Author Topic: Tigers to receive a timely shot of experience (RFC Site: by Tezza)  (Read 606 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Tigers to receive a timely shot of experience
11:20:55 AM Thu 2 March, 2006

Richmond coach Terry Wallace
richmondfc.com.au

After playing Hawthorn in the opening round of the NAB Cup last weekend, it is still difficult to gauge where we are placed in comparison to the 15 other league teams.

Although it was disappointing to lose a winnable game, the team still has a huge upside with regards to those who did not play against the Hawks.

Our last three encounters with Hawthorn have been extremely close, with us winning both last season and the Hawks getting the victory last Saturday.

While not looking for excuses, we had at least 10 players, who would be considered for senior selection in the opening round of the home-and-away season, unavailable last week, seven of whom will be back for this weekend’s match against the Bulldogs in Shepparton.

Eight of the players missing had racked up a combined tally of 1,048 games of AFL football, at an average of about 130 senior appearances each.

That is a massive amount of experience out of the team, while 10 of those players representing the Club last weekend had only 148 games experience, or an average of 14 games per player.

Last year in the pre-season series, we lost the corresponding match to Collingwood in similar circumstances.

On that particular night, however, we had most senior players available and on the track, whereas this year we should be peaking in about 3-4 weeks.

Early in last Saturday’s game, inexperience led to poor decision-making and turn-overs, which cost the team valuable goals and, in the end, probably cost us the game, as the second half we were forced to play catch-up football.

There are positives and negatives to come out of every match, and one of the most pleasing aspects last Saturday was the return of David Rodan from injury.

‘D-Rod’ showed enough in his first hit-out against another side for 12 months to suggest that he is over his injury concerns and ready to complete a full year in the Yellow and Black.

I also thought a couple of our inexperienced players in the backline performed quite well . . . Both Jay Schulz and Andrew Raines have played very little senior football, but showed that they have matured and may be ready for the permanent step up to the game’s highest level.

If so, this will be a real bonus, as we need some of our third and fourth-year players to start progressing through the ranks.

A couple of our first-gamers also showed enough to suggest that they will add to our depth in season 2006.

My major disappointment was that some of our senior players did not play to a level or standard that I have come to expect from them.

I know, however, that they are equally as disappointed and have been super-reliable in my first 12 months at the Club.

Therefore, I am confident of them bouncing straight back and finding top form over the next few weeks.

Barring injury in the last few practice matches, we should have virtually every player to pick from for our Round 1 clash with the Western Bulldogs.

Mark Chaffey has been restricted most of the summer and is behind in his preparation, while Kel Moore has battled groin soreness in recent weeks.

A couple of other players will be back on the track and fighting for senior selection.

We must use the next few weeks to hone our game.

Our skill level and conversion rate still need to improve, while settling the team down in preparation for the early rounds, also is important.

This weekend we travel to Shepparton to play the Bulldogs, and I am quite sure that neither club will want to show their hand in this clash . . .

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=248851

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
Re: Tigers to receive a timely shot of experience (RFC Site: by Tezza)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 02:56:57 PM »
This weekend we travel to Shepparton to play the Bulldogs, and I am quite sure that neither club will want to show their hand in this clash . . .

this speaks volumes  esp when its from the coach
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
Re: Tigers to receive a timely shot of experience (RFC Site: by Tezza)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 11:15:04 PM »
Come off it Tezza!

If you expect players like Tivendale, Chaffey, Gaspar, Kellaway are gonna make a big difference then I'm afraid you're a bit deluded.

Let's hope he doesn't really believe this and it's just a PR spin.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?