Author Topic: Noah Balta [merged]  (Read 118367 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Noah Balta [merged]
« Reply #300 on: October 17, 2020, 12:02:52 AM »
Good come back after two mediocre games..... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #301 on: October 17, 2020, 04:57:10 AM »
For 20 year old KPP so confident in his ability and so much talent.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #302 on: October 17, 2020, 06:19:00 AM »
Noah Balta

This guy is going to be special if he isn’t already. Held Charlie Dixon to just the one goal and helped generate plenty of attack. Huge in the Prelim.

Rating: 8

Source: Foxsports

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #303 on: October 17, 2020, 06:23:54 AM »
20-year-old defender Noah Balta – the only Tiger playing without a flag – completely dominated 2020 All-Australian Charlie Dixon forward despite giving up 6cm and 7kg. Dixon managed one goal early in the final term but was held to 10 disposals.

Balta
11 disposals (10k, 1h, 6c, 6u, 54.5%)
3 marks (2 contested)
1 centre clearance
2 inside 50s
1 tackle
6 intercepts
4 score involvements
366 metres gained
1 free for
3 frees against
1 goal assist
1 behind

Dixon
9 disposals (6k, 3h, 7c, 3u, 44.4%)
4 marks (3 contested)
1 inside 50
3 tackles
2 score involvements
140 metres gained
2 frees for
1 goal

Source: AFL website

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #304 on: October 17, 2020, 09:45:02 AM »
Was easily BOG for mine
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #305 on: October 17, 2020, 10:53:22 AM »
Was easily BOG for mine

Agree with this- was sensational and kept Dixon out of the game which was a huge result for us last night.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #306 on: October 21, 2020, 01:34:15 PM »
Noah Balta could celebrate his 21st birthday with a premiership. He is Richmond’s next big thing and will be the youngest player in the Grand Final. But Balta isn’t the new Alex Rance as the Tigers reveal how they’ve restructured down back:

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-grand-final-all-the-news-and-team-speculation-out-of-the-richmond-camp-in-the-lead-up-to-the-big-dance/news-story/1701446526b1f4d5b5c714c3130cd4d1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #307 on: October 22, 2020, 07:04:34 PM »
Emerging Tigers gun Noah Balta his own man

Shayne Hope
AAP
Thursday, 22 October 2020 5:16 pm

As he prepares for his first AFL grand final, athletic beast Noah Balta is still some way off the complete defensive package Richmond expect he will become.

And despite the obvious comparisons being drawn, he's not a clone of former champion Alex Rance.

But the emerging star, who turns 21 on Friday, is already a crucial piece of the Tigers' unusual eight-man defensive puzzle.

They've just got to iron out a few kinks.

"He's had moments where he's done unbelievable things," Richmond defender Nick Vlastuin told AAP.

"Then he's had moments where he probably wishes he could take them back, kicked it straight up the guts a couple of times and stuff like that.

"It's been fun along the way and he's just so athletic, you can always get some highlights out of him."

Balta, already a 194cm and 100kg phenomenon, will be the youngest player in Saturday night's grand final against Geelong and is the only Tiger still chasing his first premiership.

He arrived on the AFL scene in round one last year in what turned out to be Rance's final game, when the five-time All-Australian was cut down by a knee injury.

It became a changing of the guard and the comparisons were inevitable as Balta worked his way into the vacant position.

They were validated by Richmond coach Damien Hardwick's declaration earlier this year that Balta is a "young Alex Rance".

But fellow key defender David Astbury notes some clear differences and believes the 29-gamer is poised to forge his own identity out of the shadow of one of the modern game's great backmen.

"Noah's marginally more athletic, whereas Rancey would just beat you up for days with discipline and stubbornness," Astbury told AAP.

"Noah is just a young bloke trying to find his way, but by goodness he's got some potential and we want to maximise that.

"At different stages throughout games he shows his physical attributes and they're just extraordinary.

"He's still got quite a ceiling to reach and right now, even though he's playing some really good footy, he's still a fair way off it."

Balta played 13 games last year - reviewing tape of each one of them with Rance by his side offering guidance - but missed selection for the successful finals series.

His true emergence came this year when Astbury spent almost three months on the sidelines with a knee injury.

Balta stepped up and blunted some of the game's best key forwards, including Charlie Dixon, Jeremy Cameron, Matt Taberner and Max King.

"For a guy his age he's probably as (physically) mature and strong as anyone I've ever seen really," Richmond defensive coach Justin Leppitsch said.

"He's got a lot of upside and there's a long way to go in his career and a lot of achievements to be had, but for a guy his age to be able to play on mature guys like Charlie Dixon and match them in that strength battle is a really good sign.

