Author Topic: Liam Baker [merged]  (Read 74728 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Liam Baker [merged]
« on: November 27, 2017, 07:22:43 PM »
Liam Baker

Date of birth: 27/1/1998
Height: 173cm
Weight: 67kg
Position:  Midfielder/forward

Liam played with West Perth in 2016 and represented WA at u18 national level. In 2017 he moved clubs to Subiaco where he played 13 league games as a midfielder/forward. He averaged 16 disposals and kicked 19 goals this season with four tackles per game. Liam is a superbly balanced player who is highly skilled on both sides of his body with elite crumbing ability. Liam has great defensive instincts as a forward, constantly harassing the opposition and intercepting loose balls. Liam ran a 10:24 3km time trial at the 2016 National Combine to rank in the top 15 of that draft class.

We are delighted to add Liam to our midfield and forward mix.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-11-27/baker-a-tiger-rookie
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 01:38:24 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Liam Baker [merged]
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 07:24:52 PM »

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »
Welcome to tiger land.  As a small forward rookie ATM you seriously have your work cut out for you to even stay on the list let alone play 1sts. Good Luck your gonna need it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:10:12 PM by tdy »

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 07:52:18 PM »
Looks more like a mid than a small forward IMHO.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 08:11:17 PM »
Looks more like a mid than a small forward IMHO.

Totally agree with that beautifully balanced on both sides to.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 04:44:35 AM »
Decent possession and high tackle numbers in the 3 WAFL finals he played this year.

Baker's WAFL stats: http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/6106

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 03:22:37 PM »
What the club says:

"Liam's a small midfielder/forward. He played in the national carnival for WA last year and was a bit unlucky, I thought, to not get drafted. We just thought that as much as our list is reasonably full of small forward/midfielders … Liam's talent was too good to ignore. His talent, his competitiveness and his workrate was just such high quality that we were happy to add him to our list."

- Recruiting manager Matthew Clarke

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-27/rookie-draft-washup-who-did-your-club-get

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 06:12:21 PM »
Would have preferred another tall personally but welcome aboard anyway!

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 09:41:46 AM »
It seems we saw him as clearly the best talent available and I'm fine with that approach.

Clarke's done a good job these past few years so I'm happy to back him in.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 04:37:49 PM »
He's played seniors in the wafl against big body's so if needed he can play.Was one of Subiacos best in wafl gf against a lot of dockers listed players.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 02:40:48 AM »
Dual premiership coach of WAFL club Subiaco Jarrad Schofield is convinced Richmond rookie draft selection Liam Baker possesses the required attributes to play AFL football.

Baker, 19, played 13 games, kicked 19 goals for Subiaco, and averaged 16 disposals per match in his first season at the club this year after transferring from West Perth, when he missed out on being drafted to the AFL at the end of 2016.

The tenacious, skilful small forward was the WA Lions’ best player in their preliminary final victory over South Fremantle, picking up 17 disposals, kicking three goals, and earning high praise for the crucial strong defensive pressure he applied throughout the match.

He subsequently was one of Subiaco’s best players in the grand final loss to Peel Thunder, finishing with 19 disposals.

In the lead-up to last Monday’s AFL rookie draft, Schofield had urged West Coast and Fremantle to look closely at securing Baker’s services, citing the capacity to lift for big games against quality opposition as evidence he could take the next step in his football career.

“He has only been at our club for a short time, but what he has shown in that time is his commitment and his want to improve his game,” Schofield said.

“The only thing that clubs may be concerned about is Liam’s stature, but he is a little terrier who can play that small forward half-forward role, which he did quite well for us.

“He is one of the guys who I would expect the WA clubs should be looking at.

“I think he has shown enough to indicate he can play at the highest level.

“He was close to getting drafted last year and he has improved again and shown that he can play league footy.”

“I am confident he is good enough to go. I just hope he doesn’t have to wait another 12 months for it to happen.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-12-02/baker-in-the-mix

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 06:37:58 PM »
First day at Punt Road for Liam Baker 👍 #gotiges

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/938636662204129280

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 12:20:57 AM »
I don't know why, but every time I see photos of this guy I think of Angus Young.

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 07:40:34 AM »
First day at Punt Road for Liam Baker 👍 #gotiges

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/938636662204129280

Looks a lot like Matt Mcdonough in that shot

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 08:07:51 AM »
Tiger rookie in contention for blockbuster debut

Daniel Cherny
The Age
23 July 2018

Richmond rookie Liam Baker is in contention to debut in Saturday’s MCG blockbuster against Collingwood after starring again in the VFL.

The diminutive West Australian kicked three goals as the Tigers consolidated their spot atop the VFL ladder with a 66-point win over Sandringham at Trevor Barker Beach Oval yesterday.

Baker, taken at pick 18 in last November’s rookie draft, was a travelling emergency for the Tigers game against Greater Western Sydney last weekend and Richmond VFL coach Craig McRae said after yesterday’s showing that the youngster looked ready to play at the top level, although conceded opportunities could be hard to come by after Richmond’s seniors thumped St Kilda on Friday.

“He’s in serious form. He was unlucky not to play a couple of weeks ago,” McRae said.

“He looks like an AFL footballer. He played as a genuine forward this week. Normally we’ll play him in mid roles, forward/mids. It probably held him out that he hadn’t played much forward with us.

“Today after what he did, I don’t think he’ll play much with us going forward.

“The way he played today, he’ll certainly grab the attention of the match committee.”

McRae said he was impressed with the way Baker adapted to ‘‘a different role’’. ‘‘He’s been playing a role where he’s around the ball at stoppages, where today he was having to create his own opportunity, so I was really pleased with how he did that.

“They played pretty well Friday night, so it’s going to be hard to get into that team but he looks really ready.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/tiger-rookie-in-contention-for-blockbuster-debut-20180722-p4zsz1.html