Author Topic: Noah Balta [merged]  (Read 118217 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Noah Balta settles back into defence with outstanding results (HeraldSun)
« Reply #480 on: May 10, 2022, 12:13:48 PM »
Noah Balta settles back into defence with outstanding results as Richmond shows ominous form

Damien Hardwick has moved the magnets around to inspire Richmond’s form resurgence, with Noah Balta’s defensive return proving a hit.

Marc McGowan
May 10, 2022
NCA NewsWire

Noah Balta doesn’t know exactly what he is as a footballer but will be whatever coach Damien Hardwick wants.

Richmond’s 194cm swingman has settled in defence in the past fortnight with typically strong results after the Tigers partnered him up forward with Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt to start the season.

With Lynch leading the Coleman Medal and Riewoldt moving into 18th place for all-time goals, Hardwick said after Saturday’s 27-point defeat of Collingwood that he planned to keep Balta as a defender.

The numbers suggest that’s the right call, with Balta – who also performed back-up ruck duties while Ivan Soldo was out between rounds 4 to 6 – one of the AFL’s best interceptors.

The 22-year-old’s switch to defence, where he was a key cog in the 2020 premiership, has seen him average 4.5 intercept marks, eight marks and 450m gained, which all rate elite if he maintains that rate.

“I think I’m just used to (defence),” Balta told News Corp.

“I did the pre-season in the forward line but I think I’ll let Lynch and Riewoldt do that for now. Who knows? I might go back there this year. It’s just up to Dimma – whatever he thinks.

“It literally depends who we come up against. If there’s a tall backline, I’m usually back, but if they’ve got a small backline, I could go back to being a forward.”

Balta enjoys the unpredictability rather than being frustrated by it, admitting the jolt of a positional move maintained his focus.

“When I go back for too long – Dimma will always speak about this – sometimes my mindset drags away from the process of what I need to do,” he said.

“Then when I get flicked forward, I’m like, ‘OK, what do I have to do now?’. (Mindfulness coach) Emma Murray helped me with that and I’ve learned to see it as an opportunity instead of a negative.”

Balta’s move coincided with Richmond leaving out Robbie Tarrant and recalling 179cm speedster Maurice Rioli to play in attack.

The Tigers’ defence has gone from being one of the worst to about the middle since Balta went down there, while Rioli’s return – on top of Lynch’s form explosion – is part of the reason for their offensive surge.

His tackle pressure and creativity set up multiple Lynch goals against the Pies, and Richmond’s scoring has spiked from an average of 84 in the first six rounds to 139 in the last two weeks thanks to bulk marks inside 50.

It’s enough for Balta to believe the Tigers of old are back, with Hardwick’s famed system humming again and players’ confidence soaring.

Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin’s celebrated return on Saturday certainly helped both of those.

“Dustin is actually, inside the club, a very vibrant person,” Balta said.

“When he’s around, everyone just has a smile on their face. He’s just a legend to be around. And on-field, he’s just a gun. Everyone can see it, so he brings us up on the field and off it.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-noah-balta-settles-back-into-defence-with-outstanding-results-as-richmond-shows-ominous-form/news-story/c792e5835dd70ddbd7f55634870c0929

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Noah Balta [merged]
« Reply #481 on: May 14, 2022, 07:37:53 PM »
Disappointing to lose Noah down back just as we're building some momentum. I'd guess the one positive if there is one is he'll miss just the two games and get the extra week to come good due to the bye.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #482 on: June 16, 2022, 10:29:16 PM »
AFL website saying Balta has done his hammy.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #483 on: June 16, 2022, 11:24:13 PM »
Bad?

He didn't see to go down like he'd been shot

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #484 on: June 16, 2022, 11:55:24 PM »
Bad?

He didn't see to go down like he'd been shot

Hard to know

But it happened right in front of us, he grab at it as soon as he did that attempted kick along the ground

Certainly didn't limp to the boundary
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #485 on: June 17, 2022, 12:03:02 AM »
Damn just when I thought we’d have the whole list to chose from next week. Is a perfect matchup for Hawkins too.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #486 on: June 17, 2022, 06:26:51 AM »
Hasn’t he just come back from a hammy

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #487 on: June 17, 2022, 07:04:21 AM »
Jon Ralph post-game on Fox Footy reckons 5-6 weeks because it's the same hammy Noah just came back from.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #488 on: June 17, 2022, 07:39:53 AM »
That sucks.

What the hell Is going in with these repeat injuries. Dion at the start now Balta.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #489 on: June 17, 2022, 07:50:57 AM »
Let's hope not that long. I think Balta needs to. trim down a bit.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #490 on: June 17, 2022, 08:24:48 AM »
Watched him closely at the ground yesterday. Doesn’t look fit. Blows up a lot behind play. Not as lean as he should be.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #491 on: June 17, 2022, 08:46:06 AM »
Jon Ralph post-game on Fox Footy reckons 5-6 weeks because it's the same hammy Noah just came back from.

Ralph malf is a clueless numpty

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #492 on: June 20, 2022, 06:39:42 PM »
Noah Balta, hamstring

"Noah suffered a hamstring injury late in the game. Across the far side from us, he was near the boundary line and there was a ball on the ground and he was paddling at it and trying to accelerate at the same time, which is a difficult position to be in for a big guy, and he suffered a very minor hamstring injury in that process.

It's to the same leg as his previous injury a few weeks ago, but it is in a different spot.

So, it's pretty frustrating for him and for us, and (it's from) a different mechanism, his previous injury was kicking and this is running and trying to pick up a ground ball. But, there is probably some link there somewhere with his reconditioning, so we're going to have to go back and do a little bit more work in the gym with his strength-specific work and his hamstring conditioning as well as the functional movements...

He's already running today at a really good speed, so it's certainly not a long-term injury. But, we do need to tread lightly with it and be careful so that when he gets back next time, he stays back and plays the rest of the year for us."

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1153630/pilot-medical-update-round-15-2022

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #493 on: June 21, 2022, 02:22:56 PM »
What is his current playing weight? If he’s constantly pinging his hammy at this age does he need to drop 5kg? Or at least do we need to send him to the guy who fixed Grimes or Cyril?

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #494 on: June 21, 2022, 02:42:40 PM »
What is his current playing weight? If he’s constantly pinging his hammy at this age does he need to drop 5kg? Or at least do we need to send him to the guy who fixed Grimes or Cyril?

102 this year up from 100 last year.

And I reckon this year he's been worse off for form than last year.