Author Topic: Dangerfield reveals the advice he gave to Dusty (SEN)  (Read 634 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dangerfield reveals the advice he gave to Dusty (SEN)
« on: January 15, 2018, 02:41:53 PM »
Dangerfield reveals the advice he gave to Dusty

By SEN
15 January 2018

After his sensational 2017 campaign, Dustin Martin has gotten advice from 2016 Brownlow Medallist Patrick Dangerfield on how to handle the demands that come with winning the game’s highest individual honour.

Known for his shy personality and hesitancy to speak in public, Martin was at the centre of Richmond’s drought-breaking premiership, hence receiving loads of media coverage.

Winning the Brownlow Medal heightened the attention on the tattooed Tiger, something Dangerfield also experienced in 2016.

The Geelong superstar admits becoming somewhat of a ‘yes’ man was wrong in retrospect, but believes Martin shouldn’t have the same problem.

“I was with Dusty last week,” Dangerfield told SEN Breakfast.

“I think he will handle it incredibly well. You got to enjoy the ride when you are lucky enough to win it.

“There are other opportunities that open up with potential partnerships with different companies. My advice would be to pick the right ones and let a few go through to the keeper.

“It is knowing when to say no to different opportunities that come along.

“I probably said yes to too many things and the risk of over exposure, doing too much and you end up getting sick of your own voice.

“I don’t think it’s going to be an issue for Dusty because he picks and chooses the things he does really well.

“The challenge is saying no to things, when you say, will I get this opportunity again?”

Martin’s mindfulness coach, Emma Murray, gave a unique insight into his mentality on No Man Should Ever Walk Alone yesterday.

"He doesn't question it, he doesn't do it for just half a game, or do it for one day, or do it on the field but not for training,” she said.

"If that's what you're telling him will work for him, then he does it religiously and his whole life has become more simple."

In 2017, Martin became the first player in AFL history to win the Brownlow, Norm Smith Medal and a premiership in the same year, cementing his status as the game’s most dominant force.

He averaged 29.8 disposals, 519.0 metres gained, 14.5 contested possessions, 6.4 clearances and 9.0 score involvements last season.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/01/14/dangerfield-reveals-the-advice-he-gave-to-dusty/

dwaino

Re: Dangerfield reveals the advice he gave to Dusty (SEN)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 05:04:11 PM »
Dusty give him any advice about winning a premiership?