Author Topic: Noah Balta [merged]  (Read 118238 times)

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Noah Balta [merged]
« Reply #705 on: August 14, 2023, 11:49:55 AM »
He did something like that I think it was last year against Josh Kennedy. He showed him no respect and forgot despite having the athleticim Josh Kennedy is a champion KPF and you can’t just play 20m off him and let him run and jump at the ball

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #706 on: August 14, 2023, 11:57:47 AM »
Justified criticism - but virtually the entire side was playing 20 + metres off their opponents. Our overly generous zoning is  a recipe for disaster at Marvel.  :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #707 on: August 14, 2023, 12:59:45 PM »
Whether or not the comparisons to Rance were warranted - can't help but wonder how Rance would've gone playing under the 666 rule. :shh

Rance would have been amazing either way.

He always found a path forward.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #708 on: August 14, 2023, 05:47:38 PM »
‘What’s he thinking?’: Noah Balta’s ‘slack’ approach to Max King match-up exposed

Ben Waterworth and NCA NewsWire
Fox Sports
August 14th, 2023

Dual All-Australian Leigh Montagna has been left flabbergasted by the space Noah Balta gifted six-goal star Max King in St Kilda’s big win over Richmond, suggesting the key defender “fell asleep at the wheel”.

An equal career-high six-goal bag from King on Sunday all but extinguished Richmond’s finals dream as the star forward propelled the Saints to a convincing 36-point win at Marvel Stadium.

King destroyed Balta, who was caught ball-watching and guarding space far too often in their one-on-one match-up.

“Saints fans would’ve been pumped today to see Max King, because we were concerned when he hurt the shoulder a second time his season was done. To come out and kick six goals – and to do it on an opponent in Noah Balta, who’s getting a lot of praise for his intercept marking ability,” Montagna told Fox Footy’s First Crack.

“Today, I’m not sure what happened to Noah Balta. He fell asleep at the wheel.”

Montagna pointed to three instances from Sunday’s game where Balta didn’t pay close enough attention to King, with all passages leading to a King mark inside 50.

After King kicked his sixth goal, first-year Tiger Tylar Young was moved onto him, but the Saints had essentially already sealed victory.

“He just gave him a leg rope that invited Max King to get his confidence up – and when that was the case, he was away,” Montagna said.

“Sometimes he (Balta) reminds me a little bit of Sam Frost at times because he does some great things, but other times you scratch your head and think: What’s he thinking? I know he’s an intercept mark player, but there’s a difference between being aggressive and just being slack.

“They waited until he (King) had kicked six goals to make the move. Tylar Young, who’s been praised as a lockdown defender, eventually went to Max King maybe late in the third quarter – and Max King didn’t touch it after that. But the damage was already done.”

Tigers interim coach Andrew McQualter acknowledged Balta’s job “first and foremost is to absolutely defend his player first”, but said the backman wasn’t helped by poor Richmond ball use up the field.

“All of the players that play in defence, that’s their first job, and then if you can intercept the ball, great,” McQualter told reporters.

“That’s not his intention. That’s not his instruction. And some of the turnovers tonight were pretty difficult for Noah to defend at times as well.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-news-2023-noah-balta-match-up-on-max-king-exposed-stats-ross-lyon-press-conference-after-st-kilda-beat-richmond/news-story/d34af5249295dca5005b5f52513519c1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #709 on: August 14, 2023, 06:40:59 PM »
The examples shown on First Crack last night:

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #710 on: August 14, 2023, 07:23:02 PM »
It's as much as a mcqualter issue as well as Noah. As a coach you would think this would have got sorted long before they moved young on him. Seeing him on the boundary line with that blank face, i actually think he was as lost as Balta was yesterday.

For all we know it could have been his mixed messaging that resulted in Noahs last few games at marvel  :shh
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #711 on: August 14, 2023, 07:37:58 PM »
It's as much as a mcqualter issue as well as Noah. As a coach you would think this would have got sorted long before they moved young on him. Seeing him on the boundary line with that blank face, i actually think he was as lost as Balta was yesterday.

For all we know it could have been his mixed messaging that resulted in Noahs last few games at marvel  :shh

And rutten too.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #712 on: August 14, 2023, 07:40:57 PM »
Perhaps a runner goes out and tells him to get closer??
And if he didn’t then bench him.

Sorry that would be sensible

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #713 on: August 14, 2023, 08:04:27 PM »
Surely the player has to take responsibility? I think he just over estimates his athleticism at times. Yeah like his closing speed and intercept ability is incredible. But not give max king 20m incredible.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #714 on: August 14, 2023, 09:58:26 PM »
Surely the player has to take responsibility? I think he just over estimates his athleticism at times. Yeah like his closing speed and intercept ability is incredible. But not give max king 20m incredible.

Yep. Maybe he’s just spent? It’s been a long year and he’s been under siege pretty much the entire year.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #715 on: August 14, 2023, 11:58:44 PM »

I think it was a huge mistake not dropping Balta after that Melbourne game. That kind of stuff is an absolute no no and shouldn’t be tolerated at this club.

I’m not sure McQualter has the balls to make those tough decisions that raise standards immediately.

Balta continues to get away with substandard defensive practices and it will get worse if something isn’t done about it.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #716 on: August 15, 2023, 12:19:20 AM »

Yep. Maybe he’s just spent? It’s been a long year and he’s been under siege pretty much the entire year.

That’s a good point. Broad looks cooked and out of petrol tickets as well

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #717 on: August 15, 2023, 12:39:42 AM »
He shouldn't be given he had a month off. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #718 on: August 15, 2023, 04:54:36 PM »
Playing in the Richmond backline the past 2-3 years would make anyone age rapidly

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #719 on: August 19, 2023, 06:19:02 PM »
Play him forward or trade him.... :shh

- Thomas Sowell