are-your-clubs-upandcomers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Young and restless: A look at Richmond's up-and-comers (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 10:57:52 PM »
A huge bonus to have six premiership players who still have further development and their best footy ahead of them.

Short, Menadue and Ellis will need to have breakout years playing mostly senior footy or be at risk of being moved on this time next year.

I know we won the flag with smalls but the lack of KPPs in that list of 17 stands out. We need to develop the next generation in readiness for when Jack & Rance eventually retire in a few years time.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 07:26:50 AM »
A huge bonus to have six premiership players who still have further development and their best footy ahead of them.

Short, Menadue and Ellis will need to have breakout years playing mostly senior footy or be at risk of being moved on this time next year.

I know we won the flag with smalls but the lack of KPPs in that list of 17 stands out. We need to develop the next generation in readiness for when Jack & Rance eventually retire in a few years time.   

Let's not forget Bolton, Stengle and I have hope that Callum Moore will be a player that can play a Jack type role in years to come
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 02:40:53 PM »
Drummond will need a big year next year otherwise he faces being moved on.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 10:37:25 PM »

I rate the guy, but he faces an uphill battle. Miles hardly played this year, and he is ahead of Drummond.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 11:58:47 PM »

I rate the guy, but he faces an uphill battle. Miles hardly played this year, and he is ahead of Drummond.
It'll all depend on how he returns after the knee. Any issues connected with it and sadly his AFL career will over before it's started. Hopefully, the knee is fine and he gets a good run and can show next year what he can do. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 12:45:31 AM »

Let's not forget Bolton, Stengle and I have hope that Callum Moore will be a player that can play a Jack type role in years to come
I hope Bolton develops into a midfielder who can 'rest' up forward.

Stengle is competing with our other small forwards ahead of him - Rioli, Butler and Castagna. If Rioli plays more midfield then a spot may open up for him sooner.

I know others here rate Moore but I'm not as convinced yet. He doesn't have the tricks that Jack has.  Having said that it's still early days. He's just turned 21 in September.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 09:54:10 AM »
If i was to predict who is going to develop into a fiest 22 player for us id back in Menadue over Ellis Jnr. Also i think Callum Moore will suprise alot of  people in 2018.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 01:27:50 PM »
At least one of CEllis, Menadue or Markov won't be here in 2019....bookmark it.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 01:03:16 AM »
Did anyone like the look of mannagh in the vfl side? 

From what I saw of him he looks like he’s got some grunt.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 06:46:59 PM »
Callum Moore was really impressive in the VFL Final series. I really hope he continues to develop positively.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 07:56:09 PM »
Callum Moore was really impressive in the VFL Final series. I really hope he continues to develop positively.

I haven't seen much of him, but it is great that we are finally in a real position to let some players do a proper apprenticeship in the VFL.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 12:38:16 AM »
Did anyone like the look of mannagh in the vfl side? 

From what I saw of him he looks like he’s got some grunt.
I thought he stood out too in the games I saw, Tigeritis. He was able to hit the scoreboard. Having said that, we have a lot of smalls on our list already which will probably go against him as far as us drafting him.