"Where can Noah improve? Like anything in time, maturity and decision-making, all those sorts of things. They're things you get better at the more you do."

In round 17, when Richmond last met Geelong and scored a convincing 26-point win, Balta limited likely grand final opponent Tom Hawkins to one goal despite his relative inexperience against the 14-season veteran.

"He's a great player and he's got a lot of talent and attributes," Coleman medallist Hawkins said.

"In the past I've played on Alex Rance and David Astbury ... but Noah's a great athlete and from what I've seen of him he reads the game pretty well."

Astbury's return to action late this season, coupled with ruckman Ivan Soldo's knee injury, has seen Hardwick and Leppitsch tweak their defensive approach yet again as part of an ongoing evolution.

Selecting eight defenders in the best 22 has allowed Astbury to offer Toby Nankervis some relief by pinch-hitting in the ruck.

Balta, Astbury, Vlastuin, Dylan Grimes, Nathan Broad, Jayden Short, Bachar Houli and Liam Baker will all roll through the back line during the grand final.

"Change is good sometimes and over the last couple of years in the absence of Rancey, who was a once-in-a-generation player, the system has still worked," Astbury said.

"Noah's done such a remarkable job and I'm enormously proud of that man.

"He's really invested in the culture and what we believe in here and he's also really invested in his own development, and that's why we're seeing such rapid growth."

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/emerging-tigers-gun-noah-balta-his-own-man-c-1436808

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Noah Balta pays tribute to Richmond mentor Alex Rance ahead of AFL grand final

Shayne Hope and Anna Harrington
AAP
23 October 2020 1:22 pm

It’s been the better part of two AFL seasons since Alex Rance last laced up the boots in Richmond’s backline.

But the retired champion will still have his fingerprints all over a small part of another premiership if the Tigers overcome Geelong on Saturday night.

Despite leaving the club at the end of last year, Rance has continued to be a mentor to emerging star Noah Balta, who has stepped up to replace the five-time All-Australian in the back half.

“Last year, every single review I had, Rancey would just sit next to me and analyse my game and see where I could be better,” Balta told AAP.

“I felt towards the end of the year we had confidence in my game and I could finally be a backman in the team that I’m in at the moment.

“So I’m forever grateful to him for helping me the way he did. He just did it off his own back. He still talks to me over the phone, messages, things like that.”

Rance suffered a serious knee injury in round one last year - the same game in which Balta made his debut.

Since then, the powerfully built 21-year-old has played 29 games and stamped himself as Richmond’s next big thing.

He is now preparing for his maiden grand final as the only Tiger in the best 22 who is yet to snare a premiership.

“I’ve watched a lot of his (Rance’s) games as well, watching the way he plays,” Balta said, adding that fellow defenders Dylan Grimes and David Astbury had played important roles in his development.

“(Rance’s retirement is) a blessing in disguise but I’ve taken the opportunity and hopefully the Tiger fans like me just as much.”

Balta was taken at pick 25 in the 2017 draft as a versatile key position player who could fill roles at both ends of the ground.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has finally settled on playing Balta in defence, and that stability has done wonders for his game.

“Last year when I had my 13 games, I was going into the games not sure, not having clarity on where I was going to play and it’s hard to prepare yourself for games like that,” Balta said.

“So this year it’s a lot easier, it’s pretty straightforward, I know what I’ve got to do and it’s fun playing.”

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/rance-in-baltas-afl-grand-final-corner-c-1441975

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #309 on: October 25, 2020, 06:25:02 AM »
Noah Balta – 6
Out-pointed early by Tom Hawkins, occasionally getting caught trailing behind, but played with more freedom once moved into the ruck. Took an important mark in defence with about five minutes to go when the Cats were pressing. Finishes with a flag in his maiden Grand Final.

Source: AFL website

Noah Balta

Won the first battle of the game with Hawkins, but had a few clangers in the opening half. Was pushed into the ruck early in a move which looked like it was done to help him settle.

Rating: 4

Source: Foxsports

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #310 on: October 25, 2020, 08:32:36 AM »
Turn 21 on Friday got a flag already big future.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #311 on: October 25, 2020, 09:42:04 AM »
Lucky Hawkins didn't kick better but largely solid game.

Wowsers he looks good when you move him up the ground.

Been saying it a long time, would love to see him on a wing/ruck relief if we can get away with Ast/Grimes/Broad in the backline.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #312 on: October 25, 2020, 10:21:02 AM »
I thought he was sensational again. Pushed Hawkins to the boundary which made those shots on goal so much harder.
Clearly beat the best key forward in the comp this year for a second time in 6 weeks
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #313 on: November 03, 2020, 04:09:48 AM »
As well as his first premiership medallion, Noah is also now a RFC life member.

Not bad 21st birthday presents  ;D.