Author Topic: Griff has retired  (Read 8588 times)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Griff has retired
« on: January 11, 2018, 03:50:33 PM »
Effective immediately.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
Re: Griff has retired
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 03:54:19 PM »
Weak as pee....

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 03:55:46 PM »
Griffiths calls time on AFL career

richmondfc.com.au   
January 11, 2018
3:44 PM

Richmond tall forward Ben Griffiths has announced his retirement from AFL football, effective immediately.

Griffiths has been offered a four-year scholarship at the University of Southern California, where he will pursue a career as an American football punter.

Griffiths was drafted to Richmond in the 2009 AFL National Draft with pick No. 19.

He made his AFL debut in Round 10 of the 2010 season and went on to play 63 senior matches for the Tigers.

"Firstly, I'd like to thank Richmond's players, coaches and staff for their support over the past eight years," Griffiths said.

"This was a difficult decision to make, but ultimately the opportunity was too good to refuse.

"It certainly wasn't something I had been contemplating and only arose two weeks ago.

“It was tough telling my teammates and coaches this morning but they understand and support my decision.

"I’ll always be grateful for the opportunity to play AFL football and it was an honour to represent the Richmond Football Club.”

Richmond's general manager - football, Neil Balme, said Griffiths would be missed at Tigerland.

"This is a great opportunity for Ben and we thank him for his service over the past eight years," Balme said.

“It came as a shock when Ben made the announcement on Thursday morning.

“Coming in to season 2018, we expected Ben to put together a strong pre-season and again feature as a forward target for us.

“However, we understand this opportunity was too good for him to say no to and we support his decision.

"Ben is a naturally talented athlete and I have no doubt he will quickly adapt to American football.

"I wish Ben and the Griffiths family all the best for the future."

The 26-year-old was contracted with the Tigers until the end of 2018.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-01-11/ben-griffiths-retirement
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 04:12:54 PM »
After everything we've done to support him, he dumps on our face.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

tony_montana

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 04:23:05 PM »
wouldve been nice to know pre draft..

Anyhow, good luck to him

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 04:24:52 PM »
Timing still immaculate as ever - six weeks after the draft.....useless great lump....oh well...good riddance...
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 05:09:43 PM »
My expectations for Griff in 2018 were pretty low .

I was predicting another concussion in the opening rounds followed by a 3 month stint the sidelines. No doubt would of finished the year playing in the VFL.

Nothing lost here except a whipping boy .
Unleash the tornado

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 05:11:43 PM »
People seem upset but it was the right decision. Ben was a big risk with his concussion issues, he gets an opportunity to play another sport whilst getting a good education. We save $250,000-$300,000 a year on the salary cap which I imagine will be a big help to us now
and down the track. Whilst people wanted this decision predraft, we did take Callum Coleman Jones, Noah Bolta and Ben Miller in the draft
so someone will definitely get an opportunity now from that group. Also with the amount of litigation going on in terms of concussions, when Ben goes and plays American Football, our risk will be mitigated because American Football is also a contact sport. So for me its a winner all round, especially salary cap wise.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 06:11:03 PM »
People seem upset but it was the right decision. Ben was a big risk with his concussion issues, he gets an opportunity to play another sport whilst getting a good education. We save $250,000-$300,000 a year on the salary cap which I imagine will be a big help to us now
and down the track. Whilst people wanted this decision predraft, we did take Callum Coleman Jones, Noah Bolta and Ben Miller in the draft
so someone will definitely get an opportunity now from that group. Also with the amount of litigation going on in terms of concussions, when Ben goes and plays American Football, our risk will be mitigated because American Football is also a contact sport. So for me its a winner all round, especially salary cap wise.

He should've done it in October - he waited till he had a better off. That's what annoys me.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 06:11:27 PM »
Can we upgrade a rookie?

Good for us this decision, but proves what a fool
he is. Just woke up this year and said I’m done did he?

Don’t worry about the draft period.

Still it’s a great thing this pussy is out of our club.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 06:33:06 PM »
Congratulations on the 4 year contract Griffo.

Hope your life continues to improve after the injury worries.
Well done and thanks for your efforts.

dwaino

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 06:38:53 PM »
Let’s recruit a replacement. Oh wait...

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 06:57:34 PM »
Just frees up a little more room for Lynch in the TPP......  :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 07:20:51 PM »
Thanks Griff  , pity your career was cut short by constant concussions, but all the best for the future

We can upgrade a rookie talk, and the good news we have a few talls who will compete for CHF

And the big question,Who is the new whipping boy! Haters have got to hate

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 07:47:07 PM »
Thanks for all the years of hard slog & good luck for the future in gridiron ... I mean, those high-tech gridiron helmets stop concussions completely ... err ... because they were made by NASA ... err ... who never get anything wrong ... err ... right?   :-\ 
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!