Author Topic: Cotchin's captaincy during finals series underplayed: Hardwick (Herald-Sun)  (Read 780 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond premiership: Damien Hardwick on Trent Cotchin’s finals series and Dustin Martin’s financial sacrifice

BEN BROAD,
Herald Sun
12 December 2017

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick says Trent Cotchin‘s efforts in leading the Tigers to premiership glory have been underplayed.

In a year that superstar midfielder Dustin Martin earned every major individual gong, Hardwick made special mention of the captain’s heroics in the club’s barnstorming run through September.

Earlier this year Cotchin wrote of the pressures he felt at leading his club, with some questioning if he was the right man to lead the Tigers to success.

Fast forward to the end of the season and with the 2017 premiership cup at Punt Road, Hardwick said the captain was largely responsible for the club’s fabled run, his ability to drive the game plan to his playing group a feature while his own performances in three finals inspired.

“He was enormous, his finals series as such — (and) it’s probably been a little bit understated by the media — but really from a football club we looked at it (closely),” Hardwick said in a wideranging interview on The Hen House podcast.

“You know his effort, his intent, his physicality at the contest throughout the finals series was as good as I’ve seen.

“I’ve been around footy a hell of a long time, seen some wonderful players play but his finals series was as good as I’ve seen from a captain.”

Martin was the star attraction at the Tigers on his way to sweeping footy’s awards season which included the Brownlow Medal, best and fairest, coaches award and AFLPA MVP.

Not surprisingly, Hardwick was all praise for his superstar who continued to perform each week amid ongoing speculation he might take up a lucrative free agency offer at a rival.

The coach admitted to a nervous period when it dawned on him Martin could in fact leave the Tigers, and gave credit to the explosive ballwinner for staying loyal.

“It was a nerve-racking period towards the end, especially when Dustin flew to New Zealand to speak to his Dad,” Hardwick said.

“That was probably the first time I thought ‘geez, this is it, he could go’, and to Dustin’s credit he turned down a life-changing amount of money to stay at our footy club.

“Don’t get me wrong, he’s getting paid very well but he’s worth every cent ... but he stayed loyal to our footy club.

“It’s funny, you put yourself in the same situation and it’s easy to say you’d stay but if we’re talking about a life-changing amount of money ... he chose the love of his teammates and the love of his club over the endorsement of money.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/damien-hardwick-says-trent-cotchins-effort-to-lead-richmond-to-premiership-has-been-undersold/news-story/f848d98f803036f3269b48a6b13daffd

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Cotchin and Martin are absolute legends!!!! :clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping :bow :bow :bow :bow
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Motchin destroyed Dangerwood in the qualifying final .
Unleash the tornado

Offline potsclub

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Motchin destroyed Dangerwood in the qualifying final .
I like Trusty better